It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

jewlstep HB User
New: Found 2 gallstones, surgery scheduled

HI, I went in for an ultrasound about a week in a half ago and they found a couple gallstones and scheduled me for gallbladder removal on Aug 28th. I am nervous and looking at all these sites for information on this surgery and the after effects. I have been busting my butt to lose weight the last year and right now I am down 30 lbs. Since I had my symptoms and found out I feel worse and right now can keep down very little. In 4 days I lost 5 lbs. I seem to be able to eat strawberries, bananas and plain chicken only. I tried chicken with italian dressing on it and I was so sick. Since I am not eating alot , I try to put something in my stomach, but feel I am better not eating anything but liquids. My surgery is 8 days away which seems like forever. I wonder will I lose weight or gain after this surgery. I am so stressed cause everything I seem to read says people gain alot. All my hard work to have it all come back , scares me more than the surgery. Does anyone have any advice for me or can share their experience. Thank you

Old 08-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: New: Found 2 gallstones, surgery scheduled

I have no clue where you are reading that you gain a lot of weight afterwards but it sure isn't on here! The gb helps you to digest fat. That is it's only function. So eat as little fat as possible. That's why the italian dressing caused an attack. Plain baked/roasted chicken, turkey breast, bread, yogurt, fat free milk, veggies, mustard, etc are OK. No mayo, no butter, no sour cream, no cheese, no fried food, salad dressings,etc. Continue to eat that way until about 3 weeks after surgery. Then slowly introcduce them back into your diet. You'll be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
(female)

jewlstep HB User

Okay I just need to stop reading up on wacky sites , and no I didnt read it on this one. I am just clueless when it comes to this. And I have 8 more days left of eating just liquids ugh! I just wish I could just fastforward to my surgery. Now I am planning on taking two weeks off of work to recover , Do you think I will need that whole time?

Old 08-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Depends on your job. If it's mostly sitting at a desk or walking around indoors, you'll probably be well enough to go back within 1 week, maybe even less. But if your work is more physical, with a lot of bending and reaching and maybe some heavy lifting, then you'll probably want more than a week.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
(female)

jewlstep HB User

Oh good, I hear recovery is quick for some. I hope I am one of them. I do have a desk job but I am constantly up and down from my desk, mainly walking around from one section of my building to another , so Maybe I will be fine to go back earlier. I hope so ! My back and shoulder just started bothering me so I am guessing that is just one of the other great symptoms of this , ugh ! To top everything the doctor says I have symptoms of an ulcer as well . ugh They do have me taking meds for that too.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You can have solid food. Plain turkey sandwich, chicken sandwich, plain baked potato (maybe some yogurt on it), etc. Liquids tend to have fat - milk shakes, etc so watch out for that.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
(female)

jewlstep HB User

Right now , I cant have any dairy at all , no yogurt, no chicken, bread makes me sick too filling , at this point everything turns my stomach except for apple juice and apples. Its gonna be a long 8 days. I am gonna try soup chicken broth maybe will help or chicken noodle , but who knows that may bother me too.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Can you try to tell your surgeon how much you are suffering and try to up that surgery date? I really feel badly for you, before my surgery, just about everything I tried to eat made me sick to my stomach, I had horrid back and chest pain, bloating and major league excessive belching...I could eat baked chicken with no skin, brown rice, apple and non-fat yogurt, and Stacy's Naked Pita Chips, that was it! I hope you feel better soon and let us know how you're doing.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You know, chicken soup might be high-fat. Check the label. Veggie soups might be more easily tolerated.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
(female)

michan HB Usermichan HB User

I had my surgery 2 months ago and I've not gained any weight, in fact I've even lost weight after the surgery.
I've lost about 22 pounds before the surgery.

Probably because I also have a lot of different health issues but according to the doctor they don't supposed to affect my appetite. Just since after the surgery I stayed away from fatty and spicy food that sort of stucked into my habit and now I just don't feel like eating anything fatty. Sometimes I do get this 'I need something fatty!!!' feelings but not that often.

I know some people say stick with fat free food for a couple of weeks but I still have to stay away from fatty food... but everyone is different so its hard to give the definite answer

Well this is my experience, although my experience is a bit different to other people because I have other health issues which doesn't happen alot.
I hope you'll feel better soon!

Last edited by michan; 08-23-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
(female)

jewlstep HB User

This week has been hard but I am almost there , Tuesday will be here before I know it. I cant even eat soup now. Strawberries , I tried plain wheat toast but was too filling so I only have one piece now, If my stomach gets full , it bothers me and I feel sick. Sleeping at night is awful , waking up a bunch of times, the omaprozile that they prescribed me for my acid reflux or ulcer , I have no idea isnt helping at all . I even got tums and that doesnt help. I have lost about 7 pounds now in 2 weeks and I will probably reach ten pounds by my surgery. I cant wait to get this over with , will check in after. This is so frustrating.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 AM   #12
(female)

jewlstep HB User

Just wanted to thank you all for your responses and input. Had my gallbladder out yesterday morning. Got home about 4 . When I woke up right after the surgery ,the pain was awful and felt sick to my stomach but of course I wasn't able to throw up since I had nothing all day that day. The surgery was good he was done in about 45 mins and slept til 130. Then my friend picked me up at 3. I'm in bed at home and my stomach is throbbbing. Taking pain meds for that. I woke up every hour last night the pain woke me up I am sure. Lots of people say the next couple days are the worst. Yeah can definitely see that. I hope my recovery is quick. My throat is sore from the breathing tube they put in and my shoulder hurts a little but not too bad. I'm just gonna rest up and get through it. Does anyone have any clue when and if I should go out walking . How many days should I wait or should I be out waking right away?

Old 08-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

As soon as you possibly can. You'll be sore but glad in the long run! Hope recovery goes well for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
jewlstep (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Definitely, get up and walk at least for a few minutes. The process of getting out of bed is the worst part, but once you start to walk, the shoulder pain will improve.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
jewlstep (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
(female)

KWC HB User

Hi, glad your surgery went well! I am aboutva little over a month post op. I started taking little walks in the house from room to room the next day. I did a little more each day. I was told this helps get the gas out that they fill you up with. I was bad and tried to eat some fun foods too quick and had pains come and go for about 3 weeks. I can now say I have no problems eating but trying to eat healthier. I think I am putting a little weight back on which is needed for me. The first few days were painful but it gets better with time. Only thing that still feels weird is my incision by my belly button but dr said it is the nerves regenerating. Sore throat went away after 2 days. Just focus on fat free foods at first and take little walks....you will feel better in time!

The Following User Says Thank You to KWC For This Useful Post:
jewlstep (08-29-2012)
Reply Reply