It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

terestrife HB User
Biliary colic w/ gallstone?

i was told i have this, they said its not blocking anything yet. but it will eventually, and its best to get the operation down now. is this really necessary? the pain happens every few months but yesterday it happened twice in one day. its a pain so intense that im in bed screaming and crying. is there any other way to deal with this?

i read online that a low fat diet can control the pain, and the surgery is just randomly suggested to all people with gallstones. in others i read the diet doesnt matter and complications can occur. still in others i read people can still have pains and complications after the surgery. and gallstones will still appear because the body cant control bile anymore.

what to do? im very confused!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
Re: Biliary colic w/ gallstone?

When you are bent over in agony this is a sign that you are passing gallstones. That you successfully passed them is good. The problem is that the stones are spiny and can scar the ducts leading to the intestines which can lead to pain and complications in the future. The stones can also block the ducts, leading to a medical emergency and immediate surgery.

Once you have gallbladder issues, they don't seem to be curable. There are medicines like Ursodiol that can dissolve many stones, it is an expensive treatment and ultimately stones will form again. There are several supplements that are advertised to treat gallbladder disease their efficacy is unclear. I think it is one thing to try supplements when you have early signs of gallbladder disease, but perhaps not too wise when you are at the stage of passing stones.

A low fat diet will cause the gallbladder to contract less often, so it is less likely to contract and push out stones, resulting in less pain. However, stones will continue to form in part because the gallbladder is not emptying as often.

You will probably need to have an ultrasound test so they can tell how many stones you have and how big they are.

Ultimately it is your decision. Most of the stories you read about bad outcomes following the surgery are from folks who have scarring and other complications before the surgery. It is true that stones can form in the ducts after the gallbladder is removed, but is apparently relatively rare. Most folks who have the surgery do fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Collector167 For This Useful Post:
terestrife (03-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
(female)

terestrife HB User

thank you for the reply. this is very scary for me, i'm not a person that gets sick. i have never had to go to a hospital before. so the thought of surgery is scary for me. even though i know its not a big surgery or anything. your answer is very informative and i will keep it in mind.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: terestrife
LellyM (03-30-2012), Tribalbob (03-27-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

keep in mind also that if the gb is very damaged, it could rupture and you would need emergency surgery to save your life. It's rare but leaving this condition uncared for is a very serious proposition as Collector described. I had mine out - at hospital at 5 AM, surgery and fully awakening in recovery was only 40 minutes and I left the hospital at 9 AM and was sound asleep in my bed by 10 AM. Easiest surgery I ever had!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #5
(male)

Tribalbob HB User

Terestrife, I was just like you a little over a month ago. I had infrequent attacks (maybe once a month) that were set off randomly. I could eat the same fatty foods 10 times and one out of those ten would set off an attack. I postpones my surgery only to get a massive attack the next day!

My attacks were usually at night and I wold be up for hours doubled over in agony. Then they started hitting me during the day and I had to go home from work a few times.

Let me give you some advice: stop reading about outcomes! I nearly killed myself with anxiety because I kept going online and reading the horror stories about post-surgery. Trust me, the surgery is a snap and for every one person with complications after, I bet there are 10 who are just fine. I'm now one month post-op.

I've eaten things that set off my attacks before with no problems. Having the GB removed is no biggie, and you'll feel so much better after.

I'll tell you one good side effect - after eating low fat for a month (as recommended after the surgery), I've effectively broken my addiction to fatty foods - so while I can eat pizza without pain, I just don't feel like it anymore

Oh and that was my first surgery too, and I'm about the biggest wuss when it comes to hospitals, so you'll be fine

Last edited by Tribalbob; 03-27-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
(female)

LellyM HB User

Tribalbob is quite right. Most people who post are the ones with horror stories.

I had mine out a month ago and I feel fine. Better than fine infact!

So if you have the change get rid of the little swine!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
(female)

terestrife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LellyM View Post
Tribalbob is quite right. Most people who post are the ones with horror stories.

I had mine out a month ago and I feel fine. Better than fine infact!

So if you have the change get rid of the little swine!
for a second there i thought that said "make a change little swine" lol anyway, im in the process of seeing if i could get rid of it. turns out that medicaid is getting really weird lately. my sister and niece were able to get rid of their gallbladder, and they didnt have anything blocked. they did theirs 4-5 years ago. but they wont give me medicaid to take out mine since its not an emergency. im seeing what i can do to see if i can get it taken out. looks like the hospital wants me to wait till its blocking something or its bursting to help me out. im tempted to just ignore it for now.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
(male)

Tribalbob HB User

The fact your sister and niece had theirs out is a good indication you probably need it out too. My sister and grandpa had theirs out in addition to myself - it can be genetic in some cases.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
(female)

terestrife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribalbob View Post
The fact your sister and niece had theirs out is a good indication you probably need it out too. My sister and grandpa had theirs out in addition to myself - it can be genetic in some cases.
lol my mom told me that even my paternal grandma also had her gallbladder removed.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
(male)

Tribalbob HB User

Also, I'll reiterate something many told me before my surgery.

