It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
(female)

Celestemoon HB User
Low carb post gallbladder

Hi -not sure whether anyone can help. I had my gallbladder out last Friday, in a fairly simple lap chol. My gallbladder had been giving symptoms since about 2006. - lots. Of diarrhoea, passing oil, some pain etc. Turns out a small stone was completely blocking the outlet.

Since 2006 though, the diarrhoea stopped being an issue. Still had pain and a lot of gastric issues (
gerd/Gord, barrett's oesophagus, pain etc).

The main issue I'm having now is that I'm also very strongly insulin resistant, and carbs knock me out - something like a bowl of porridge will send me to sleep for a few hours. I've been low carb for that reason for a year and it has been a life changer - I can work now, while before I was just too sick.

So does anyone have any suggestions for how I should cope during this healing period? I have already eaten too much fat since Friday - but I haven't had any diarrhoea. Any suggestions on how to go fat free, low carb? Has anyone else done that before?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
(female)

Celestemoon HB User
Re: Low carb post gallbladder

Have to say also that unlike many here, I'm ravenous! The hunger is overwhelming.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

That is a tough one but yogurt, baked turkey, chicken, low fat fish, veggies, fat free salad dressing should all be OK.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
(female)

omaof2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestemoon View Post
Hi -not sure whether anyone can help. I had my gallbladder out last Friday, in a fairly simple lap chol. My gallbladder had been giving symptoms since about 2006. - lots. Of diarrhoea, passing oil, some pain etc. Turns out a small stone was completely blocking the outlet.

Since 2006 though, the diarrhoea stopped being an issue. Still had pain and a lot of gastric issues (
gerd/Gord, barrett's oesophagus, pain etc).

The main issue I'm having now is that I'm also very strongly insulin resistant, and carbs knock me out - something like a bowl of porridge will send me to sleep for a few hours. I've been low carb for that reason for a year and it has been a life changer - I can work now, while before I was just too sick.

So does anyone have any suggestions for how I should cope during this healing period? I have already eaten too much fat since Friday - but I haven't had any diarrhoea. Any suggestions on how to go fat free, low carb? Has anyone else done that before?
I'm waiting for final tests and gall bladder surgery, I have diabetes, celiac disease and now no fat ;-( It is quite a challenge and yes, I'm hungry much of the time too. I eat very small amounts of bread or rice at one time and concentrate on fruits, vegetables, no fat yogurt and cottage cheese. And I eat a lot of beans, pinto and kidney. They are high fibre so the carbs absorb very slowly. For supper tonight I had a baked fillet of sole, cooked carrots, tomato, with fresh pineapple for desert. I hope this gives you some ideas.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
(female)

Celestemoon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaof2 View Post
I'm waiting for final tests and gall bladder surgery, I have diabetes, celiac disease and now no fat ;-( It is quite a challenge and yes, I'm hungry much of the time too. I eat very small amounts of bread or rice at one time and concentrate on fruits, vegetables, no fat yogurt and cottage cheese. And I eat a lot of beans, pinto and kidney. They are high fibre so the carbs absorb very slowly. For supper tonight I had a baked fillet of sole, cooked carrots, tomato, with fresh pineapple for desert. I hope this gives you some ideas.
Thanks to both. Beans tend to be too carby for me - anything that gives me the knock out reaction I know is too much. Cottage cheese & pineapple might be an idea though. Also making protein smoothies with no fat yoghurt and berries.

Thanks again- wish me luck!

What happens if we do eat fat after the operation? I figure that my gallbladder hadn't worked for a long time beforehand anyway, so the bile duct/liver would have been used to providing all the bile? Or am I just guessing?

i was able to eat plenty of fat before the operation (despite the blocked tube out), so I did sort of rely on it. (I did get symptoms, but only if I went overboard with something ridiculous like crackling or cream-cream was very bad)

Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
(female)

omaof2 HB User

I understand that when the gall bladder is removed the bile duct goes straight to the intestine, so there is no bile storage to send out when extra is needed. Some folks after surgery get indigestion from eating fatty stuff, but I know a lot of people who are minus gall bladders and they have no digestive problems at all.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The duct usually will regulate itself if given time. So, I always advise people to do 2-3 weeks of no fat and then slowly introduce it into the diet. It seems to work well. It did for me when I had mine out.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
(female)

vachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB User

I bought low fat Ensure and drank that every day after surgery. It's low in fat and has 25 grams of protein.

Reply Reply

Tags
cholecystectomy, low carb