It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
(female)

Lilyboo HB User
Pregnant With Gallstone. A Few Questions.

Hello! Over the past year I've had several extremely painful gallbladder attacks. I was too scared to do anything about them, so I dealt with the horrific pain and vomiting until the attacks passed. I am currently in my 3rd trimester of pregnancy, and I was recently admitted to the hospital for my worst gallbladder attack yet (I wasn't certain that the problem was my gallbladder until I was admitted to the hospital, and they found a stone lodged in the neck of the gallbladder).

Because I am pregnant, they have decided not to remove my gallbladder until at least 6 weeks after I give birth. I seem to get a gallbladder attack about once every two months. I live in fear of these attacks because they are honestly worse than giving birth.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions. My first questions is: Since I can't have my gallbladder removed until about 3.5-4 months from now, does anyone have any thoughts on anything I can do to decrease my chances of having another attack (like are there any foods to avoid, food to increase, etc.)?

My second question is: I was prescribed Percocet at the hospital to take home with me in case I have another gallbladder attack. I'm so afraid that I'm going to have another attack before they can remove my gallbladder, so I'm wondering if Percocet would alleviate the pain in the event that I have another gallbladder attack?

Thanks in advance for any info. I can't wait until I can have my gallbladder removed so I don't have to live in fear of these horribly painful gallstone attacks. Thanks again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
Re: Pregnant With Gallstone. A Few Questions.

As far using diet to control gallbladder pain, the best route is to eat a very low fat diet. The primary reason that your gallbladder contracts (which is usually what causes the pain), is that there is fat in your digestive system. The purpose of the bile that is squeezed out of the gallbladder is to help break down fat.

If you are not going to breast feed there is a drug called Ursodiol/Actigall that can help by dissolving stones, which could lessen your pain. It would help as a short term bridge until your surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to Collector167 For This Useful Post:
Lilyboo (12-02-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

Lilyboo HB User

Thank you for the info! I think I'm going to have to try to stay on a very low fat diet. I do plan to breastfeed, so I don't think I'll be able to take the medication you mentioned. I should be able to get this gallbladder out around 6 weeks after I give birth. However, I have a feeling that I'll have at least one more gallstone attack before I get it removed, and that terrifies me.

They prescribed Percocet for me to take if I have another attack, and I'm still wondering if anyone knows if Percocet would take away the pain if I have another gallstone attack? I just don't know if I can handle the pain of yet another gallstone attack, so I'm hoping that the Percocet they prescribed will be able to take away the pain if I have another attack.

Thanks again for the info! My heart goes out to anyone suffering from gallbladder attacks etc. It's such a painful and scary experience to have gallstones and gallbladder attacks.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
(female)

Lilyboo HB User

EDIT: Sorry, double post.

Last edited by Lilyboo; 11-30-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Double Post

Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If percocet has worked for you before with other pain, it should handle this. It doesn't do much for me but everyone is different.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Lilyboo (12-02-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
(female)

curiosmom HB User

i'm 13 weeks now and have had 7 severe attacks since finding out i was pregnant. up until then, i would get them every 4 weeks- 2 months.

i've been doing the low-fat diet route. it has helped me to avoid going to the ER but i still have the pain, gas, nausea, etc...

i was prescribed norco (750/325). it doesn't help me when the pain is severe. in fact, i am having an attack now. i imagine that it is helping to lessen the pain, but i still have the sharp stabbing pain that comes in waves. if i wasn't working from home right now, i might consider going in. they have also given me phenergen & zofran for nausea. it's keeping me from vomiting right now but i still feel like i could puke. i think the nausea meds are taking the edge off.

i am waiting for 2nd & 3rd opinions. my OB feels as though the risks of continuing on like this are more than the risks of surgery. i've lost over 25 lbs in 8 weeks & am miserable. the challenge is finding a dr willing to operate during pregnancy. the data supports the safety when considering the potential complications. the tricky part is finding a dr who is up-to-date on their research.

good luck, you are so close to delivery!

