It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
(female)

LellyM HB User
Cool For Anyone Debating the Surgery

OK, before I had the surgery i wondered if anyone ever had a good experience as it seemed everything that "Dr Google" told me was bad. Then i realised many people only post when things go wrong so this is my story to hopefully give people encourgement.

I had been suffering with my gallbladder for 6 or 7 years before the surgeon said "Yes".

As I am a large lady (being delicate here - I look like a wrestler). The surgeon put me on a very restrictive diet for 2 weeks beforehand to shrink my liver. This was hell. I lived on lettuce and courgettes for 2 weeks but the plus side was I lost a stone in weight.

I was fortunate to have private health care so my experience was different to anyone in the UK who has gone NHS.

So I scheduled the surgery and on the day I arrived at about midday, was taken to my room and was (of course) nil by mouth.

The surgeon and anethsatist came to see me then I got to wear the lovely gown (which being, as I said, large, meant my backside was hanging in the fresh air.) and net knickers and pressure socks (for DVT).

I then waited a while and was asked to walk down to surgery. Sat there for a few mins then went into anaesthetic where I climbed onto the trolly. They stuck the canula into my hand then started to pump the drugs. For a few mins nothing hapened then suddenly my head span and everything went black.

I woke up seemingly seconds later with an oxygen mask on feeling as though i had been gut puched. They replaced the mask with a nose clip then started to talk to me. I wasn't really all there but the surgeon came in to tell me all had gone ok.

Eventually they wheeled me back to my room where I dozed for the rest of the afternoon (I had been in surgery for about an hour).

Then a nurse came to see me and helped me change out of the robe into my own night clothes. She then clanged the dressings on the various incisions and i went to sleep.

Next day I was sore but not too bad. Co Codamol took care of the worst of it. I was able to get out of bed and go to the loo which was good as i hate bedpans!

I then took a look at my stomach - I looked like something out of psycho as though some nutter had stabbed me repeatedly!

All in all I had 5 dressings. 1 large one on my bellybutton, 1 small one on the puncture where the inflate yr stomach and 3 medium sized ones where they had stuck the instruments. 7 stitches was all.

The day after the op I was wearing normal clothes and eating normaly so I was allowed to go home.

Signed off from work for 2 weeks and that was realistic. I felt fine after a week unless i tried anything strenuous then I just got very tired. Now i am back to normal although i cannot carry anything heavy.

Food wise, I have eaten what I wanted. If it went straight through or caused pain I wouldn't have it again. Nothing reacted though. I did not realise how bad I felt before the op.

I had been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME) and Depression a couple of years ago. Yet since having my GB removed all of the symptoms have gone and I have energy again. I am losing weight steadily as well. around 3/4 of a stone each 2 weeks.

So, if you have GB problems and are offered surgery, go for it. I do not regret 1 thing about it all - even the scars are quite small (most < 1inch, bellybutton 3 inches).

Lxx

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LellyM For This Useful Post:
janewhite1 (04-07-2012), jellygirl (04-10-2012), michan (06-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
(male)

Russ V HB User
Re: For Anyone Debating the Surgery

It's good to hear a positive story. I have an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday. I had an ultrasound...no stones. Then a HIDA scan, which showed my ejection fraction was 6%. I'll find out for sure on Tuesday, but it looks like the gallbladder has to come out.

Thanks again for your post.

UPDATE: It's coming out Monday!

Last edited by Russ V; 04-10-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
(female)

jellygirl HB User

Thanks for the info - glad you had a good experience. Regarding your current weight loss - is this due to specifically dieting or is it a result of the op?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
(male)

Tribalbob HB User

I lost weight too, but that was from my post-op low fat diet

Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
(female)

pixiehickies HB Userpixiehickies HB Userpixiehickies HB User

Thank you for posting your positive experience and congrats on getting the surgery.

I am sorry if I am going slightly off topic, but what were your symptoms and initial diagnosis i.e. stones or non-function?

The reason I ask is that I have finally been diagnosed with Acalculous Cholecystitis after getting a HIDA via the NHS. I am going to see a surgeon next week about options and it would benefit me greatly to know a bit more about your experience if that's ok.

Congrats again and I hope all is well.

Pixie xx

Closed Thread