It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

Niki1980 HB UserNiki1980 HB User
Hida scan & ultrasound normal. Help!

Hida scan, ultrasound normal. I have also had ct scan ( showed mesenteric cysts but docs don't know a lot about these), endoscopy ( showed excess bile and mild gastritis), colonoscopy, chest X-rays, a ton of blod work and no one knows what to do. Been sick for 2 months. It started with nausea for 2 weeks, thought I had the flu but I am still sick. The doctors told me to take prilosec, which i did, and ended up not digesting food properly. Stopped the prilosec and the nausea is so intense i dont eat. I have lost 10 lbs. i eat a healthy diet, exercise moderately, and live a happy life up until now. Been experiencing panic or anxiety attacks now too. Waking up every morning around 1 am and again at 3 am in a panic. This is really affecting my life. Doctors are now suggesting anti anxiety meds. Has anyone ever experienced anxiety that makes you this sick? Or is it possibly still my gall bladder? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
Re: Hida scan & ultrasound normal. Help!

Nausea is a common symptom with gallbladder disease, other common symptoms include gas/belching, diarrhea, tenderness in the right upper quadrant above the gallbladder, pain under the right ribs, pain in the back, pain in the shoulder, light colored stool.

However, not everybody has the same symptoms or the same sequence, you can for example get pain and discomfort on the left side.

I was awakened on several occasions by heart palpitations and had several panic attacks during the day. I have also had chest pains similar to heart problems. From what I read these kind of kind of symptoms are caused with signals that gallbladder sends the vagus nerve.

As to whether it is the gallbladder in your case that is hard to know given all the tests you have been through. If bile is backing up into the stomach that may indicate that the valve at the bottom of the stomach is not fully closing, apparently the valve can weaken as we get older.

The Following User Says Thank You to Collector167 For This Useful Post:
Niki1980 (06-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I agree with the above but would like to know what your score was on the HIDA. Did they tell you?

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Niki1980 (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
(female)

No, they have not told me the percentage. Which has been frustrating. I am having a gastric emptying scan done tomorrow and will try to see if they will release my medical records to me. Oddly enough I don't experience a lot of pain, tightness or burning primarily. I have noticed when I eat fatty foods, did this intentionally, that my body isn't breaking it down properly and am seeing it come through in a diarrhea form. I did have one episode that was classic gall bladder attack after trying to eat a steak dinner. Intense abdominal pain under right rib cage that radiated to my back and right shoulder. Hurt like hell to breath deep. That went away within 45 minutes. I had a panic attack right before all this happened so my GI thinks I should try anti anxiety meds first. I am willing to try this, but I am really doubtful that it is anxiety. Thanks to everyone that is listening and helping.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Don't "try and see" - just ask for them! You may need to sign a form to get copies and maybe pay a fee. But they should tell you your HIDA result by just asking for it. It's YOURS - and you have a right to know.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
(female)

Hey guys. Just got my medical records and the gall bladder shows at 98%. This might explain why there was excess bile in the stomach shown on the endoscopy. My question is why are the doctors not so concerned about this? I feel like crap, I am not sleeping, if I don't take Prevacid I am so nauseated I don't eat at all and i dont like taking Prevacid because it is causing other problems. Should I be consulting a surgeon at this time?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Definitely! That is most likely the cause of the excess bile and all your problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Niki1980 (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

It sounds like you are making progress. One more hurdle you may face are doctors/surgeons who do not believe that there is such a thing as a HIDA scan ejection score that is too high. Several people on this board have run into this problem.

