It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
(female)

coolvr35 HB User
Wink hida scan 28% should i have GP remove or just wait?

Hi

I am debating on should i have GB removed or wait? I really don't feel like having surgery but if i must i will. I have had no pain since the dr put me on nexium. I been fine since I had a hida scan done 2 days ago and the nurse said my ef function was 28%. I was wonder is there any way i can avoid having GB removed, how can i revese this effect and that they are rushing thing and that they are not really answering my question as to why all of a sudden my GB is not working properly, I told dr, i will go and talk with a surgeron, but i feel i should just wait, but i don't want it to get to a point where I wait to long and I really do need it. The dr said that it was a chance that my GB could start working back on it on, but with a low ef of 28% he reccomend me to remove it just in case, but just in case is not good enough for me so any info or advice on this i will truely appreciate it thanks in advance.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: hida scan 28% should i have GP remove or just wait?

The main concern is that since the gb is obviously damaged, it's possible that infection could set in and it rupture. You don't want to get to that point. I do understand your reluctance though. However, there is no way to un-damage it. It may never get worse but it won't get better. And the surgery is so blasted easy. Gosh...I jogged 1 week to the day after having mine out. Just eat no fat so that you won't have any attacks before you have it out - and continue that for 2-3 weeks after so the bile duct "comes online" slowly and gets up and running properly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
coolvr35 (04-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

I think given how high your ejection rate is that you are right to be cautious and explore your options. Are there any cures out there? Probably not. Eventually it will have to come out.

Five years ago I had a HIDA scan and an ejection rate of 23%. Since then I have been on a steady regimen of Ursodiol/actigall which can dissolve gallstones. I have been pain free 95% of the time. The downside--it is rather expensive so you need good insurance.

If you search the internet there are alternatives remedies. From what I have read the olive oil and lemon juice treatment is rather worthless. However, there are suggestions that things like lecithin, apples/malic acid, and cholesterol lowering medications may be helpful. There is one commercial product aimed specifically at this problem (we cannot name them on this board) that containsinene, camphene, cineol, menthone , menthol, borneol, and olive oil. Again I am unclear how effective any of these are. It would seem that one goal is to lower the amount of cholesterol in the gallbladder so that it mixes with the bile instead of precipitating out and forming stones.

Nexium and PPI's may present a problem. I used them initially and got some relief. However, there was a small study done several years ago that claims that they will slow down the contractions of the gallbladder.

Titchou is right as always about the risk, however you are in better shape than those who come on here with a 5% ejection rate and need their gallbladder removed now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Collector167 For This Useful Post:
coolvr35 (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
(female)

coolvr35 HB User
Smile Re: hida scan 28% should i have GP remove or just wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
The main concern is that since the gb is obviously damaged, it's possible that infection could set in and it rupture. You don't want to get to that point. I do understand your reluctance though. However, there is no way to un-damage it. It may never get worse but it won't get better. And the surgery is so blasted easy. Gosh...I jogged 1 week to the day after having mine out. Just eat no fat so that you won't have any attacks before you have it out - and continue that for 2-3 weeks after so the bile duct "comes online" slowly and gets up and running properly.
Thank you for your info, but the concern i have is that my Gb is not diease and i have no pain, no gallbladder stones so have a costly sugery, when i have no complains from my gb seems unnecessary at this time, and i'm not saying that i don't want it done but i would like to explore more on this instead of just getting it out at this time... but think you for your insight and i glad your experience was a good one.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

What caused you to have the ultrasound and HIDA scan? Something was going on or you wouldn't just go pick these tests out of the blue to have. And the gb is obviously compromised as the rate is low. You could wait a little longer but I would definitelt get retested in 8-10 months....that rate could plumet overnight.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
(female)

coolvr35 HB User
Cool Re: hida scan 28% should i have GP remove or just wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
What caused you to have the ultrasound and HIDA scan? Something was going on or you wouldn't just go pick these tests out of the blue to have. And the gb is obviously compromised as the rate is low. You could wait a little longer but I would definitelt get retested in 8-10 months....that rate could plumet overnight.
I was have extreme bouts of acid relflux and i want to know were it was come from done every test under the sun even had a ultra sound of liver and kidney and all came back negative, except they found out i had a hernial hernia which they then put me on nexium. I have read that nexium slow down your gb function, so that why when he had we to go do the hital scan i was kind of worry any way that it would be kind of low due to the nexium i been taken. I really have not experience any of gb related problems so when i go the result back i was kind of suprised. because pretty well and have not had any complaints besides acid reflux and that now has been under control now due to the nexium. I still going to go see a sugeron but i think for now until i know more about this i not going through with the surgery. But think you for your advice get test again in 8-10 months just to check, but i think i need to find another alterive med other that nexium, may be this will help with the gb, who knows... thank you for take the time to read and give me advice on this i truely appreciated it..

Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Have you considered having the hernia repaired? It's pretty simple these days. But at any rate, with the rate that close to normal and no real issues with the gb specifically, I'd say waiting isn't a bad thing. Just don't forget about it and do keep tabs on it. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
coolvr35 (04-12-2012)
Closed Thread