It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
(female)

Lolly808 HB UserLolly808 HB User
How long does pain last after surgery

My husband had emergency gallbladder removal on Saturday morning.

He came home Saturday evening and Sunday he was feeling pretty good.

Now Monday a little worse, and Tuesday he slept most of the day and had quite a lot of pain. He is taking percocet and they seem to work.

This morning, Wednesday he awoke in a lot of pain, still doesn't want to move around much and has a little more swelling around his bellyutton area.

I have to say on Sunday he was feeling not to so bad and did move around a lot that day. Also, he hasn't been eating low fat, he is eating what he wants.

I am a broken record and he just won't listen. He doesn't have diarhea, in fact he was constipated from the pain meds. He took some mag citrate, and I believe he has a little left over runny stools from that.

could his pain be from not watching his diet? I caught him eating a beef jerky round stick thing, and he ate noodles with parmesan cream sauce for dinner last night.

I'm just worried that he is so lethargic and has so much pain. He does not have good pain tolerance and is definitley NOT a good patient as you can see.

I'm about worn out and I'm recovering from Thyroid Cancer.

any info would be appreciated!

Old 09-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: How long does pain last after surgery

I want to wish you the best in your recovery from Thyroid Cancer, please take care of yourself, my heart goes out to you!

Recovery from a laparascopic gallbladder surgery varies from person to person. My guess is your DH had pain meds from the anesthesia left in him on Sunday, that's probably why he felt pretty good. When that wears off, many are left with the gas pains in the shoulder, plus the soreness near the incisions. Getting up and walking around is the only way I know of to get rid of the gas pains! That and drinking lots of water and eating low fat. He won't want to hear this but the best thing is to get off the pain meds as soon as possible, they can and do cause constipation. My surgeon said to take a stool softener for every Vicodin I took. I was off pain meds after a day and a half. I felt tenderness around my midsection for about 2 weeks, I could hardly button my pants, to tell you the truth! I had to eat low fat for a number of months, this gives your system a chance to adjust to not having a gallbladder to store the bile excreted by the liver. Yeah, beef jerky isn't the best choice for someone in his position, but I understand you can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink it LOL! Good luck to the both of you, please let us know how you're doing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: How long does pain last after surgery

I second everything Rufous57 says. He needs to eat low to no fat ans walk as much as possible.

Reply Reply