It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

scarletspy HB User
Stomach problems gallbladder related?

In November last year I decided to start eating better and trying to lose weight. For a while things went great. I was losing weight and feeling better. I had more energy, etc. The only issue was I started having problems with my stomach. One day I'd be constipated and the next I'd have diarrhea. When I spoke to my doctor she said it was due to the change in my diet and excess stomach acid and prescribed me Omeprazole. She said once my stomach had time to adapt to my lifestyle changes, it would settle down.

It didn't.

I started feeling nauseated after eating and I would have episodes where I would get really hot and dizzy after food. I had an appoint a couple of months ago. I went to lunch before my appointment and about half an hour after lunch I started feeling hot/dizzy/nauseated. I had to sit in my GPs office for five minutes before I could speak, I felt so ill. She gave me something for nausea and told me to go home and lie down until it passed.

I'm still having the same symptoms now. I feel worse after eating something fatty. After eating a meal like that, it's not long before I have to run to the toilet. I have soft stools every time I go to the toilet so much that it sticks to the bowl. I start feeling nauseated if i don't eat frequently and I'm much hungrier than I usually am. Also, I'm not sure if it's related but in the past week or so, I've been feeling really thirsty and urinating more often.

I had blood tests to check my thyroid, blood sugar and hemoglobin and they all came back fine.

From what I've read online, my symptoms seem to be gallbadder related except for one thing. I don't have the excruciating pain in my abdomen that accompanies a gallbladder attack. The past couple of weeks I have had an off and on ache around my bra strap like I've been leaning over a table all day. Also, I've had a burning feeling in my abdomen that feels like heartburn but it doesn't go away with antacids. However, these feelings are uncomfortable and mildly painful but nothing unbearable.

Could my symptoms be related to my gallbladder or is it more likey to be something like acid reflux?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Stomach problems gallbladder related?

It could very well be gallbladder related. I've had friends whose only symptom was nausea and it turned out to be gallstones. I'd ask for an ultrasound. If that comes back negative for stones, sludge, thickening then I'd ask for a HIDA Scan. It will test for gb function. Below 35% and above 75% are considered non functioning.

Keep us posted.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

You sound like you have the side effects from the the omeprazole. I take the same medicine and if your body is not use to it or the does is to high hot flashes or flushing are a common side effect

Some people are more sensitive to the this medication that others like if your prone to getting flush or hot while drinking alcohol or coffee and even spicy food people tend to get these sensations from Prilosec

Last edited by moderator2; 09-23-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
(female)

scarletspy HB User

Thanks for the advice. I saw my Doctor this morning and she says my symptoms have been going on for too long now. She's taking me off the Omeprazole for the next month so that I can get a breath test for h. pylori. Also, she's referring me to the hospital for an ultrasound. In the meantime I've been given Ranitidine and Metoclopramide so we'll se how it goes.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
(female)

scarletspy HB User

Thanks for the advice. I saw my Doctor this morning and she says my symptoms have been going on for too long now. She's taking me off the Omeprazole for the next month so that I can get a breath test for h. pylori. Also, she's referring me to the hospital for an ultrasound. In the meantime I've been given Ranitidine and Metoclopramide so we'll se how it goes.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks again for your help.

Reply Reply