Last edited by curiosmom; 12-01-2012 at 12:46 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to curiosmom For This Useful Post:
Lilyboo (12-02-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

That's a tough one. It's hard to do and you want someone with expertise.....

Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
(female)

Lilyboo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
If percocet has worked for you before with other pain, it should handle this. It doesn't do much for me but everyone is different.
Thank you for the info! I have never taken Percocet or any other pain medication for my gallbladder attacks, so I guess that's why I was wondering if the Percocet I was prescribed will alleviate the pain if I do have another attack before I can have my gallbladder removed. It sounds like Percocet doesn't do much to alleviate your pain, and I guess that's my concern. I'm worried that it won't relieve my pain either if I have another attack, so I live in constant fear of having another attack. Knowing that the pain medication they prescribed may not do anything to relieve the pain scares me because I was hoping that if I do have another attack, the Percocet would take the pain away.

I am due to give birth in approximately 2 months, but if baby comes a little early, it could be more like 1.5 months. I typically have an attack once every 2 to 2.5 months, and they won't remove my gallbladder until around 6 weeks after I give birth, so i'm almost certain I will have another attack before I can have my gallbladder removed. I've been eating extremely healthy, so I'm praying that I can get my gallbladder removed before I have another attack. I honestly think I'd rather give birth without an epidural a million times than deal with one more extremely painful gallbladder attack. Anyway, thanks for the info about the Percocet!

Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
(female)

Lilyboo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosmom View Post
i'm 13 weeks now and have had 7 severe attacks since finding out i was pregnant. up until then, i would get them every 4 weeks- 2 months.

i've been doing the low-fat diet route. it has helped me to avoid going to the ER but i still have the pain, gas, nausea, etc...

i was prescribed norco (750/325). it doesn't help me when the pain is severe. in fact, i am having an attack now. i imagine that it is helping to lessen the pain, but i still have the sharp stabbing pain that comes in waves. if i wasn't working from home right now, i might consider going in. they have also given me phenergen & zofran for nausea. it's keeping me from vomiting right now but i still feel like i could puke. i think the nausea meds are taking the edge off.

i am waiting for 2nd & 3rd opinions. my OB feels as though the risks of continuing on like this are more than the risks of surgery. i've lost over 25 lbs in 8 weeks & am miserable. the challenge is finding a dr willing to operate during pregnancy. the data supports the safety when considering the potential complications. the tricky part is finding a dr who is up-to-date on their research.

good luck, you are so close to delivery!
Thanks for the info curiosmom! I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through. My attacks started around 1 year ago, and I get an attack about once every 8-10 weeks. I think I've had 3 attacks since I got pregnant, but my most recent attack was so painful, lasted for so long, and caused me to vomit so much that I finally decided to go to the hospital.

My heart goes out to you because I know how painful the attacks are, and I'm sure you worry about your baby like I do whenever you're having an attack. We have to worry about our babies in addition to dealing with the horrifying pain and vomiting that occurs during an attack. I am fortunate in that I will be giving birth in about 2 months, or maybe 1.5 months if baby comes a little early. I recall the surgeon in the hospital telling me that they really prefer to wait until a woman gives birth before removing her gallbladder, but she did say sometimes it becomes necessary to remove the gallbladder while pregnant. I'm so far along that I can wait to have mine removed, but I don't know what I would do if I was in your situation. I guess that's something that you and your doctor will have to figure out together.

Thanks for the info on the pain medication. A big fear of mine was that pain medication wouldn't do anything to relieve the pain from a gallbladder attack, and so far it sounds like pain medication doesn't really alleviate the pain from an attack. I guess I can only hope and pray that I don't have another attack before I can have my gallbladder removed, but I'm pretty certain that I'll have at least one more attack before it gets removed, and that terrifies me.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and please keep us posted. I truly hope the rest of your pregnancy will be healthy, happy, and pain free! Best of luck to you!

Reply Reply