It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
(female)

JSG01 HB User
Can't get rid of gas after gallbladder removal

Hi,
I had my gallbladder removed on 5/31. Healing from the incisions has been nothing. They're not painful at all. The issues I have had since waking up in the recovery room is the gas that they pump into you during the surgery. It just won't go away. I've had to go to the ER 2 times (a week a part) because the pain was so excruciating that my husband thought I would physically die! The 2nd time, before I went I had taken 2 vicodin and 4 Gas X and it didn't even dull the pain. I need to point out here that I am no wuss. I have a high pain tolerance normally. I have had other surgeries (Cervical Fusion, Bladder tack) and never had any issues like this. I even broke my arm when I was 16 and never cried a drop.

Since the 2nd ER trip, I will take a pain pill at the beginning of any kind of pain that I think is due to the gas. Normally I hurt between my shoulder blades or on the left side of my body and up into my neck. Sometimes it starts with a dull ache and gradually gets worse and sometimes it starts with a sharp pain in my left shoulder and shoulder blade that feels like someone is stabbing me. I need to point out that I'm not eating anything that I know produces gas (broccoli, cabbage, beans, etc)

Now, in an effort to rid my body of this gas I've tried the following:
-Back and shoulder rubs by my husband at least 2X day.
-Gas X at least 4X day
-Laying with my butt on 3 pillows to "push" the gas out. (I feel it moving but nothing comes out.)
-Laying on my left side with my knees pulled into my chest for 5-15 minutes, several times a day.
-Walking several times a day.

Every time I do any of these...and I'm doing all of them every day...I will sometimes burp or fart but nothing major, and I don't do it every time either.

Does anybody have any suggestions other than what I'm doing? Its been a little over 2 weeks today. I know that's not much time but most people I've talked to didn't have any of these issues after theirs was removed. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Can't get rid of gas after gallbladder removal

That's a little long - usually goes away in a week or so. The only thing I know to do for it is to walk. What does the surgeon say?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
(female)

JSG01 HB User

The surgeon tested me for a Pulmonary Embolism because I was having shortness of breath and couldn't take in a deep breath without excruciating pain. That test came back negative and he didn't really have any other suggestions. Just told me to keep walking and take Gas X.

The following user gives a hug of support to JSG01:
Titchou (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sorry - I don't really have any better suggestions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
JSG01 (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
(male)

Tribalbob HB User

My gas lasted for about a week and a half, but that's because I stupidly did not move around enough.

The two points it was the worst was upper right shoulder and bicep, so before I lay down to sleep (when it would flair up), I put hot-compresses on both spots. Usually helped enough for me to fall asleep.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
(female)

JSG01 HB User

Thanks. I haven't tried anything like that yet.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
(female)

lewis74 HB User

Hello I just had mine removed on june 12th 2012.So I know how you feel.I am suffering from the same thing.Also I feel like there is a big hard ball in my stomach.I need help also.I have the sharp pains in my shoulder too.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
(female)

JSG01 HB User

Hang in there, it does get better. It took over 2 weeks (and 2 trips to the ER a week apart) but I am finally feeling better. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since my surgery. I still have some of the pain in my shoulder but it gets better and better every day now. I was finally able to sneeze for the 1st time yesterday. Before that, every time I would start to take that deep breath for the sneeze, the pain would shut it down. I sneezed a "little" sneeze yesterday. Yawning is still painful also.

I went for my f/up with the surgeon today and he claims that there's no way its the gas. He seems to think maybe I have a touch of pleurisy but I still think its the gas. Last week, because of my pain in the middle of my chest, they did a CT scan to make sure I didn't have a pulmonary embolism and it was negative. He said there was no gas showing up on the CT but I wonder if its because it had moved into my left shoulder blade at that point.

Again, I'm feeling better now and I sincerely hope you do too. Just last Friday I sat on my patio and started crying out of the blue. I think it was because I was depressed because I was still not "right" and I was wondering if I ever would be. I really took a turn for the better by Sunday.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
(female)

michan HB Usermichan HB User

I had my gallbladder removed on 12th June and my stomach feels very bloated as well, especially in the evening when I lay down. Its very uncomfortable

I've start drinking yakhurt every day and the gas seems to be settled down a bit. Im not sure if it was because of yakhurt but since I start drinking them its getting better every day

JSG01, I know exactly how you feel about feeling 'blue', I too have these moments. I do get worried if I ever going to feel 'well' etc. It drags on doesn't it But you're not alone, Im glad youre feeling better!

Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #10
(female)

JSG01 HB User

I am happy to report that I believe all of the gas is gone! For the first time in 3 weeks I was able to lay down on my bed last night with no pain at all. I can take deep breaths again and I feel "normal". There is hope!

The following user gives a hug of support to JSG01:
michan (06-22-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #11
(female)

king1975 HB User

hello JSG01, hows the pain now? I am just so worried, got terrible chest and mid to upper back pain. I am 8 days post op and wanted to know how long should I be having this. Doc said, kind of normal since my body needs to react with the surgery plus the emotional and physical stress brought by it. I have the pain during night time and can't sleep with it. I hope youre doing fine now. Please let me know how long did you suffer from this kind of pain after the lap surgery and what did you do to ease the pain. Is everything normal now? thank you and may God bless us all!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
(female)

JSG01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by king1975 View Post
hello JSG01, hows the pain now? I am just so worried, got terrible chest and mid to upper back pain. I am 8 days post op and wanted to know how long should I be having this. Doc said, kind of normal since my body needs to react with the surgery plus the emotional and physical stress brought by it. I have the pain during night time and can't sleep with it. I hope youre doing fine now. Please let me know how long did you suffer from this kind of pain after the lap surgery and what did you do to ease the pain. Is everything normal now? thank you and may God bless us all!
My pain is completely gone at this point. Once I hit that 3 week mark and the pain had subsided, I never had any more issues with it. Occasionally I will feel a slight pain between my shoulder blades and I still almost panic for fear that it's coming back...but it isn't. It did feel like I would never feel good again. When I talked to my surgeon about it, he said there was no way it was from gas, but I don't care what he says....it was! Hang in there and avoid ALL foods that cause gas pain under normal situations. It was probably 6 weeks before I ate beans or broccoli again! You can also take Gas X. That seemed to help me, along with taking the pain meds every 4 hours. Even though I took the pain meds every 4 hrs for over a month, I didn't get addicted to them. I'm currently not taking anything.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
(female)

king1975 HB User

Thank you JSG01, you are such a blessing, a hope. I cried yesterday thinking I will have this pain in my life forever. Thank you. I will keep you all posted with my recovery. Youre reply helps a lot!

Old 08-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #14
(female)

tennisthemenace HB User

Wow! I assume most folks on this thread had lap surgery. I had open surgery July 6, 2012, it took a solid 3 weeks for my swelling etc., to go down. Hang in there. I personally think doctors tell some folks to go back to work too soon after this procedure. Lap was attempted first, my outer button is now an innie ---then they had to go in through a major incision due to complications.

Nonetheless, my doctors advised to expect bouts of pain, even MONTHS after surgery. Its related to losing an organ and your body adjusting to the new changes. Occasionally I will take some ibuprofren PM around 9:00 PM if I feel a little out of sorts to help me sleep. I just started sleeping on my right side and it feels great.

Food, well, I just introduced salad to my menu again and have had no issues! Yay! I do feel queasy at times between meals, I suspect its bile since its flowing directly to the stomach/duodenum now.

Give it time, do not despair, dont overeat, take aleve, ibuprofren, walk, it does get a whole lot better! Our bodies have been through a "shock."

I hope everyone is feeling good this morning!

Old 08-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

The gas issue can take 2-3 weeks to go away. The cause? You had a surgeon who didn't properly release it before closing. Sorry, that's just my take on it. I was very pleased with my surgeon as I had NO problems with the gas after my surgery. they managed to release it all. I think since they know it will eventually dissipate, they just release what is easy to release and then say "what the heck." I was sore from the incisions and the overall surgery but I still did what I normally do, with some considerations. I jogged 2 miles a week after having it out but didn't do any weight work for 3 weeks....and then it was light weights for a couple of weeks.

Was I sore? Sure! But if I sat on my rear every time I was sore somewhere, I'd never get anything done. Heck, I was 59 when I had it out. Sore does not equate pain for me nor does it keep me from doing most things. And I knew it would eventually go away.
And it did. Continued good healing to all of you.

Closed Thread

Tags
gallbladder removal, gas pains