It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
(male)

zacware HB User
Liver Enzymes and Bilirubin after Gallbladder Removal

Well, my wife went in for what was to be a simple gallbladder removal for 1 day. I just took her home after 18 days in the hospital. A stone stuck in her bile duct turned out to be unusually large. They tried a sphincterotomy during the ERCP and the next day she hemorrhaged from a complication during the ERCP and almost went into cardiac arrest.

The gallbladder was finally removed laproscopically. It was apparently packed with stones and in very bad shape. She had fluid in her abdomen afterwards found via MRCP but a hida-scan ruled out a bile leak.

She is home now but her bilirubin and liver enzymes are still high and go down for a day but then creep back up again. She's currently hovering around 7 and 8 for her bilirubin.Her liver enzymes remain elevated too. She is also trying to get her hemoglobin up too since the hemorrhage, that is down to around 8 as well.

Can anyone confirm or deny that it may take some time for her liver to recover and her bilirubin to go down or should it go down more quickly since she had the surgery. I'm just trying to get some real-world experiences so we can better judge whether we should be pushing for more tests or should just give her more time to heal.

Thanks.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Liver Enzymes and Bilirubin after Gallbladder Removal

It took about 3 months before my bilirubin was back to normal. With all her issues, I would expect it would take a while to level out but I would keep an eye on it. If it's not going down a good bit 6-8 weeks later, I'd be at least a little concerned. But it can take some time to return to normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
(male)

zacware HB User
Re: Liver Enzymes and Bilirubin after Gallbladder Removal

Thanks for the reply. We get a different answer from each doctor that's involved so it's hard to gauge. It's nice to hear from another source that it might take a little while. A few doctors expected it to drop right away. We are certainly keeping an eye on it, but it's a little reassuring to know that it might take a while. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
It took about 3 months before my bilirubin was back to normal. With all her issues, I would expect it would take a while to level out but I would keep an eye on it. If it's not going down a good bit 6-8 weeks later, I'd be at least a little concerned. But it can take some time to return to normal.

Reply Reply