It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #1
(male)

Daniel1990 HB User
Attacks after Gallbladder removal

Hi, so basically I was diagnosed with gallstones, small ones, as I was being woken up in the night every couple of weeks with very bad cramping, tight pain in my central upper abdomen and it went through to my back. I had about 3 of these attacks, all a few weeks apart from one another, however after those I hasn't had one for about 5 weeks before my surgery.

After several hospital visits for those attacks I finally got it diagnosed and then went about having it out. I just had the procedure Laporoscopically on Thursday the 30th of August. After the procedure the doctor told me there was one stone they found in the bile duct, she said they tried to "flush it" and doing an x-ray afterwards she said "it didn't show that there was one there, but it didn't show that there wasn't one there" and that if I display any symptoms to get in contact with her, the symptoms where jaundice (yellow skin or eyes), pale stools or dark urine, she didn't mention attacks.

Everything was seemingly going fine after going home the next day, I was obviously a bit sore and the wound sites where sore, then on the Saturday night after eating relatively low fat, I had a few kit kat sticks, not many just 2-3, not a full kit kat, and about 2-3 hours later I started feeling pain building and it slowly got worse and I waited it out and eventually it slowly went after about 20ish mins.

Next day I had toast for breakfast, cup noodles for lunch which has 8 grams of fat and then a subway salad for dinner and had no issue. But then on the Monday I had actually eaten quite well, I had a Lite n Easy dinner which is only about 1.2 g of fat, and a skinless chicken salad but that night I had an attack, it was quite painful, reaching about 65% of the pain level I felt in my attacks before the surgery, it last about 20 mins also.

Now today on the Tuesday I again have eaten quite well, I had another chicken salad and then had a mini attack about 30 mins after that, not quite as bad as the one on Monday but enough to make me stop what I'm doing, I then had a Lite n Easy bowl meal which is quite small and had about 1.1 g of fat, about 15 mins after this the pain again started to rise this time slightly worse than the other, it lasted about 5 mins and slowly went away, since that it has now happened about 2 more times this afternoon where the pain just slowly rises and then lasts for 5 minutes and slowly eases off, even without eating anything since.

I have made an appointment at my doctors for tomorrow to maybe get it looked at that the stone is possibly still there and may need to be removed, (to be honest, why they didn't just take it out then and there while I was in surgery instead of chancing it with "flushing" it confuses me a bit).

So basically I just want to know, does this sound like it could be just a stone left over in the duct ( I haven't displayed any of the symptoms she mentioned; Jaundice, dark urine or pale stools)?

Or could it be maybe just my body and digestive system etc are still healing and settling down as I only had the surgery 5 days ago?

Any thoughts on what people think it may be would be massively appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
(female)

KHPaws HB User
Re: Attacks after Gallbladder removal

Hi, I had gall bladder 5 years ago, with key hole surgery. My Consultant said to me afterwards, low fat diet for always. Some people suffer with eating anything fat based after gall bladder removal. I am very lucky I have no problems at all. My stones were all tiny tiny stones, like stones at the bottom of a fish tank!!! Consultant told me a very very rare complication in gall bladder is that one of the tiny stones could get stuck or could form in the tube. It sounds to me that this may be the case but should easily be diagnosed by your consultant, but I would take it very easy on your diet especially so soon after your op, Consultant told me it takes a while for the liver to take over and do the little bit of extra work now your gall bladder is gone, but when all is settled you should be fine, although Consultant said to me Liver will be fine. His words, low fat, low fat, low fat.... so dont overwork your system, small and often I think at the moment. Even though laproscopic surgery appears a small op, you have had an organ removed from your body and it all has to settle. Oh and I was told to take Milk Thistle Bio Remedy... helps keep your liver healthy!! Hope all that helps.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You should not be eating any fat for at least 2 weeks to give your bile duct time to adjust. It is most likely that but it could be a stone also. They are often very difficult to find in the bile duct.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
(male)

Daniel1990 HB User

Problem is I am having these attacks even when I don't eat fatty foods, sometimes when I haven't eaten at all.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
(female)

KHPaws HB User
Smile Re: Attacks after Gallbladder removal

This is because the bile is alway helping with digestion, so it will move the stone, go and see someone... you dont have to suffer like that.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User

The doctor should probably do an ERCP, which is like an endosocopy, but he can snip open the bile duct and let the stone out. It happened to me and after that I was fine.

Reply Reply

Tags
bile duct, gall stones, gallbladdder, gallbladder attack, gallbladder removal