It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

wendya2J HB User
Surgery on 11/30 - Im scared!

Hi Everyone!

I've never had any surgery or other medical procedures before!! This started for me in august, but if I think back, maybe an attack or so over the winter months! I went through all the reflux stuff - endoscopy, swallow study, CT scan, HIDA scan(8%), ultrasound....blah blah blah....finally when I wasnt totally getting relief from the reflux meds, the Dr said time to go see the surgeon and see what he says about the HIDA results. He said it was a no brainer and that with the sludge they found in my GB it should come out....so here we are.....5 days before the surgery!! Im having a LOT of nausea (they gave me an Rx that I can only take at night because it makes me sleepy), and suddenly alot of loose stools after I eat. THe pain has increased over the past 2 weeks as well, mainly in my back, side and shoulder area.

I know everyone says this is an easy surgery etc etc, but I am still very anxious about the whole thing, and because of what the past few months has been like, Im so worried that this might not be the answer either!!! UGH!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent my nervous energy!! BUt if anyone could/would take the time to go step by step with me through the process I'll go through on Friday, I would be soooo happy to listen!!!!

Old 11-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Surgery on 11/30 - Im scared!

First of all, quit stressing! This will be simple. Next, eat no/low fat as much as possible until 2-3 weeks after the surgery. That will help with the pain between now and then.

As for day of, all surgeons are different but basically you will check in at the surgery center at your assigned time. They will soon take you back and prep you. They will ask a bunch of questions to make sure you and they are on the same page. They will then have you dress in a hospital gown and start your IV. They will huddle around you do all sorts of things and drive you nuts! Just part of the procedure to make double sure everything is going correctly. After a while they will move you to a pre op area and maybe even give you a sedative in the IV.

After a while, you will go to the operating room where they will move you on the surgical table and put you to sleep. You will awake about 40 minutes later in the recovery room. You may be dry mouthed, a little groggy. Once you come to a good bit, they will move you back to a room. Once you can drink some soda, maybe eat a cracker, use the bathroom, you'll be discharged. I was in at 5 AM and home in my bed at 10 AM.

That day just drink ginger ale, eat some crackers, jello, etc and take your pain meds. Second day will be better. I was in great shape at the time and jogged 2 miles a week later. Not that everyone can do that but just tossing that out.

It was a little difficult to get in and out of bed. I had to sort of crawl in front ways and stay on my side to sort of roll out. Hard to explain but you'll be sore. I had 3 incisions/holes. There was only 1 suture to remove. Rest were dissolving.

Let me know what other questions you may have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
(female)

aflavin HB User

Just as Titchou has stated: don't stress yourself out over this. Yes it is a major surgery. I was in your same position about 6 months ago when I had mine taken out and it too was my first surgery ever (if you're not counting teeth). It is very wise that leading up to the surgery that you start eating very light meals that are low in fat and continue it for several weeks after the surgery. Everyone is different when it comes down to recovery and starting to feel normal again. But, believe me, you will feel so much better after the surgery because the pain will go away.
I did opt to stay in the hospital for the night, but you may not feel like doing it if you are given the option to go home. When trying to get out of bed or off the sofa, roll on your left side if possible and use your arms to pull yourself up into a sitting position with your feet on the floor. It takes some of the pressure off your stomach area, but it will still be sore.
Don't be surprised if the loose stools continue for a while afterwards (everyone is different). Your body will adjust overtime and find its own rythm. One thing that may help while you are healing, is when you take a shower have it on a luke-warm temperature and a fine spray. Let that hit where you had surgery and it will help relax the muscles and later on if you have stitches, relieves the itch.
I hope that your surgery goes great and that you recover fast. It will be an adjustment, but it will be for the good and you'll feel better than ever after you've completely healed.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Thank you so much for the input friends. I havent been eating much of anything for several months now, so am a bit scared of food in general knowing how rotten it made me feel, you know? Has anyone ever seen a nutritionist afterwards? I have lost about 70lbs and certainly dont want to gain it back!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
(female)

aflavin HB User

I understand on the feeling of not wanting to eat. The main thing is, go slow after the surgery, but after about a month it is considered 'safe' to introduce heavy foods to your diet and start testing what your body can and can't handle. You will have to experiment with yourself over what you can do, but a wise word of advise... DON'T go by what other people say on foods that they can or can't handle. I drove myself crazy reading other posts about people saying that they could not eat anything afterwards, and it made me think that I could not do it either. (Though I will say: avoid fried foods. I think that is universal for most of the people after the gallbladder has been taken out.)
I understand on the losing the weight. I have lost over 40 pounds since the surgery. I have not gone to a nutritionist, but my doctor was the one to tell me at what weight/BMI I need to keep. Everyone is different after the surgery and hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones to not gain back all the weight, but it all depends on your eating and drinking in the future.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
(female)

