It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
(female)

NCCajun HB User
Hida scan question

About two months ago, I went to the ER with what I thought was a possible heart attack. After an overnight stay and bunches of tests, I was discharged with non cardiac chest pain. I do have GERD and IBS. Finally saw my gastro dr 2 weeks ago and had an endoscopy and HIDA scan, both came back ok. My question is if the gall bladder is ok, why did it HIDA reproduce the same feeling I had when I was at the ER? Does that test make all gall bladders act up?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Hida scan question

Yes, it does. Why did they not do an ultrasound? That usually the first test when gb issues are suspected as stone will show up in that. HIDA Scan is for function. What was your score on that? Below 35% and about 75% are non functioning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
(female)

NCCajun HB User

I'm not sure why we did this test, I was still out of it after the endoscopy when all this was planed. At this point, I don't care what tests I have to have, I just want results. Dr.'s nurse called me and I explained to her that this test reproduced the exact pain I had when I thought I was having a heart attack. To me, if this test reproduced the exact same pain, pressure, etc that cause me to have an overnight stay at the hospital for possible cardiac problems, then it would seem I have some kind of gall bladder problem. I've had acid reflux for 20 yrs and diagnosed with IBS about 10 yrs ago but this is the first that my gall bladder has been mentioned.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You may have a gb problem but maybe not the one the HIDA tests for. It ONLY tests for function - how efficiently it works. It does not show stones, sludge or thinckening of the gb walls. An ultrasound is needed for that. Call tham back and ask for your score on the HIDA. If it is between 36 and 74%, then ask for an ultrasound. Below 35 or above 75, ask what surgeon they recommend.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
(female)

NCCajun HB User

Ultrasound came back with gallstones, they refereed me to a surgeon. I'm waiting on the records dept. to send me written results of HIDA scan and ultrasound. I'd like to see what my percentage is. I hope that this surgery will help, it's stressful having constant nausea, chest pains, and fatigue.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Am sure it will work out well for you. Avoid fat until then - and for 2 - 3 weeks after surgery. Keep us posted.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
(female)

vachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB User

It took 3 months to diagnose my gall bladder issues, because I didn't have gall stones. I had an infected/inflamed gall bladder. This problem is such a low percentage that doctors often miss it.

Reply Reply