Remember it is your health, dump them, demand a second opinion and find somebody who will address your health issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to Collector167 For This Useful Post:
Niki1980 (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
(female)

Thanks you guys. I have an appt. with a surgeon July 3 to discuss this. I had a bit of an argument with my GP today but he finally gave in and gave me a referral. He was adament that 98% was normal and i supplied him with evidence from the internet and these forums that he could be wrong. He also suggested an ERCP. Do you think i shoud push for this? Hopefully this will be the end of all of this. Thanks for all the support.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:15 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

I'd talk with the surgeon. Not sure the ERCP is the correct procedure since you don't seem to have stones....glad you got the referral!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
(female)

Krystle042881 HB User

I was curious if you have researched mesenteric cysts? Or has it been brought up after they told you about finding them? I came across your post because I had googled searched mesenteric cysts. My daughter at 1 week old started having problems and she is now 8 weeks old...She was diagnosed with having cows milk allergy, but they did an ultrasound and found what they called at the time (she was 3 weeks) a sac filled with fluid. They discharged her from the hospital on a new formula and told me to talk to her pediatrician about looking at this so called sac. Her pediatrician at first had no idea about what it really was until she called around. I just found out that it is a mesentric cyst. She ended up having to go on yet another formula that has no dairy, soy, etc... and is now improving but she is still having some problems. They are taking their time on doing anything about this cyst and after doing research, I have found that they are more on the rare side and in almost all cases, need to be removed. There is a possibility that those cysts could be causing some problems for you. It wouldn't hurt to look into it more and push the issue with your doctors. I know I am now pushing the issue with my doctors and told my daughter's pediatrician that I want an appointment with a G.I. doctor a.s.a.p. Don't let their lack of knowledge affect your health.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #12
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

My gallbladder was down to about 15% functioning....I was very sick...just felt icky all of the time could only eat plain baked potatoes for 2 weeks....no butter or anything. If I ate any thing it immediately shot straight through or I threw it up. The pain was as you described it. I had the gall bladder taken out and could eat everything again within days. Unfortunately I regained the weight I lost during those few weeks of being miserable...(which was the only real perk of getting sick!)

About 8 years before this I had my first gallbladder attacks. I refrained from eating fats, beef, nuts etc...and eventually my symptoms went away....UNTIL one fateful evening, 8 years later, I ate a ton of movie theater popcorn (really good with lots of butter) I got so sick and the pains returned... I knew immediately what it was but took some convincing to get a Dr to order scans and believe me....good luck!!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
(female)

Hello. Finally!! Someone who has heard of a mesenteric cyst! I have spoken with an ER doctor (he is the one who found this cysts on the CT scan he ordered) and the surgeon in the er, also to my GI and GP. None of these guys seemed to be concerned about these. Oddly enough the big one (golf ball size) is located right where my pain is. :/ They kept telling me these types of cysts could have been present since birth and are not the likely cause of my symptoms. I do have an appointment next week with a general surgeon and will bring this up again. Maybe I can talk him into going in after my gall bladder but if it doesn't look diseased to take the cysts instead. Yes, these cysts are quite rare and no one seems to know much about them. I will let you know what the surgeon suggests next week. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
(female)

ellenc6151 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki1980 View Post
Hida scan, ultrasound normal. I have also had ct scan ( showed mesenteric cysts but docs don't know a lot about these), endoscopy ( showed excess bile and mild gastritis), colonoscopy, chest X-rays, a ton of blod work and no one knows what to do. Been sick for 2 months. It started with nausea for 2 weeks, thought I had the flu but I am still sick. The doctors told me to take prilosec, which i did, and ended up not digesting food properly. Stopped the prilosec and the nausea is so intense i dont eat. I have lost 10 lbs. i eat a healthy diet, exercise moderately, and live a happy life up until now. Been experiencing panic or anxiety attacks now too. Waking up every morning around 1 am and again at 3 am in a panic. This is really affecting my life. Doctors are now suggesting anti anxiety meds. Has anyone ever experienced anxiety that makes you this sick? Or is it possibly still my gall bladder? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Have them test you for H phylior to see if you have this.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
(female)

Tested negative for h pylori and celiac. Nothing abnormal on the colonoscopy. Have an appt with a surgeon on tuesday.

Closed Thread