It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
(female)

vachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB User
Two days post gall bladder surgery

Had emergency gall bladder surgery on Monday. Home yesterday. Deep breaths hurt and all over tired feelings. Any recommendations for recovery?

The following user gives a hug of support to vachilly:
Titchou (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Two days post gall bladder surgery

Oh wow! Glad you are home and OK. If you need to cough or breathe deeply, hold a pillow to your tummy. That will help. Walk as much as you can if they didn't release all the gas that inflated you (assuming you had lap procedure and not full cut). That will help. Otherwise, be sure to eat - low or no fat - and keep hydrated. Get off any pain meds as soon as possible. They constipate you and that's not fun with everything else going on!

Big hug to you and good healing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

Hello, I just had my gallbladder out yesterday and have the same pain when breathing in. I also get severe shooting pains when trying to get out of bed. Been rolling over and lifting my legs out first. My belly is so swollen I look pregant, this must be the air they pump in you.
Have you tried an icepack over the area? They gave me a few icepacks at the hospital. I think it helps a little. I think the tired feelings will eventually go away, I hope you are able to get lots of rest. I have a bunch of bed pillows on my couch to surrround me so that I don't move too much. Have been walking aroundthe house every now and then...this also seems to help a bit. I was not expecting to have so much pain. I have read so many post from people who said it's a breeze. Not so much for me :-(
Get plenty of rest. I hope you feel better soon!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlady42 View Post
Hello, I just had my gallbladder out yesterday and have the same pain when breathing in. I also get severe shooting pains when trying to get out of bed. Been rolling over and lifting my legs out first. My belly is so swollen I look pregant, this must be the air they pump in you.
Have you tried an icepack over the area? They gave me a few icepacks at the hospital. I think it helps a little. I think the tired feelings will eventually go away, I hope you are able to get lots of rest. I have a bunch of bed pillows on my couch to surrround me so that I don't move too much. Have been walking aroundthe house every now and then...this also seems to help a bit. I was not expecting to have so much pain. I have read so many post from people who said it's a breeze. Not so much for me :-(
Get plenty of rest. I hope you feel better soon!
It doesn't seem to be a breeze for me either. I feel pretty bad. I wish you lots of luck.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The getting in and out of bed was problematic for me as well. A friend though warned me about that! The best way for me to do it was to get in by putting my knees up on the bed - like crawling on it - and turn the way I wanted to lay and then falling over to the side I wanted to be on. Getting out was kind of the reverse - pull my knees up to my chest, roll over on them and then back off the bed. Hard to describe but it worked well for me.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hey, vachilly, glad you got through it. Hopefully you'll get consistently better from here on out, though.

Yes, using your abdominal muscles is not going to be fun this week, and you do need to use them to change positions. Still, when I had my laparoscopy last winter, the incision pain definitely was less every day.

Hang in there. Get as much nutrition as you possibly can, I know you've been under-fed for a while.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
(female)

Thanks, Jane. I seem to have a problem that others don't. I still have constipation. Can I take Miralax?

Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

Hello again, I just spoke to my surgeon because I was worried about the intensity of the pain and I also have a slight fever. She said they are both common problems after GB surgery and to make sure I call right away if anything gets worse.. I tried to get some suggestions but was told that unfortunately I will just have to wait it out.
I am also constipated. I was given a prescription for colace before I left the hospital. It is not working. At this point I would welcome the big D.
Hang in there and hopefully you will feel better soon.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
(male)

Leftywits HB User

Greetings. My 1st post, but wanted it to be in the gall bladder thread. I had an enlarged gall bladder and it was operating at 14%. When they removed it they told me after I awoke, it had pushed my other organs out of the way it was so big. I was in intense pain for days and was tired and no energy for weeks. You have to remember one thing, this was major surgery. Even if they pulled it out laparoscopic, it's losing an organ.

So here's the good news. While I did struggle for most of the year, it's been a year and a half since my surgery. I'm like a new person. I ride my road bike, I hit the gym 3 days a week, I can pretty much eat what i want, and I feel great. Give it all the time it needs to heal. Everyone is different.

good luck healing.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

My surgeon recommended prune juice and fiber powder only, but I had a different procedure.

It's partly the shock to the digestive system and partly the narcotic painkillers, but constipation does indeed happen sometimes.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlady42 View Post
Hello again, I just spoke to my surgeon because I was worried about the intensity of the pain and I also have a slight fever. She said they are both common problems after GB surgery and to make sure I call right away if anything gets worse.. I tried to get some suggestions but was told that unfortunately I will just have to wait it out.
I am also constipated. I was given a prescription for colace before I left the hospital. It is not working. At this point I would welcome the big D.
Hang in there and hopefully you will feel better soon.
Do you also have a tight feeling in your chest when you lie on your back. Is that the gas? I also feel like it's hard to take a deep breath.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Yes, it is gas. Try a heating pad/hot pack and walking.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
(female)

Gini123 HB User

Had surgery Monday (July 23). Still feeling terrible, I was hoping to be feeling so much better by the 4th day. Guess my expectations were too high. It is reassuring to hear from others that it takes awhile to feel normal again.

What do you think about dairy products, should I avoid them for now?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Absolutely! At least for 2 weeks - longer if you can stand it. Then slowly start back with the fat. Don't eat a cheese pizza first thing!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
(female)

Gini123 HB User

Ok, thank you. It's the milk and yogurt that I will be missing, but I can hold off. I know a lot of the discomfort is from surgery, coughing or sneezing can send me to the ceiling (OMG)!!!

Cannot wait for two to pass.

Reply Reply