It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
(male)

gustav213 HB User
Just noticed GB problems

So I went to the ER thinking I had appendicitis but turned out it is my gallbladder. The ultrasound they did was not very helpful since I didn't fast before hand. I will be getting another ultrasound this week and will probably ask for a CT scan to check my liver and spleen while I am at it.

I was wondering right now I have mild discomfort every so often if I eat high fat foods such as McDonald's etc. The last two days I switched to rice, bread and fish, which have been treating me nicely and the discomfort has gone mostly away.

I am hoping that if I don't have stones a drastic diet change of cutting back on fast food and alcohol should take most of the pain and discomfort away. Is anyone else out there in my situation or been there?

Old 09-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Just noticed GB problems

The gallbladder helps digest fats so eliminate them as much as possible and it should help. And not fasting before the ultrasound shouldn't make any difference in whether the stones,thickening or sludge show up. Alcohol really doesn't have anything to do with gallbladder issues.

If none of these showed up on the u/s, then a HIDA scan which tests for gb function should be done. Below 35% or about 75% ejection fraction is considered non functioning. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
(female)

patty779 HB User

My doctor told me roughly half of gallstone attacks are started by alcohol, with the other half roughly being fatty foods. She told me that after I mentioned that my two attacks last month both came on while I was drinking a mild alcoholic drink.

I was curious about why fasting wouldn't make a difference (since they tell you to fast beforehand). Maybe having the digestive system active can cause bowel gas to obstruct some areas viewed by the ultrasound.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
(female)

patty779 HB User

For the record, my doctor told me that roughly half of gallstone attacks are brought on by alcohol. I dunno how accurate that statistic is because it was something she said in response to me noting that my two attacks last month both happened while I was drinking a mild alcoholic drink. I've read anecdotes that some people get away with drinking, but I personally avoid it now since pain has trained me...

They made me fast before my ultrasound and I think it had something to do with having the digestive system not be active so that bowel gas and whatnot isn't obscuring the view of various places in the abdomen. That said, I found a neat link to a study that concluded (as Titchou said) that fasting before an ultrasound doesn't make much of a difference.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC183866/

Last edited by patty779; 09-18-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Reply Reply