It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
(female)

gclaec HB Usergclaec HB User
No Pain Medication with Hida Scan?

Just curious,
having Hida scan tomorrow morning. The hospital put me on percocet yesterday because of severe attack and I was told today no pain medication 12 hours before Hida scan. Does anyone know why?
Also,, forgot to ask I take zantac for stomach acid I assume I should not take that tomorrow morning either?

Thanks..

Old 07-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: No Pain Medication with Hida Scan?

Pain meds can cause your gb to not react properly during the test. They need to see how it really functions without any assistance. You may experience some discomfort or pain during the test but it lasts just a few minutes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User

That is some of the problems with pain medicine. It slows down your digestive tract. That is why when you have certain test done they do not give you anything for the pain. They want to see what is actually going on without any interference. After the test you should be able to get something, if you need to. Hope everything turn out okay. Muah!
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010
Total Right Hip Replacement

Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
(female)

I am sitting here waiting as they asked me not to leave yet. It ended up taking close to 3 hours. I got very sick with cpk part, nauseous, pain and uncomfortable feeling. I told them my appointment was next week and they asked me to please wait while radiologist reads and calls dr.

Thanks will let you know.. Waiting is the hardest part.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
(female)

Tech guy came out and told me it was ok to go home, he did tell me I should not wait till appointment next week and he strongly encouraged me to call my Dr tomorrow.

The first part was ok, but when they injected the cck,, I almost immediatly became sick, crampy, and uncomfortable. I dont know if I am just hypersensitive or not. I just will be happy to feel better.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sounds like you'll be having your gb out soon. Keep us posted.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
(female)

vachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB User

I found out today that mine was 8%, but I can't have surgery until the next available spot which is August 3rd. I'm scared. Just trying to eat no fat.

The following user gives a hug of support to vachilly:
Titchou (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

That's not all that far off. Just hang in on the no fat and try to get as healthy as possible between now and then so you rebound quickly from the procedure. Keep us posted.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Only 2 weeks, OK. Just hang in there. I'm glad they figured it out, now you can look forward to feeling much better soon.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
(female)

Beaner15 HB User

I am sorry to hear of your gallbladder problems! I am curious as to the no pain med thing because when I had my gallbladder out last year they didn't follow that protocol.

I went to the ER after 8 hours of the most severe pain I've ever felt and they said it was my gallbladder. They immediately doped me up with an IV of morphine and dilaudid before my ultrasound and then when I went to have the hida scan they gave me another shot, and then woke me up in the middle of the scan to give me another shot of morphine.

Was this done because of the emergency basis? I guess my gallbladder was close to bursting so it had to come out pretty quick. But my pain meds didn't seem to interfere with the tests at all, they still all came back positive and what not.

Hang in there!

-RB

Old 07-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #11
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclaec View Post
Tech guy came out and told me it was ok to go home, he did tell me I should not wait till appointment next week and he strongly encouraged me to call my Dr tomorrow.

The first part was ok, but when they injected the cck,, I almost immediatly became sick, crampy, and uncomfortable. I dont know if I am just hypersensitive or not. I just will be happy to feel better.
Yeah that part makes you feel like your going to be sick. So did you call the doctor yet? Keep me posted. Best Wishes! Muah!
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010

Old 07-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
(female)

Dr. office called me and said Dr is not in office till Tues. but he wanted to move my Thursday appointment to Tues morning. She did not have results # from Hida scan but told me Dr said we would be discussing surgery but it was not emergent that had to be done today. She told me they will probably do next week, that why he wants me there Tues instead of Thurs.

I was sent to ER the other morning after I went to my pc in complete agony. My PC was going to call ambulance that is how bad I was. After 8 hours in ER I was told I had 2 options, #1 I could be admitted and have Hida scan the next day, as the ER can not order or do the test. or #2 go home call surgeon immediately and have Hida scan and see surgeon. I obviosly opted for # 2 since I was feeling alot better at the time with IV pain medication and zofran. I think back and think maybe it would have been quicker to just stay and get it over with.

I do have a question, and probably should make a new thread, has anyone had GB surgery had blood clotting issues? I have lupus and blood clot disorder so even going to have a simple tooth extraction involves blood thinners and panic from everyone. I am trying to plan now, usually requires minimum overnight stay.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclaec View Post
Dr. office called me and said Dr is not in office till Tues. but he wanted to move my Thursday appointment to Tues morning. She did not have results # from Hida scan but told me Dr said we would be discussing surgery but it was not emergent that had to be done today. She told me they will probably do next week, that why he wants me there Tues instead of Thurs.

I was sent to ER the other morning after I went to my pc in complete agony. My PC was going to call ambulance that is how bad I was. After 8 hours in ER I was told I had 2 options, #1 I could be admitted and have Hida scan the next day, as the ER can not order or do the test. or #2 go home call surgeon immediately and have Hida scan and see surgeon. I obviosly opted for # 2 since I was feeling alot better at the time with IV pain medication and zofran. I think back and think maybe it would have been quicker to just stay and get it over with.

I do have a question, and probably should make a new thread, has anyone had GB surgery had blood clotting issues? I have lupus and blood clot disorder so even going to have a simple tooth extraction involves blood thinners and panic from everyone. I am trying to plan now, usually requires minimum overnight stay.
I also have Lupus and yes I am sure they are going to keep you overnight. Bloos clots is common with any surgery with lupus. Also the risk of infection is a big problem with people with lupus and have surgery. Yes all my doctors panic when I have to have certain procedures. Just because lupus love to attack during episodes. I will be keeping you in my prayers. Muah!
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010

Old 07-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
(female)

I have a filter for clots, but I still have had clots since that got through. I am also allergic to asprin and coumadin. So Lovenox is the only thing I can take.
I am going to my hem/onc tomorrow so hopefully they will call surgeon and set it up before my appt on Tues.

Its a good thing to, I just did the stupidest thing..but has given me full confirmation now. I was finally feeling a little better, enough that I felt like eating. My kids had tacos and nachos, there was a few nachos left and I said oh a couple wont hurt... literally 15 minutes later I am in agony again, pain, all the way up my neck, under my ribs and yes my back. Oh my I dont know what to do right now. I was going to try and hold off for a few weeks but right now Tues is not soon enough.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

A couple of nachos - ouch! Hope you are feeling better by now.

Closed Thread