It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

Stephy95 HB User
blood work levels after gallbladder surgery

I had my gallbladder removed 10 days ago. Blood work done 7 days after now coming back with very high levels of ALT, AST, ALK PHOS and Vit B12. When looking these up they all indicate liver disease. However would just having my gallbladder removed raise these levels?

Has anyone else had very high blood work results after gallbladder surgery?

Getting a little worried....thanks

Old 03-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
(female)

TremoringFun HB User
Re: blood work levels after gallbladder surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy95 View Post
I had my gallbladder removed 10 days ago. Blood work done 7 days after now coming back with very high levels of ALT, AST, ALK PHOS and Vit B12. When looking these up they all indicate liver disease. However would just having my gallbladder removed raise these levels?

Has anyone else had very high blood work results after gallbladder surgery?

Getting a little worried....thanks
I'll just start this with the normal, I am not a doctor but, I do work in medicine so I'm not taking a super wild guess at this.

So anyway, when your gallbladder is removed it is possible that your liver could be nicked or bruised or irritated, etc since they sit so very closely together. High levels of ALT, AST, etc do indicate liver disease but they can also indicate that your liver has been "damaged" for lack of a better word during surgery and is now in the process of healing. Kind of like when you have an infection, your white blood cells will skyrocket.

The Following User Says Thank You to TremoringFun For This Useful Post:
Stephy95 (03-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would be interested in what these same levels were right before surgery. If they were elevated then, enough time may not have passed for them to go back to normal. I know my billirubin was extremely elevated before I had my gb out. 3 months later it was back to normal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Stephy95 (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
(female)

Stephy95 HB User

I dont have the results from right before as this was done as an emergency surgery. I do know they were very high right after as the nurse said to be prepared that the Dr. may not release me that day. He did however had me return 5 days later for blood work, those results are what I have and show very high levels of ALT, AST, B12....however my billirubin
is normal....what Tremoringfun said makes sense I go see the PA tomorrow (DR out of town) but have been sitting on these results for a couple days and getting nervous. Sometimes getting results and looking on internet before meeting with DR may not be a good thing
Thanks

Closed Thread