It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
(female)

DakotaDreatime HB User
Gall Bladder ( laporoscopic) removed Sept 28 2012

i am 49 yrs and after months of discomfort and pain, i had my gall bladder removed.
i am fairly healthy with a history of gyneacological cancer '91, pnuemnonia one year later. ovarian surgery 2007.

i have had ongoing digestive disorders since my cancer. a naturopath helped me a couple of years ago by suggesting a gluten and yeast free diet, which helped greatly! i have been red meat free since i was 14, i only eat eggs, no other dairy or soy.

My gall bladder surgery was 4 days ago.

day one: woke up felt fine regarding the surgery, however oxygen levels were low and i needed to stay in over night. i also felt a lot of neasea for which i was given gravol. However i also discovered i had adhesions from prior sugeries so my operation was twice longer then expected. surgery was at 12noon. i was moved to a ward at 8.45pm. had a piece of toast and 2 small cups of tea. no incidences

day two: after some off and on sleep, got up for a walk at about 4.30am. felt not too bad. small sips of water and pain killers. when osxgen levels finaly got up to over 92 i was allowed to go home at 4pm :-)

day three: feeling pretty good. spent a restful day, small snacks of toast and cups of tea. pain killers still being taken every 4 hrs.

day four: feeling good. showered, dishes done, small light load of laundry. picked up by a friend, went to the home office i work out of for a meeting and a visit. they had set the couch up for me as a day bed etc. i work in health care and they are all nurses so i knew i was in good hands.

not a good night last night!!! had a piece of fish ( small) mashed potato and peas. ...later had a very small bowl of soup and ice cream!
a couple of hrs later...felt very sick.....and a little disoriented. started vomiting......took some gravol and slept till 7.30am. i should not have had so much to eat..and esp the ice cream!!!

day five: I have woken feeling not too bad. Had a piece of toast and now trying some tea. A little scared to eat anything to be truthful.

i hope this is helpful in some way to others. i have read other peoples posts and other forums and it seems to me we are all different and there is no norm for this procedures recovery. i wish every one well and best wishes for good health.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Gall Bladder ( laporoscopic) removed Sept 28 2012

Leave off the fat. No ice cream, sauces, cheese, fried food, etc. For at least 2 weeks after surgery. Then slowly introduce it. It wasn't how much you ate but rather what you ate.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
(female)

DDinCA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDreatime View Post
i am 49 yrs and after months of discomfort

day five: I have woken feeling not too bad. Had a piece of toast and now trying some tea. A little scared to eat anything to be truthful.

i hope this is helpful in some way to others. i have read other peoples posts and other forums and it seems to me we are all different and there is no norm for this procedures recovery. i wish every one well and best wishes for good health.....
Wishing you a speedy and successful recovery. You were so kind to post your adventure.

I'm five weeks out of my surgery and the advice about what to eat and what not has been very helpful. Wish I had more instruction from my health care professionals.

I agree with the poster above me. The ice cream and full fat milk products, or anything full fat, even my favorite go-to peanut butter, can be an adventure in pain right after surgery.

Do your best to avoid food with fat for a week or three. If you treat your tummy and liver like you would a baby who's progressing from milk and rice to solid foods, and eat very small meals, it makes the recovery process that much more enjoyable.

Applesauce, rice, toast, and bananas can be wonderful go to foods.

Stay hydrated and avoid caffeine.

Take care.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
(female)

coachdeb HB User

I had my gallbladder removed four years ago and I honestly don't think I have had any of the problems you sometimes hear of with gallbladder removal. Mine was removed because it was only functioning at 6 percent, meaning that it didn't turn over and dump when it was supposed to. I had mild pain, very mild in fact, but unbelievable nausea. I know of folks who had the horrific pain of gallbladder attacks and had them removed like yourself, but I would just suggest to take things slowly hon. You know your body better than anyone. High fat foods bother some but not others, etc. I never had problems with it, but the other digestive issues give me problems with it. Just introduce one food at a time over several days, maybe, to see how you do with it. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Reply Reply

Tags
nausea and vomiting, surgery