It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
(male)

sunnytrail75 HB User
which gallbladder surgery to choose?

I finally decided to use surgery to deal with my gallstone issue. Now I have 3 options. Can someone give me some inputs?

1. Robot assisted (DaVinci system) to remove gallbladder
2. regular laparoscope surgery to remove gallbladder
3. laparoscope surgery to remove gallstone while keeping gallbladder

For the last one, I will have to fly to China. There is a big hospital there can do this. But some doctors told me that there is a certain chance that the gallstone may happen again if the 3rd option is chosen.

Ultrasound showed 2 stones in my gallbladder. Each is around 5mm X 5mm

Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: which gallbladder surgery to choose?

1 or 2. The other is too iffy. And there is a reason they don't do it here - it's not all that successful. Even the Da vinci is almost the same as lap just with the robot instead of the surgeon actually doing it. Whichever one your insurance will pay for.

The following user gives a hug of support to Titchou:
sunnytrail75 (11-20-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
sunnytrail75 (11-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
(male)

sunnytrail75 HB User

Hi, Titchou, thank you very much for your information and encouragement. I just had my gallbladder removed today. The surgery is very smooth and it lasts for only 40 minutes. I picked the regular lap surgery instead of the Davinci Robot assisted one. Like many folks in this board, I was very nervous before the surgery. But I finally made the decision and bite the bullet to have it removed. It has been 4 years since they first found the stones in it. I had 5 attacks in total. Every time I ended in ER. I It is not an easy decision. But I feel it is the right thing to do. I will continue to update this post on my recovery. I hope this will help and encourage other folks who are facing the same decision.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Thanks for updating. And that's how long it took for mine - from the time I drifted off till I woke up in recovery. Remember to eat low or no fat for the next two or three weeks. And then slowly introduce it into your diet. That'llbe a bummer for Thanksgiving but it will be worth it. Keep us posted and continued good healing.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
(male)

sunnytrail75 HB User

Today is the 4th day after the surgery. The recovery is quite smooth and incision wound is healing quickly. Everything looks fine. I feel quite healthy now. I had some minor diarrhea yesterday morning after breakfast. But it went back to normal very soon. I still keep low-fat diet. But I added back the low fat milk into my breakfast today. My body is OK with that. I also tried chocolate, fish, shrimp and lean beef/pork yesterday. My body has no problem either. I will try some nuts this afternoon. I will keep the folks posted.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
(male)

sunnytrail75 HB User
Re: which gallbladder surgery to choose? (post surgeru recovery update)

As many folks are reading this board while waiting for the surgery, I will give an update on my recovery status. Hopefully it will help and bring some encouragement to those folks.

I had my surgery on Nov 20. Now it is more than 3 weeks. Overall the recovery is much quicker than I anticipated. I only took pain med for 1 day after surgery. I put myself into low fat diet since then. During follow up after a week, the surgeon told me I'm completely normal. He even does not think I need to eat low fat. (But I will keep it for at least 5-6 weeks.)

I tries out lean meat, fish, shrimp and low fat milk on 4th day after surgery. My body is OK with them. I even tried nuts, which also turns out to be OK. I indeed had minor diarrhea in 2-3 occasions after having a little more cooking oils in the food. But overall it is under control and getting better every day. I even had a little sausage yesterday and it went OK.

From my experience, I would say i) low fat, but not necessarily no-fat ii) eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables to have enough fiber, especially if you are slowly adding meat or milk back to your diet. iii) most importantly, do not always think you have lost an organ. That will not help but to make you more stressful. Of course every one is different. But all in all, the body really has an amazing capability to adjust after your gallbladder is removed. I am happy that I made the decision to remove that "hidden bomb".

Old 12-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Re: which gallbladder surgery to choose? (post surgeru recovery update)

Great! Glad you are doing so well. Continued good healing.

Reply Reply