It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
(female)

kbteague HB User
Question ? Is this my gallbladder? Normal tests, next steps???

Hello,

I am new to the HBoards and need some help, I will apologize in advance for the long post.

Starting in January I have had what I thought were 4 "stomach viruses", nausea, vomiting, pain, and yellow diarreah. During my last episode at the end of April the pain was bad enough I went to dr. After feeling on my abdomen and finding bile in my urine, she sent me to have blood tests and an ultrasound. All came back normal.

Then 3 weeks ago, it started again in the morning before work. I had nausea and vomited once (no food all fluid or bile), slimy or mucus surrounding diarreah, after being at work for several hours the pain became severe. The pain was on the right side above and below my belly button and went around to my back. Tried to get to dr, who didn't have an appt. until later in the day. While on the phone the nurse asked me about symptoms and instructed me to go the the ER. ER did CT with IV contrast and blood tests after giving me pain and nausea meds. Before 3 hours pain returned and Dr. said nothing showed on tests. Suggested I may have "chronic appendicitis" but not acute so go home drink fluids, make an appt. with regular dr offered pain meds for home, but said I had some so no need. (When I've gotten prescriptions for pain I never take all of them so I have plenty, if I'm taking pain meds I'm in serious pain)!

No pain when I saw regular doctor the next Tuesday morning. Dr. said maybe it was an ovarian cyst. Offered to send me for another ultrasound. I said no and went home. Later in the day and that night the pain returned. I called the dr. in the morning, went in and saw the NP at 8:45am. She felt around said maybe appendix so was going to call for surgical consult if it was not a cyst on my right ovary. Sent me for another ultrasound. As I was leaving the hospital from the ultrasound the nurse called said it was not a cyst and was calling a surgeon. Go home and rest, drink fluids, take pain meds. At noon she called said she couldn't get appt, would try again tomorrow. Thursday after not hearing back, I called and asked about appt. The NP and Dr. decided not to schedule consult, was just a burst cyst. I asked if it was a cyst, "why I still had pain, low grade fever, and nausea?" She said if you are still having those symptoms go back to ER. Another trip to ER, more pain meds, nausea meds, blood tests, and CT with IV contrast and drinking contrast. Again all normal. No gallstones, no inflammation of appendix, no kidney stones, etc. Secondary finding was a cyst/nodule on my kidney and possible heptic cyst (is this liver). Told me iodine contrast I drank was a laxative so I may have a lot of diarreah, which I did! Referred me to GI doctor.

Appt. with GI dr went well after many questions and probing, looking at ultrasounds, and CTs, he thought it was not appendix but gallbladder. Of course, I had no pain when I went to see him. GI dr suggested HIDA scan and endoscopy/colonoscopy. He told me to stay away from dairy and high fat. I ate a buffalo chicken sandwich after leaving his office, thinking a grilled chicken in a wrap would be ok. That night the pain started and nausea! So, since Tuesday of last week, I have eaten nothing but toast, noodles or instant mashed potatoes. Over the Memorial Holiday I tried to eat a pinwheel finger sandwich with turkey and ranch and was in immediate pain and had the nausea. I also have run a low grade fever off and on or had chills on many occassions. I was able to eat some tomato soup with no milk without symptoms. I had my HIDA scan on Tuesday afternoon after fasting for 12 hours per instruction. I reacted with nausea and pain after the CCK (fat was injected over 45 minutes) which got worse as I drove home and that evening. My HIDA scan came back with 60%, so normal.

So, now I have no visible gallstones, normal HIDA scan after fasting but am in moderate to severe pain. I am nauseated most of the time or have crazy burps (normally not a burper). I am afraid to eat. Although when the nurse said the dr wanted to wait until after the colonscopy/endoscopy before taking action, I teased and said I was going to eat a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit and see what happens. My grandmother had her GB out after a fried egg sandwich. I have to wait 2 more weeks for the colon/endoscopy. I asked about the pain and nausea and was told they could give me phengren. That just makes me sleepy and I can't work on it.

So, what should I do? Do you all think it is my gallbladder? Could it not have been in "attack" mode during the scan because I had fasted? Could it be something else? I'm tired of this pain and nausea. I know I haven't dealt with this for years as many of you have/did. I did have a similar situation 10 years ago, with no HIDA scan and they told me it was IBS. I just can't imagine the pain would be so high on my right side and around on my back near shoulderblade if it was IBS. Also, don't think it would be this constant. It is always a dull pain with occassional severe pains that doesn't really go away with pain meds. It only takes the "edge" off enough so I can sleep some. Also I have found a "knot" on my right side near my ribcage about the size of a quarter. I'm frustrated of being in pain and tired cause I can't sleep or eat.

Need your opinions please! I guess I am going to have to wait it out. But wondering if I should go ahead and eat something that will start it all and go to ER and tell them to do HIDA scan?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
(male)

Tribalbob HB User
Re: ? Is this my gallbladder? Normal tests, next steps???

Sounds like it could be.

The HIDA test (to my knowledge) is accurate - but gallstones can sometimes be so small, they do not show up easily on an U/S. Additionally, 'sludge' within the gallbladder can also be easily missed. My Ultrasound showed two large stones (1cm and 1.5cm) but when the finally pulled it out; it was filled with hundreds of little stones.

Unfortunately, this all comes down to your decision. Obviously you should do some research and come to your own conclusion; but if I were you, I'd have it pulled. You don't NEED your gallbladder; removing it won't do anything bad. At the very least, if you pull it and the pain doesn't go away - you ruled that out.

In the meantime, keep up the low fat. Low fat yogurt worked well for me as well as just plain, baked chicken breast. Also, avoid spice - that sometimes set it off for me (which was hell in its own right as I'm a huge curry nut).

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

kbteague HB User

Thanks Tribalbob,

I'm been waking up in pain too, this is getting old fast! I don't mind if they remove the gallbladder if it will stop all this, but they won't do anything yet. It could be worse, I could be waiting years like so many I've read about here. So, for now I'm hanging out waiting for the colonscopy/endoscopy on the 12th.

The Parish Nurse at work felt my "lump" and says it feels like my duodenum or connection between gallbladder and duo are "thickened". My husband says it feels real hard. I'll have the dr. feel it when I see him on the 12th.

Yes, for now staying low fat and trying different foods. I tried the baked chicken breast and reacted horribly. Yeah, I love spicy,flavoral foods and am really having trouble with this bland, bland, bland diet. I read a "gallbladder diet site" and tomatoes are the only thing I've found besides the bland that I can eat. And as tempted as I am to go eat a fried greasy meal and see if it brings on symptoms before I go to dr, I will abstain for fear of the pain.

Funny you mention in another post about sitting ****** style and bending over a pillow. I've been doing this in my chair in the evenings and it seems to help. I've also found if I lie on my left side with pillow pushed against my abdomen and my legs tucked into it as far as I can has worked to help some as well and helps me to sleep.

Thanks gain...and I'll let all know what happens after my tests. Hopefully relief will come soon!

Old 06-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
(male)

Tribalbob HB User

I don't think removing the gallbladder will make it any worse - but you also want to be careful not to wait too long. I've heard if the gallbladder ruptures, it can be a medical emergency. I don't want to scare you, but you should keep it in mind through this.

Keep us posted!

The Following User Says Thank You to Tribalbob For This Useful Post:
kbteague (06-02-2012)
Closed Thread