It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

janesthesia HB User
Is it my gallbladder? Help, please!

Sometime last fall, I started getting intense pain in my abdomen with constant nausea, but more prominently underneath my rib cage. The pain often radiated to my back, but it was not nearly as intense. It felt sharp, and I could pinpoint exactly where it came from. Last October, I ate at a buffet and soon after, the pain was unbearable. It came out of nowhere. My whole abdomen was in pain. It lasted a few hours. I went to see a gastroenterologist and had an ultrasound & endoscopy performed in December. He didn't see anything suspicious. Soon, the pain disappeared, but the nausea stayed. I also have IBS, but I doubt this is related. Anyway, 4 days ago, the pain returned all over my abdomen. It wasn't too bad at first. I thought it was my IBS. After I had eaten some creamy spaghetti dish, the pain came full force and did not let up. I was also experiencing intense heartburn. I tried taking probiotics and OTC painkillers, Tums, acid reducers, etc. I was desperate. The pain underneath my ribcage was way more noticeable, especially on the right ride. I felt bloated, in pain, and had sharp pains along with nausea. It lasted for about 2.5-3 days. The heartburn and acid feeling lasted about a day and a half. I woke up yesterday morning, and the pain was just gone. Everything was just gone. Right now, I feel an occasional quick pain underneath my right ribcage. I thought it had been something I ate, but I tried the same foods I thought made me ill, and I'm fine.

I can't afford to go to the doctor's on a whim. I'm not sure if it's serious since the doctor ruled out my gallbladder. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Is it my gallbladder? Help, please!

I would suggest eating low-fat for the time being, and also get a HIDA Scan to determine gallbladder functionality. Your regular PCP can order it, you don't need to see a Gastroenterologist.

The Following User Says Thank You to rufous57 For This Useful Post:
janesthesia (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
(female)

janesthesia HB User

Is it typical for a gallbladder attack to last more than a day?

Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

They can, but as I remember, the first initial attacks I had lasted hours, this was before I understood the relationship of eating and those first attacks. It took doctors 2years to figure out what was wrong with me and by then, I swear the attacks lasted days! My gallbladder was non-functioning by the way, and this can only be detected by the HIDA scan. The UltraSound only revealed sludge and polyps on my gallbladder but this is not always visible. Hope you can see your doctor and get help soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to rufous57 For This Useful Post:
janesthesia (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
(female)

janesthesia HB User

Thank you! I'll make an appointment tomorrow.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
(female)

Mellybear23 HB User

When I had gallstones, I got the pain under my right rib cage, and it radiated into my back, all the way up to my shoulder blade. I was vomiting also. The pain was unbearable. The only thing that helped was morphine. If it is gallstones, fatty food will trigger the attacks. Fast food, eggs and many other fatty good gave me an attack. Prob best to go back to your doc and get them to do another ultrasound. Good luck!

Closed Thread