It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
(female)

vachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB User
Re: Two days post gall bladder surgery

opps. Just ate half a carton of yogurt. Didn't realize I shouldn't. It was 1 and a half %fat.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #17
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

That should be OK but try for no fat yogurt next time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #18
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gini123 View Post
Had surgery Monday (July 23). Still feeling terrible, I was hoping to be feeling so much better by the 4th day. Guess my expectations were too high. It is reassuring to hear from others that it takes awhile to feel normal again.

What do you think about dairy products, should I avoid them for now?
You're not alone in this. It seems we had our surgery at the same time, so we're in this together.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gini123 View Post
Ok, thank you. It's the milk and yogurt that I will be missing, but I can hold off. I know a lot of the discomfort is from surgery, coughing or sneezing can send me to the ceiling (OMG)!!!

Cannot wait for two to pass.
Yogurt and milk both come in fat free. Even frozen yogurt comes fat free.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
(female)

Gini123 HB User

Today is day 5 for me. I do feel a lot better, still not what I had expected. My right side is very tender. I did do some light house work, actually blow dried my hair (first time this week) and felt like putting on some make up (all signs I'm getting back to normal). I weighed myself Monday (day of surgery) and weighed myself this morning, the same weight. Was thinking I would maybe be down a pound or two because I haven't eaten much this week, but maybe it's because I still have some water weight. Yes, I am very concerned with weight, I have really been trying hard to lose (have lost 10lbs in the last month) On some other websites I have read blogs concerning the gallbladder and hear a lot of complaints about weight gain after gallbladder surgery. As soon as I feel better I am going to start walking (before surgery I walked 3-4 times a week about 2.5 miles) and stay on a low fat diet or at least try to cut sugars out of my diet.
It does not make sense to me how people could simply gain weight just because they have their gallbladder out. These people swear they eat and exercise the exact same way as they did before and the weight is just piling on!

Titchou, you are very fortunate to have bounced back from surgery so fast, I am assuming you are in a lot better shape than I am in. I'm 48, 5'4 and 153lbs, That probably explains why you did so well. But I do appreciate all you have to say, I think you are coming from a very logical healthy place. Thank you!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #21
(female)

KWC HB User

Hi, I'm new here too and had my gallbladder out on Monday. I can tell you the 2nd day with me was horrible. I did walk around - although painful at first, it was the best thing to release the gas they pump into you. Today I feel pretty good - but still have that pang in my right side if I do too much. Getting out of bed will get easier for you but I think for me that is the worst time of day - I am so stiff then. But a little walking around, holding a pillow was a great suggestion will help! They gave me a belly band when I left the hospital and it helps with support but no fun to sleep in so I'm going to try to sleep without it tonight - too much pressure and itchy sometimes. You will feel a little better as each day passes. Day 3 was the worst for me with the sharp pains and last night after dinner was tough. I just want Mexican food or pizza and I know I have to be on my best behavior for a little while. I really want a beer - so used to having my one beer after work every night - I even got non alcoholic beer just for this but am afraid to have it.

Just be good to yourself and you'll heal up just fine!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #22
(female)

KWC HB User

Hi, I'm new here too and had my gallbladder out on Monday. I can tell you the 2nd day with me was horrible. I did walk around - although painful at first, it was the best thing to release the gas they pump into you. Today I feel pretty good - but still have that pang in my right side if I do too much. Getting out of bed will get easier for you but I think for me that is the worst time of day - I am so stiff then. But a little walking around, holding a pillow was a great suggestion will help! They gave me a belly band when I left the hospital and it helps with support but no fun to sleep in so I'm going to try to sleep without it tonight - too much pressure and itchy sometimes. You will feel a little better as each day passes. Day 3 was the worst for me with the sharp pains and last night after dinner was tough. I just want Mexican food or pizza and I know I have to be on my best behavior for a little while. I really want a beer - so used to having my one beer after work every night - I even got non alcoholic beer just for this but am afraid to have it.

Just be good to yourself and you'll heal up just fine!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #23
(female)

Gini123 HB User

Good to hear from someone else who had surgery the same day. Sounds like we are doing about the same. The third day was the worst for me. Two summers ago I had my appendicitis out on a Thursday and was back to work the following Monday, guess I was thinking this surgery was going to be that easy.

Alcohol has bothered me for so long, I cannot wait until I can go have a drink with friends and NOT be in pain. I will be so disappointed if alcohol still hurts my side. By no means a heavy drinker but would like to have a margarita now and then.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
(female)

I'm feeling a little better today, but I had some burning sensation in my chest after eating a piece of whole wheat toast and a glass of no fat milk. So, I'm not sure which one is the culprit, but I'm hoping that I don't have heartburn problems after this. I'd like to just go out with friends and have a somewhat normal meal in the future. I'm glad you're feeling better.

The following user gives a hug of support to vachilly:
Gini123 (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
(female)

KWC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachilly View Post
I'm feeling a little better today, but I had some burning sensation in my chest after eating a piece of whole wheat toast and a glass of no fat milk. So, I'm not sure which one is the culprit, but I'm hoping that I don't have heartburn problems after this. I'd like to just go out with friends and have a somewhat normal meal in the future. I'm glad you're feeling better.
Maybe it is the milk? I ate whole wheat toast and have been fine. The chicken I had last night had dairy in the sauce and I felt awful afterwards.

I ate some oatmeal today and normally put milk in it but didn't this time. All I had so far and am good. All that is in my fridge is burgers, steaks, all the fun foods which I won't try right now so asking the hubby to go out and get Subways - I will have a turkey one on whole grain bread with no mayo.

I'm trying to keep a little log of how I feel after what I eat. Maybe that might help you - just keep track and you can find the trigger foods. I hope we can eat normally again! I'm trying my 1 beer tonight - the non alcoholic one. Normally I drink a Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale and I so badly want one but trying to be good until I feel better. I used to be able to drink wine too but can't touch that anymore - makes me all stuffy - and then a major headache, even after just 1/2 glass. I wouldn't mind a margarita right about now too! With lots of salt around the glass!

Old 07-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #26
(female)

I used to love wine with dinner. I had to stop drinking it even before the gall bladder was diagnosed. I'm hoping that one day I can have half a glass. Good luck with the "beer". We ate out a lot a one time also, and I really miss it.

The Following User Says Thank You to vachilly For This Useful Post:
KWC (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #27
Facilitator
(female)

Once you are healed, there is no reason you can't eat anything you want - and drink anything you want. Now if you have other digestive issues, that could impact it. But I'm sitting here drinking champagne and had a pimento cheese sandwich for lunch. No problems.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #28
(female)

Before they discovered the badly inflamed gall bladder, they diagnosed me with acid reflux. I'm still don't know whether I have the reflux or not. I have to wait and see.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #29
Facilitator
(female)

Well, stick with those parameters as well...nothing spicey, no alcohol but the rest should be fine.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #30
(female)

KWC HB User

Yay! I drank 1/2 of a Sierra Nevada Torpedo ale and no problems! Burped a good bit afterwards but that felt good:-)

Reply Reply