jorama HB User

Please let us know how you are doing after your surgery!!! Been thinking of you!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorama View Post
Please let us know how you are doing after your surgery!!! Been thinking of you!
Hey guys!! Well, its over and Im home. Spent 1 night, and almost 2 but convinced them that I was ready to go home. My asthma kicked up alot as I think Im fighting a cold so they were concerned about that. The first time I had pain and told them it was around my chest area they freaked out and gave me an EKG and took bloodwork, lol....but that goodness it wasnt my heart - asthma. So I have 4 little incisions and some nice portraits of my gallbladder which looked awful!!! EWWWWW so glad they took it out. It was all discolored and filled with black gunk and teensy stones. and the duct looked all nasty!!! So far, its totally hard to tell, but I have not felt that shoulderblade/rib pain that I have had for the past few months!!! YAY!!! Still afraid to eat, but have had some chicken noodle soup! It was so funny in the hospital, for breakfast they brought me eggs, french toast and ham for breakfast - WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?? and for lunch it was mac a nd cheese with stewed tomatoes!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? lol...but I ate some applesauce and gotto go home. If anyone would like to talk more detail, I'd be so happy to chat with you...It is a real surgery with real pain, but compaired to what you are dealing with , you can do this surgery!!!!! Thanks for your support! I have 2 weeks to get myself back in order to get back to work!!!!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
(female)

tearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB User

Wendy, I am glad things went well for you. Kind of surprised that you stayed overnight. I had my gallbladder out the same day surgery at 11:30 and was home by 3:00. I go back to work on Monday and am traveling for work on Wed. all approved by my surgeon and PCP. You are right it is real surgery and there is real pain but it wasn't my first surgery so maybe fo me that is the difference I sort of knew what to expect.

So far eating is going well for me hope it is for you, haven't tried anything crazy had chicken & noodles over mashed potatoes yesterday and that was enough to fill me up for the entire day. My greatest thrill is that the gut wrenching pain in the rib area is gone. I got up this morning and took my thyroid meds and there was no pain 5 min. later. I haven't seen the pictures I probably will at my follow-up but I know how you feel and I am so glad to be pain free (I am down to just ibuprofen for pain mgt) that I know that this was the best decision I could have made.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsnfears View Post
Wendy, I am glad things went well for you. Kind of surprised that you stayed overnight. I had my gallbladder out the same day surgery at 11:30 and was home by 3:00. I go back to work on Monday and am traveling for work on Wed. all approved by my surgeon and PCP. You are right it is real surgery and there is real pain but it wasn't my first surgery so maybe fo me that is the difference I sort of knew what to expect.

So far eating is going well for me hope it is for you, haven't tried anything crazy had chicken & noodles over mashed potatoes yesterday and that was enough to fill me up for the entire day. My greatest thrill is that the gut wrenching pain in the rib area is gone. I got up this morning and took my thyroid meds and there was no pain 5 min. later. I haven't seen the pictures I probably will at my follow-up but I know how you feel and I am so glad to be pain free (I am down to just ibuprofen for pain mgt) that I know that this was the best decision I could have made.
I spent over 3 hours in recovery due to my asthma, nausea and then I was having some kind of reaction to the pain medicine I think - they told me I was scratching like crazy!! So, they kept me and I was glad as I had the reaction 2 more times plus an asthma attack. Fun times!!! I think its my job description that got me a nice vacation - I work as a therapist at a childrens hospital and have to lift and move kids (big ones too) and eqipment all the time - I guess they dont want ya back until you can fully do your job - which is okay with me- I have tons of sick time! What do they do at the follow up? just make sure your steristrips came off? they told me I had to see my primary care doc too ???? oh well, just glad to close this unpleasant 4 months of my life!!! Now I want to go on a vacation!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
(female)

jorama HB User

I am glad your surgery went well. I go for my surgical consultation on Wednesday and I am scared out of my mind. I just wish this nightmare was over with already. Keep us posted on your progress! I hope you are feeling better each day.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorama View Post
I am glad your surgery went well. I go for my surgical consultation on Wednesday and I am scared out of my mind. I just wish this nightmare was over with already. Keep us posted on your progress! I hope you are feeling better each day.
Please please please - feel free to ask any questions at all!!! I would be happy to answer them - as would anyone else here!!! I hope they can give you a clear answer and get your surgery scheduled very quickly so you can be out of your misery!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
(female)

tearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendya2J View Post
What do they do at the follow up? just make sure your steristrips came off? they told me I had to see my primary care doc too ????
Not to sure what they do at the follow up, in my case it won't be removing the steristrips as they didn't use any. I am allergic to adhesive so they just used the "glue" needless to say I am being very careful in how I move so as not to pull anything apart. I think the follow up is probably just to make sure that you don't have any questions or any residual pain etc.

I am glad you are doing so well I can't believe how good I feel after this I have to say I am completely amazed and thrilled.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I went one week after the surgery for a followup. I had one suture that wasn't a disolving one so they removed it and that was all. They released me then. As for the steri strips, I was told to shower the day after surgery and remove them.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #14
(female)

wendya2J HB User

I know, right? My aches are almost all gone today!! Hey, how has your stomach/bowels been????

Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
(female)

My stomach has been good but the bowels well loose is an understatement. I am waiting for things to get better and I know they will. To be honest I can live with things the way they are now because compared to the way I felt this is great by comparison.

Reply Reply