It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
(male)

bigdiesel717 HB User
Question

Ok so I was diagnosed with gall stones back in May. Well the doctor told me it wasn't something I neccessarily had to get taken care of that night so I didn't. So it's 6 months later and my stomach is starting to hurt. It's not like the night when I was first diagnosed but I can tell it's because of the stones. So anyways I'm going to set up having my gallbladder removed and I was just curious to know how they do it and what this means for my future diet. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by bigdiesel717; 11-19-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Question

They do it laproscopically - 3-4 small incisions, one at the belly button, one mid stomach right above it, one just at the bottom of the sternum and maybe one more to the side. I only had 3 but I'm small. They pull it out at the belly button. The holes just take one stitch each to close. It only took 40 minutes from the time they started putting me under till I woke up in recovery. I jogged 2 miles a week late (at age 59). Eat no or low fat from now until 3 weeks after surgery. Then slowly start adding it back into your diet. You'll be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
(male)

bigdiesel717 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I've just never had anything done surgically so I was curious. I'm changing my diet for the most part post surgery but I just wasn't sure about food restrictions because I will want to indulge in the occassional pizza/tacos/burgers etc.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
(male)

sunnytrail75 HB User

bigdiesel, I just had mine removed yesterday. It was quick. Make sure you find a good surgeon. My surgeon is a very good one. He was recommended to me by my GI doctor. Overall this procedure is pretty simple and standard one. Don't worry too much. You will be fine.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
(male)

bigdiesel717 HB User

Ah nice. 1 question. How long did you have to stay in the hospital after the procedure?

Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I got there at 5 AM and was home in my bed by 10 AM. They run you off as soon as you can urinate and keep some crackers and coke/7 up/whatever down.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
(male)

sunnytrail75 HB User

I arrived in hospital at 11:30 AM. Finished some paperwork. They started the procedure at around 1:30 PM. Procedure lasts less than 40 minutes. They sent me to observation room after surgery. I woke up at ~3:30 PM. They gave me some water to drink and allow me to go home at 4:30. Overall, it is a very smooth procedure.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
(male)

bigdiesel717 HB User

So I had my surgery Friday. Doctor said my bladder was full of stones. I ended up having to stay the night because of my sleep apnea. Well I haven't moved my bowls since before surgery. I'm hoping it's just something to do with the percocet making me constipated. I also have some crazy joint pain going on and I'm not sure why.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
(male)

bigdiesel717 HB User

I had the joint pain before the surgery but it went up a notch since I left the hospital bed. I don't get it.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
(male)

bigdiesel717 HB User

Oh and tonight when I went to take a deep breath my right shoulder hurts. I'm at a loss as to what is going on with me. The doctors only prescribed me percocet 5s and they just aren't doing the job.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Don't worry about the constipation. It will take care of itself though you could try a stool softener. (and it may be painful in your abdomen to try to go when your system isn't ready). The shoulder pain is from the gas they inflated you with. It will take a while to dissipate. That's normal. Try to walk as much as possible as that will help. And the joint pain is probably from not moving very much since the surgery.

Reply Reply