It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
(female)

patty779 HB User
Morning gallstone attacks ~12 hours after last meal?

Hi all,

I was awakened this morning around 8 with what I'm pretty positive was a gallstone attack. It was different in many ways from what I'm used to with the attacks, but still had the right-upper-quadrant pain that I usually get, can't get the pain to relieve in any position, and suddenly disappearing after a few hours for no apparent reason. I ate food that could possibly cause an attack last night around 8pm (not fatty foods, but I overate a little bit). I hadn't eaten anything for 12 hours when this attack woke me up in the morning.

Has this happened to any of you gallstone veterans? Have you heard of this as a time an attack can happen?

Also, bonus question. Doctors have confirmed gallstones with an ultrasound and an 18% EF for my gallbladder with a HIDA scan. The doctor said my symptoms and tests pretty much point to surgical removal of the gallbladder, but she said she could refer me to a gastroenterologist for an upper endoscopy. I dunno if this is necessary and I'm really tired of the hours of doctor appointments and fasting and then going straight to work after... I don't know if I want to do it, or just hope it's truly just my gallbladder and get the surgery. Thoughts?

Last edited by patty779; 09-18-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Morning gallstone attacks ~12 hours after last meal?

I don't know how more definitive you need - you have stones and they have damaged your gb to the point it's barely functioning (18%). How much more evidence do you need that this is your problem? I went with just the results of my u/s and said take it out. Be done with it!

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
patty779 (09-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
(female)

patty779 HB User

Thanks for the response. This is kinda how I feel too. Not only that, but I looked up the procedure and it seems pretty intense. I would have to take the day off from work because you have to let 8-12 hours pass after the procedure to recover from the sedation.

I guess the question is, am I now positive that it's my gallbladder? Is there really anything else it could be? The fear I have is that I'll have my gallbladder removed and then the problems won't abate and it'll turn out to be some other thing. But, like you, I feel like all the evidence points to gallstones. In spite of being as careful as I'm probably capable, I've had two attacks in less than a week, and I need this to be done with. I'll probably ask the surgeon's opinion when I have my cholecystectomy consultation, but I'm quite leery of it.

Last edited by patty779; 09-18-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
(female)

elisastudio HB User

I really think it is your gallbladder.... hopefully you had it taken out already.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
(female)

patty779 HB User

I haven't had it out yet. I had a surgery consultation for tomorrow but I just got a call that the surgeon had triple-booked that time somehow and cancelled it.

Last edited by patty779; 09-24-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Reply Reply