It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
(male)

fearthepanthers HB User
Feeling Dizzy, Post Gallbladder Removal

I guess I should start with the symptoms of why my gallbladder was removed. Since the end of May I had been having on again, off again symptoms. Most days, I felt like I was going to throw up (without eating) throughout the entire day. Some days it would hurt for an hour, some days it would hurt all day. I also had a lot of gas (mainly burps) in the morning when I woke up. They went away throughout the day but I still had gas.

I also had a lot of people tell me I looked pale throughout the period of having my gallbladder (which they have since said I finally have color back)

I had some dizziness during that period and was told by a lot of people it was a symptom of having a bad gallbladder.

I had blood work done. Everything came out normal.
I had a stomach emptying test done to see if my stomach was moving food through quickly enough. It was fine.
I had a CT Scan of my abdomen. Everything looked normal.
I had a HIDA Scan and found out that my gallbladder was only emptying at 16%.

However, in the beginning, I had pain when I ate but that went away. I had pain in my back, which they told me was radiating from my gallbladder.

Last Thursday, (10 days ago), I had my gallbladder removed.

I am still having a few problems. My stomach hurts from time to time. Some days are bad like they used to be and some days are great. I have had pain in my back three times since I had it removed. Finally, I have been dizzy again and again. Probably 5-7 days of being dizzy.

Did anyone else have these problems? When did everything go away? Did everything go away?

Thanks for any help

Last edited by fearthepanthers; 11-11-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Feeling Dizzy, Post Gallbladder Removal

Pain in the back/shoulder area is most likely due from the gas they inflated you with. It can take 2 weeks or more to dissipate. Walking is best for this. Also, what is your diet like at this point? Still eating fat free? You have a couple of weeks more to go before you should be trying any fat.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
(male)

fearthepanthers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Pain in the back/shoulder area is most likely due from the gas they inflated you with. It can take 2 weeks or more to dissipate. Walking is best for this. Also, what is your diet like at this point? Still eating fat free? You have a couple of weeks more to go before you should be trying any fat.
I have been trying my best. Sticking with eggs and noodles and some chicken (with any fat trimmed off of it).

What about the dizziness? Did you have your gallbladder removed. How long did it take to feel "better"

Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Honey, I hate to tell you but EGGS are fat! NO EGGS! NO DAIRY! If it's in the dairy case, stay away. If you have high cholesterol they tell you to quit eating eggs. I didn't have any dizziness. What's your blood pressure like? Blood sugar?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
(male)

fearthepanthers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Honey, I hate to tell you but EGGS are fat! NO EGGS! NO DAIRY! If it's in the dairy case, stay away. If you have high cholesterol they tell you to quit eating eggs. I didn't have any dizziness. What's your blood pressure like? Blood sugar?
I am 24 years old. They told me my blood pressure was great. The day of my surgery, the nurse told me she rarely sees a blood pressure so normal on day of surgery.

I have never had my blood sugar tested, but I did have blood work done when all of this started because they thought it was appendicitis or something wrong with my liver. I feel that they would have tested my blood sugar then too.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
(female)

yrsofpainsucks HB Useryrsofpainsucks HB Useryrsofpainsucks HB User

I had my gallbladder removed about a year ago. My dizzy spells stopped after about two weeks. I know that most people say you feel brand new after a month but it took me close to six to feel normal. In some ways I still dont feel normal though. If I eat a fatty meal I had better have a bathroom avaliable in ten steps or less. Not everyone has that issue though. The pain in your back and shoulder is most likley what titchou said. It was a good 3 weeks before that was gone. I have to say that was the most painful thing out of the whole surg. And I was walking regularly the day after surg. I went back to work the day after (I do not reccomend this-my doc was very angry but my job was on the line)

I just had another thought though. Your dizzy spells may be due to pain meds. I dont know if you are still on them but that may be what is causing them. I would say though if they are not subsiding by your post-op appt I would bring it up with your doc. Google recepies for post op gallbladder. people with no gallbladder, diet for no gallbladder etc. Not sure if you like fish but it is good for us with no gallbladder. I hope this helps

Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
(male)

fearthepanthers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrsofpainsucks View Post
I had my gallbladder removed about a year ago. My dizzy spells stopped after about two weeks. I know that most people say you feel brand new after a month but it took me close to six to feel normal. In some ways I still dont feel normal though. If I eat a fatty meal I had better have a bathroom avaliable in ten steps or less. Not everyone has that issue though. The pain in your back and shoulder is most likley what titchou said. It was a good 3 weeks before that was gone. I have to say that was the most painful thing out of the whole surg. And I was walking regularly the day after surg. I went back to work the day after (I do not reccomend this-my doc was very angry but my job was on the line)

I just had another thought though. Your dizzy spells may be due to pain meds. I dont know if you are still on them but that may be what is causing them. I would say though if they are not subsiding by your post-op appt I would bring it up with your doc. Google recepies for post op gallbladder. people with no gallbladder, diet for no gallbladder etc. Not sure if you like fish but it is good for us with no gallbladder. I hope this helps
That actually helps because at this point, I am beyond frustrated with everything. I just want to go back to feeling healthy again. The doctor told me there was a 20% chance that they would have to scope my stomach if I was still feeling sick.

I just want to be healthy again

Old 11-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
(female)

asorge HB User

I can't help you with the dizziness issue, but I want to tell you to please be patient with your body when it comes to not feeling great yet!

I had very similar symptoms to you before I had my GB out. Very nauseous all the time, lost a lot of weight. I had my GB removed on Sept. 8 of this year. Honestly, I felt kind of queasy and did not have much of an appetite for the first 3-4 weeks at least. I felt like I got full very quickly after eating only a little, and stayed full for a long time after I ate, felt nauseous if I ate too much. I was also worried something was wrong with me. That feeling has gradually gotten better, however. It had nothing to do with eating "low fat" for me - I was eating low fat, it didn't make a difference.

My surgeon and GI doctor both reassured me that it is totally normal - particularly after I had been so sick prior to my GB removal! They said I should not feel like I had to force myself to eat. I would say a week after my GB removal (and for the next week or 2 after that), I ate half a small plain bagel (no cream cheese) for breakfast, half a small coffee cup worth of soup for lunch, and a small amount of plain noodles or crackers for dinner. I slowly increased food as my appetite came back, but I tried to stick to "easy to digest" food - canned soft vegetables, fruit cocktail, etc.

Hnd honestly, even now, 2 months later, my appetite is still not quite back to normal. But I am no longer nauseous all the time like I was, and I listen to my body when it comes to eating.

So be patient with yourself - give it a few more weeks. I was concerned after reading online about people eating meals, regular food, etc.

One positive thing for me is that I do not have diarrhea after eating fat or a larger meal like everyone seems to say online!! So don't necessarily think it will happen to you.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
(male)

fearthepanthers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asorge View Post
I can't help you with the dizziness issue, but I want to tell you to please be patient with your body when it comes to not feeling great yet!

I had very similar symptoms to you before I had my GB out. Very nauseous all the time, lost a lot of weight. I had my GB removed on Sept. 8 of this year. Honestly, I felt kind of queasy and did not have much of an appetite for the first 3-4 weeks at least. I felt like I got full very quickly after eating only a little, and stayed full for a long time after I ate, felt nauseous if I ate too much. I was also worried something was wrong with me. That feeling has gradually gotten better, however. It had nothing to do with eating "low fat" for me - I was eating low fat, it didn't make a difference.

My surgeon and GI doctor both reassured me that it is totally normal - particularly after I had been so sick prior to my GB removal! They said I should not feel like I had to force myself to eat. I would say a week after my GB removal (and for the next week or 2 after that), I ate half a small plain bagel (no cream cheese) for breakfast, half a small coffee cup worth of soup for lunch, and a small amount of plain noodles or crackers for dinner. I slowly increased food as my appetite came back, but I tried to stick to "easy to digest" food - canned soft vegetables, fruit cocktail, etc.