It won't get better.

It won't go away.

Those 'flushes' you read about on the internet at horse poo. They aren't REALLY flushing gallstones - and even if they were, that would be incredibly dangerous - what if one got stuck?

Sure, you could eat low fat for the rest of your life and -maybe- avoid attacks, but:

A) It's unlikely

B) It's dangerous

C) Is that really any way to live your life?

Last edited by Administrator; 04-03-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
(female)

terestrife HB User

what confuses me is that for some people it does seem to get better. this person says she left her gallstones and hasnt had an attack in 28 years supposedly.

since doctors suggest removal because of complications, i looked up info and it seems the chance of complications is very rare.

thats the bad thing about the internet its very contradictory. because some sites suggest the operation while others dont.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-03-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
(female)

LellyM HB User

You will always find people who have 1 or 2 attacks then go on a very low fat diet and all the trouble goes away. I tried that. Aftre my 1st attack it was nearly 6 months to the 2nd but there was a 2nd and a 3rd, 4th etc etc. They gradually got worse.

It is not so much the pain that means it is worth getting them sorted out. it is the other damage being done to your body.

I didn't have a clue how ill I must have been. Yet now i feel happy, rested and WELL. As I have said elsewhere, I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME) a few years ago as the doctors couldn't work out why i was so damned tired. yet now I have more energy than I have had in years.

Dr Google has a lot to answer for - people tend to post the very worst experiences almost as a badge of courage. But most people I have spoken to (and it is a lot) had the op and have never felt better.

Lxx

Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
(female)

terestrife HB User

Quote:
You will always find people who have 1 or 2 attacks then go on a very low fat diet and all the trouble goes away. I tried that. Aftre my 1st attack it was nearly 6 months to the 2nd but there was a 2nd and a 3rd, 4th etc etc. They gradually got worse.

It is not so much the pain that means it is worth getting them sorted out. it is the other damage being done to your body.

I didn't have a clue how ill I must have been. Yet now i feel happy, rested and WELL. As I have said elsewhere, I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME) a few years ago as the doctors couldn't work out why i was so damned tired. yet now I have more energy than I have had in years.

Dr Google has a lot to answer for - people tend to post the very worst experiences almost as a badge of courage. But most people I have spoken to (and it is a lot) had the op and have never felt better.

Lxx
thanks for taking the time to respond. Google is good cause it helps us learn a lot of info we normally wouldn't learn. but then thats what also makes it bad, it can be really confusing reading so many different opinions about the sam subject, you know? its nice to know that there are many people that feel better after getting it removed though.

for now, i went to medicaid and signed up and told them what was going on, and what the doctor suggested. I'm hoping i am able to get insurance, a couple of nights ago i woke up with the pain again. its really frustrating. i either wait for medicaid or wait for it to get worse and then the hospital won't be able to turn me away. but with waiting comes the risk of making it worse.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
(female)

LellyM HB User

My word, I am glad I am not part of the US health system. Long live the NHS!

If it is any comfort, i waited 6 years with regular attacks before my surgery and I am fine. So if you do decide to wait for medicaid then there is a reasonable chance you will be OK. Otherwise, is it worth investigating the costs of self funding? Having seen the bills for my private surgery here it was not as bad as i expected. less than $3000 I think.

Just a thought. I don't know your situation so I can't really comment.

Don't worry!

Lx

Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
(female)

terestrife HB User

Quote:
My word, I am glad I am not part of the US health system. Long live the NHS!

If it is any comfort, i waited 6 years with regular attacks before my surgery and I am fine. So if you do decide to wait for medicaid then there is a reasonable chance you will be OK. Otherwise, is it worth investigating the costs of self funding? Having seen the bills for my private surgery here it was not as bad as i expected. less than $3000 I think.

Just a thought. I don't know your situation so I can't really comment.

Don't worry!

Lx
thanks, for the advice. the cost is not that bad. i'll have to see how much it would cost around here though, it might be different. but right now I'm struggling with money so id have to see if i can save up for it. for now, i'll let you know once i hear from medicaid.

Closed Thread