It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

michan HB Usermichan HB User
Gallbladder surgery... SCARED!

Hi everyone I am 20 years old female and Im scheduled to have my gallbladder taken out (Hopefully lap keyhole) on 12th June... which is next tuesday and just like other people were, I am very very very scared of the surgery.

This surgery is the first time that I will be going through. I have never went on the general anasthetic and just like others, I kept on reading the horror stories online which isn't helping my anxious towards to the surgery!!

I think I am very lucky that I have never had an propper pain attacks. Doctor found out about my 1.2cm gallstone and he told me to stay away from the fatty food until the surgery. I have been very careful about what I eat so luckily I've not experienced the horrible pain. I have lost about 22 pounds in a month because of the stomach cramps, nausea, diahorrea, indigestions etc which doctor recogns that it is caused by the gallbladder.

I am very anxious about the post-surgery. Im not too bothered about the surgery itself though. I've heard quite a lot of people after the surgery they were feeling bad. I have the biggest fear towards to the nausea and I am very scared that I would feel awful after the op.

I have been dealing with horrible diahorreas and all sorts of stuff for long time and I am hoping that this surgery will solve these problems... I want to have a good life again and be able to eat the stuff I want. I have became depressed because of the amount of the time I was ill.

I would like to hear a 'good' post-op stories, horror stories would just decrease my hope

Many thanks xxx mi

The following user gives a hug of support to michan:
sjb (06-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Gallbladder surgery... SCARED!

Odds are you are going to wake up from surgery and already know that you are better. I knew it the minute I woke up. No nausea, no pain, no nothing that had been going ong. I jogged 2 miles a week after having mine out and I was 59 years old at the time. So, it will be a breeze for you! Be sure and stay on the no/low fat diet for 2-3 weeks after so that the bile duct has a chance to get started correctly taking over for the gb. Then slowly get back to your regular diet. You'll be fine. Keep us posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
michan (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
(female)

Jacy56 HB UserJacy56 HB User

Michan,
Don't be worried about the surgery. You will be put to sleep and before you know it, it will be over. Laprascopic surgery leaves you with three small incisions and one in your navel. It will be a little sore in the beginning but heals quickly. I only used painkillers once when I came home but stopped because they made me nauseous and dizzy.
Keep us posted on your progress.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jacy56 For This Useful Post:
michan (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
(male)

BobMc HB User

Just had mine out today, about ten hours ago. So far, so good.

You'll often hear that it's mainly the problem cases that feel the need to post, and I think it's true. If you're young, in reasonably good health, have a good surgeon and have gone into it well educated, I think your odds are great to do fine. As Titchou recommended, from what I hear easing slowly into a normal diet is key to a good recovery, as is easing back into activity. Walking, light breathing exercises and gentle stretching seem to be helping me.

A quick thanks to all those here sharing their stories, knowledge and moral support. I didn't register until today but have been reading here for months. Some great self education to be had here, and I was able to feel I wasn't so alone as I went through this

Last edited by BobMc; 06-07-2012 at 08:11 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BobMc For This Useful Post:
michan (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
(female)

Thank you so much for the replies!! I feel happier after reading everyone's good stories.

Okay, its 3am right now and Im still awake. I've just had the pain attack which was really painful compared to what I've been having for past few weeks. Im feeling very sick too. Getting fed up with being ill!!

I've been really ill for over a year, feeling sick all the time and diahorrea. Did anyone felt sicky all the time before the surgery? Are you glad that its removed now?

I have severe anxiety problems and these positive stories really makes me feel better!

You guys are awesome, thank you

Mi xxx

Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Watch what you are eating! No fat - that means no dairy, milk, eggs, cheese, cream sauces, no salad dressing, nothing fried, plain chicken or turkey breast sandwiches, no mayo, plain baked potato, fat free yogurt, etc. You'll do fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
michan (06-08-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
(male)

BobMc HB User

Yes, I am glad mine is out. My surgeon told me that a healthy gallbladder is egg shaped and generally smooth and translucent, mine was cucumber shaped with a shriveled white exterior, and was filled with small stones. A healthy GB probably serves a purpose, though my doctor insists that they are completely vestigial, dating back to an age when we ate a lot more fatty meats. I don't think mine was storing any bile for me, and was only a source of pain, so I hope I am better off without.

I did feel sickly for a long time, even though I only had one full "gallbladder attack" in the last six weeks. I think my gallbladder itself was pretty sickly and maybe infected, and was dragging the rest of me down.

I do recommend sticking to a bland, safe diet; when I stayed with bananas, applesauce, rice, low fat yogurt, some baked chicken, the better I was. Eat light, stay away from fat, don't eat late, all helped me.

Last edited by BobMc; 06-07-2012 at 09:35 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BobMc For This Useful Post:
michan (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #8
(female)

Thank you so much for the diet advice!!

4 days until the surgery, and I actually cannot wait to get this dam thing taken out!! Last night was the worst night ever, I was in severe pain around my right rib and my back, couldn't lay down properly Felt really nauseous even though I didn't eat anything previously. Im going to stick with what everyone have said (Banana, rice etc) for the next 4 days.

For the pre-op did everyone stayed resting? For me walking around makes my gallbladder painful and makes me feel sicky. But because of that Im losing my muscles and apetite. Should I move around a bit more? or continue resting?

I hope I feel a lot better after the surgery, this illness is making me depressed every time :'(

Mi xxx

Old 06-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

I can't address that. For the weeks before I had mine out I upped my jogging mileage so I would be in really good shape for the procedure and recovery. I was terrified it might be weeks before I could run again. Shouldn't have worried...ran 1 wee after surgery. But at least I was in really good shape!

Old 06-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
(female)

Hmm. Im guessing its depending on people's symptom.
For me I can't even move around much. The horrible nausea attacks me when I move around :/ Nausea is the big part for me, constant nausea all the way through the day...

Old 06-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

I had the nausea too but not until a couple of weeks before the surgery. Mine had just been the stabbing pain attack thing before that. I think I probably lived on ginger ale, animal crackers and plain turkey sandwiches for those 2 weeks!

Old 06-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I had the nausea too but not until a couple of weeks before the surgery. Mine had just been the stabbing pain attack thing before that. I think I probably lived on ginger ale, animal crackers and plain turkey sandwiches for those 2 weeks!
Actually my symptom has gone worse since Ive been scheduled to have a surgery. Could be from all the worries and nervous towards to the surgery

I've been living with Banana, crackers, plenty of fluid and rice recently. I probably continue this diet for another few weeks after the surgery

Has anyone gained weight after the surgery? Did anyone suffer from diahorrea post-op?

Old 06-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
(female)

I survived on chicken soup and saltine crackers. Lost 30 lbs. Once the dr. Told me that my gallbladder was functioning at 0./. I stayed home from work and rested. Surgery was a week later. It was a relief not to drag myself to work while I was so nauseous and had the awful pressure and pain.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #14
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacy56 View Post
I survived on chicken soup and saltine crackers. Lost 30 lbs. Once the dr. Told me that my gallbladder was functioning at 0./. I stayed home from work and rested. Surgery was a week later. It was a relief not to drag myself to work while I was so nauseous and had the awful pressure and pain.
Thank you for sharing your experience, Im also experiencing the nausea and every night the pain and pressure near my rib.

Are you healthier and happier after the surgery?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
(female)

Definitely better after the surgery which was six months ago. But the dr. Never told me to stay away from fatty foods. Thanks giving was a week after surgery so I was so happy to be able to eat again that I overdid it! This caused the pain and pressure again. Wish I had known about the healthboards then!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jacy56 For This Useful Post:
michan (06-09-2012)
Closed Thread