Hnd honestly, even now, 2 months later, my appetite is still not quite back to normal. But I am no longer nauseous all the time like I was, and I listen to my body when it comes to eating.

So be patient with yourself - give it a few more weeks. I was concerned after reading online about people eating meals, regular food, etc.

One positive thing for me is that I do not have diarrhea after eating fat or a larger meal like everyone seems to say online!! So don't necessarily think it will happen to you.
See, I am having the problem where I feel sick to my stomach even without eating. I went to my post operation doctor's appointment and he told me I may have to have an endoscopy because that was never done before I got my gallbladder removed. He believes I may have inflammation of my stomach or too much stomach bacteria.

It has actually become worse as I get further away from my surgery. In the beginning, I felt better. Now, I feel like I could throw up at least once a day for the last five days.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
(female)

asorge HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthepanthers View Post
See, I am having the problem where I feel sick to my stomach even without eating. I went to my post operation doctor's appointment and he told me I may have to have an endoscopy because that was never done before I got my gallbladder removed. He believes I may have inflammation of my stomach or too much stomach bacteria.

It has actually become worse as I get further away from my surgery. In the beginning, I felt better. Now, I feel like I could throw up at least once a day for the last five days.
I kind of felt like that too, at least sort of. My surgeon gave me a RX for Zofran for nausea which help. I also took Prilosec every day to help with stomach acid. My surgeon told me that the pyloric sphincter and the whole stomach/digestive system is swollen, so it's tough to eat and some people feel nauseous.

I also had an endoscopy before my surgery and I had some yeast, so I received IV Diflucan in the hospital for that. Having an endoscopy is SO easy (compared to gallbladder surgery!) - I would definitely suggest it, it doesn't hurt to check things out.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
(male)

fearthepanthers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asorge View Post
I kind of felt like that too, at least sort of. My surgeon gave me a RX for Zofran for nausea which help. I also took Prilosec every day to help with stomach acid. My surgeon told me that the pyloric sphincter and the whole stomach/digestive system is swollen, so it's tough to eat and some people feel nauseous.

I also had an endoscopy before my surgery and I had some yeast, so I received IV Diflucan in the hospital for that. Having an endoscopy is SO easy (compared to gallbladder surgery!) - I would definitely suggest it, it doesn't hurt to check things out.
You felt sick to your stomach even when you don't eat? I wake up and my stomach hurts for 30-45 minutes and then goes away and then I feel sick to my stomach on and off for the rest of the day.

I also have been burping a lot more....

Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
(female)

Ever since I started having problems with my GB I have nausea every morning. Before and after surg. Its been about 2 years of this so now its a part of my daily routine. At first I thought I was pregnant when it started. But month after month my period would come and tests negative. I then started having GB issues that would put me down. After my surg I still have morning sickness. I have to wake up an hour before I start getting ready. I have enough timre to potty and get to the couch before it hits too bad. I never vomit and I have tried Zofran, Phenegran, and daily meds ie Zegrid, Priolsec. Nothing has ever helped with it. In fact some made things worse. So I just wake up at 5am to get ready at 6am. I lay on the couch watching a movie or whatever I happen to be into on Netflix at that moment. As for the appetite loss afer surg yes. I lost close to 30lbs (I could still stand to lose a few more) Everyone I talked to said they never heard of it. As I stated before its been a little over a year and I have finally started to get my regular appetite back. Some people can bounce right back but from the stories I have read thats not the norm. Be patient with your body and it may take some time.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Do either of you have sinus issues? COuld the first thing in the AM nausea be PND related as a result? I have that issue and have to have some toast or something along those lines with a cup of tea to quell it.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
(female)

yes as a matter of fact I do have sinus issues. Most stem from smoking-I know I know-but its always stopped up or running. I never put that together. "feathers" how about you?

Reply Reply