It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
(female)

wonton67 HB User
Need my gallbladder removed, not sure if I want to do it...?

Hello, the results of my HIDA scan cam back. My doctor said I have a low acting gallbladder and it takes very long to process. She told me she recomended me removing it, and explained how we don't need it. I'm very scared to go threw with it, mostly because I don't know what'll happen when it is removed?

I wanted some advice, should I remove it? Or keep it? What are the benifits of both?
And what does it mean to have a low acting (slow) gallbladder?

My doctor wants my answer by next Friday, so I am second guessing myself! Please help :/

Old 06-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
(female)

volleyball2 HB Uservolleyball2 HB User
Re: Need my gallbladder removed, not sure if I want to do it...?

Hi Wonton: I was supposed to have my gallbladder out today but the surgery had to be rebooked. There is a problem with mine. It is causing the common bile duct to block off and on and making me very nausas.
It doesn't sound to me like you are having a problem with yours. Only that it is slow. I think I might ask another doctor. What is he setting a time limit on this for?
Maybe you should investigate.
VB2 Diana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Gallbladders don't just decide to act slowly for a test and then go back to acting right. You obviously have a damaged gb - stones, inflammation, something. Avoiding fat in your diet will help to keep it from trying to constrict (that's what is causing the pain - it doesn't work right but is trying to when you eat fat). If the ejection rate from the test was below 35%, it is considered non functioning. You evidently weren't told the score as you didn't mention it. The lower it gets below 35% the more diseased it is. Have it out before it gets more serious and ruptures. Eat low fat until then and then for 2-3 weeks after removal. Try eating lean proteins, whole wheat breads, stay hydrated. I had mine out at age 59 and jogged 2 miles one week later. Was only off work for 2-1/2 days. You'll be bloated and a little uncomfortable but should be fine.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
wonton67 (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
(female)

wonton67 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyball2 View Post
Hi Wonton: I was supposed to have my gallbladder out today but the surgery had to be rebooked. There is a problem with mine. It is causing the common bile duct to block off and on and making me very nausas.
It doesn't sound to me like you are having a problem with yours. Only that it is slow. I think I might ask another doctor. What is he setting a time limit on this for?
Maybe you should investigate.
VB2 Diana
oh I have VERY bad nausea, she put me on pills for that.
but also have a little bit of pain on my right side.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

A friend only had the nausea as a symptom. They thought she had a stomach flu over and over. Someone finally suggested it might be gb. She got tested. Her EF was below 10% (forget exactly what) and they finally took it out. The surgeon said she wouldn't have lasted another week with it before it ruptured. Don't mess around with it if it is diseased.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
(female)

wonton67 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
A friend only had the nausea as a symptom. They thought she had a stomach flu over and over. Someone finally suggested it might be gb. She got tested. Her EF was below 10% (forget exactly what) and they finally took it out. The surgeon said she wouldn't have lasted another week with it before it ruptured. Don't mess around with it if it is diseased.
Really? I've been having symptoms since early march, and just recently I had the HIDA scan telling the doctor that it wasn't working right. is it bad that we haven't. Schedulded the apt. Yet to get it removed? I have to wait til next week, but I don't want anything bad to happen. What happens when it does rupture?

Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

HI isn't there another test they can do where they inject dye and they go in and open up the ducts some to improve the injection rate (can't think of it, maybe ERCP or something)? I had one done several years ago and they fixed mine so that it works better now and its functioning within the normal range. I've heard you should hang onto your gall bladder if you can but if there's any chance its diseased you should definitely get that sucker out of there because it can cause you more problems. Maybe get another opinion but take along the test results you've gotten so far. good luck and let us know how it goes. CJ

Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

If there is a stone in the duct or the duct is not proper size, then they do that procedure. But if the ejection rate is low, that means the gb isn't functioning and needs to be removed. The lower the score the more serious the situation. Eat very low or no fat until you have the surgery. A ruptured gb is usually fatal. I doubt if your problems just started in March that you are near that happening. She had been having problems for over a year.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

TinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB User

Wonton67, I can tell you that when I had my GB removed in 2000, the surgery was a breeze. The nurses said they've never seen anyone get out of bed and walk around after surgery as quickly as I did. My surgeon offered me painkillers, but I declined. I didn't need them, and was only sore for about a week, the small scars healed nicely. I never had any intention of going the nutritional route, so no info on that. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
(female)

jessikat3184 HB User

Here is my personal experience. I was sick for over a year, and the doctors could never figure out what was going on. They did an ultra sound, and said everything was fine. They thought I had IBS. My quality of life was nothing, because I was in such bad pain all the time. I couldn't even eat because I was so nausious all the time. I was constipated, and not even going once a week most weeks. One day I was in such bad pain I went to the ER, and luckily got a doctor that had went through the same thing I did. She ordered a Hida Scan and my GB was only functioning at 17%, I even had to go through a colonoscopy for one of the doctors to try and figure out what was going on. Wish they had tried the Hida Scan first, so I wouldn't have had to go through that. Went ahead and had my surgery, and 2 weeks later, I was myself again! In fact, right after my surgery I had my appetite back. I was ready to eat after leaving the surgery center. It was a wonderful choice. To me, it was never a question, I was getting that diseased thing out of me, and now I can live again. Good luck with everything. You will do great. If you have any questions or need anymore support, feel free to send me a message and I'll answer or help in any way I can.

The following user gives a hug of support to jessikat3184:
wonton67 (07-02-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
(female)

Gini123 HB User

I am scheduled to have the HIDA scan this Wednesday. My doctor has referred me to a surgeon and is really pushing for me to have my gallbladder removed. Although my ultra sound only showed sludge (no stones) I have all the other symptoms of a diseased gb. From reading other websites about gb removal I am now concerned about weight gain after surgery. Have you experienced this? Although I want to feel better, I have struggled with weight my whole life and do not want to put on tons more that I cannot get rid of. Thank you for any help with this.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Weight gain? Ha! You'll lose weight. You should be on a no fat diet right now and thru till 2-3 weeks - at least - after surgery....and then go slow. Then you'll be fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Gini123 (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
(female)

Gini123 HB User

I am praying and trying to be cautiously optimistic about having my gb out. My doctor tells me I will be a new person. Hope she is right, I am so tired of feeling like this and having zero energy. I also feel lucky that my husband has been so supportive, because I'm pretty sure I've been a pain to live with! Thank you so much for all your posts regarding gallbladder surgery and what to do afterwards, I will be taking your advice.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
(female)

wonton67 HB User

I've lost A LOT of weight as well, and i'm terrified about getting it out! I get mine Aug. 9th...... D: I'm scared, they said it wasnt working, but it wasnt too low to be a risk. But they said that thats why I feel so sick all the time, so getting it out will be better...I'm not sure though...Should i get it out or not?

The following user gives a hug of support to wonton67:
Titchou (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Without knowing the score on your HIDA, that's hard to say but it certainly sounds as if you should have it out. What about it terrifies you? Have they told you the consequences of keeping it?

Closed Thread

Tags
gallbladder, hida scan, remove