It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

michan HB Usermichan HB User
Unhappy Another post-op problem...

Hi, I couldn't find my old post so I've created a new one.

Its been 2 months since I had my gallbladder removed.
Scars healed very well, no more pain.

BUT Im still having issues with digestive problems.
Since the surgery I've been very careful about my diet, I've avoided fatty food, dairy, spicy food. I was sticking with low-fat food (plain chicken is definitely my friend!) and probably because of that I've not gained any weight since the surgery (I've lost 22lb before the surgery).

I do get good weeks where I don't have any digestive problems, fine stool, no pain or nausea. But these problems hits me suddenly, just like some kind of stomach bug.
Every time I get this 'attack' I get endless diarrhea, constant nausea, fatigue, head ache etc and it can last for many weeks.
Nausea and diarrhea is my main issues since I am emetophobia.
YES I do have IBS but according to the doctor it can't be this bad.

When I had my surgery my surgeon also did endoscopy to check if I have any kind of bacteria and all came out fine. No pylori or any kind of stuff. No ulcer. Just my stomach was 'inflamed'.

Also last week I had blood test and found out that my liver wasn't functioning right, not too serious but he recogns that it could be caused by the surgery since the surgery sort of takes LOADS of your energy even it was lap surgery. My liver was fine before the surgery so there are high chance that its caused by it.
Also did stool and urine sample, currently waiting for the results.

Am I the only one who is suffering from these variety of symptoms post-op?
Has anyone suffered from similar problems?

Thank you

Last edited by michan; 08-14-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Another post-op problem...

I would recommend you visit a gastro doctor and get this checked out! There is a small percentage of us who have digestive problems after gallbladder surgery; I was one of them, and it was worse in the morning for whatever reason. Despite no fat and careful eating, I was prone to episodes of yellow diarrhea(sorry graphic) after eating at times. I did not experience nausea, cramping or pain however. I would say go and get checked out by your doctor to rule out anything serious. Typically, the bile diarrhea is caused by the liver creating too much bile, or badly timed bile, which irritates the intestines. You also could have a fast transit time, which means the stools don't have time to form. This might be helped by introducing more insoluable fiber to the diet, this might help bulk up the stools. Your system needs time to adjust after gallbladder removal, because now you don't have a gallbladder to store bile and release it when you eat, which is why no fat eating is good for the first few weeks.

For me, after getting checked out by my gastro doctor, she put me on Welchol, which is a bile acid sequestrants. It works by binding bile acids in your intestines to form a product that is removed from the body. Also, my ALT/AST were elevated for awhile after my surgery, I had to have my blood checked every week for awhile and eventually it's been fine ever since. I hope you feel better soon, please let us know how you are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to rufous57 For This Useful Post:
DakotaDreatime (10-03-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
(female)

Rufous, thank you for the reply!
Your condition sounds very similar to mine, the reason I get nauseous often is because I have inflamed stomach (which is getting better by shotting Gaviscon 4 times a day). I do understand about the yellow stool, I get them so often too.

I am going to see the doctors this weekend again to have another blood test.
As I mentioned earlier apparently my liver isn't functioning well and also they found out that I have hormone imbalance. Im 20 years old and apparently its one of typical thing that people around my age gets this. He will do another test to check my hormone imbalance this weekend. He thinks that my immune system is very low from surgery and also from the imbalance, which makes a lot of sense.

I also had ultrasound scan to check if I have anything and all came out fine. No more gallbladder, no kidney stones, no problem.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
(female)

Got my blood test results back, my liver function is getting better so one good thing!

The main issue is that my hormone imbalance was quite bad than I thought.
According to the test my estrogen level is very high and this could be the reason why I get ill every few weeks.

Doctor told me that this probably all caused by the surgery. The surgery itself went well but probably because of the surgery my body is taking longer to get used to with everything and finding hard to deal with hormone imbalance.

Has anyone had hormone imbalance after the gallbladder surgery? or anyone's symptom got worse after the surgery?

Old 09-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
(female)

elisastudio HB User

Hi, have you been feeling better lately?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
(female)

DakotaDreatime HB User

wow!! hormone imbalance!...i had to go off my hormone therapy pills... a month before surgery..been on them for 21 years..so it has been hell!!!....hot ...perspiring and terrible mood....swings...!!

i just started back on my therapy yesterday....( day 5) as i cant take it anymore....not too sure how this will go........

good luck...glad to hear some things are coming back positive for you.

Reply Reply