It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
(female)

Lsmisserable HB User
Gallbladder removed, miserable post op

I guess I'm here to see if anyone can relate to my ill feelings . I am first off a big worrier, I always think what symptoms I have mean the worst ! I had my gallbladder out 5 days ago , I am short of breath and have heartburn and a strange feeling in my throat like an air pocket idk even how to explain it , have a hard time with drinking and eating as I feel full to the bottom of my throat but then I get an acidy nausea feeling if I don't eat anything very sour stomach ache. I'm just really feeling miserable all over , I hope and pray this will pass , I had an infected gallbladder with 6. Stones , I called in to talk to dr about acid controller and asked a few other questions , I think they seem like they have never had someone with any troubles before . I have been taking generics Prilosec for a couple of days but no change , I do take an Ativan to calm my nerves when I am home alone and start to totally worry endlessly . My family must all think I'm nuts , I feel bad for being this way .. I know it hasn't been very long since the surgery I guess I'm just feeling overwhelmed and a bit depressed . I just want to feel normal , as does everyone I'm sure .. I'm trying to keep walking and just not to think about every little symptom all the time , hurts to breath in but the strong shoulder pain is better , the gas they use made a rotton pain in my shoulder and side of neck , well anyone else that dealt with a crappy time with gallbladder ? That can relate ? I could go on about every little thing but I have complained enough and will spare you the rest

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Gallbladder removed , miserable post op

Best thing for it all is to eat low fat and move as much as possible. It just takes time for some people to get back to normal. Not everyone can jog 2 miles a week after they had theirs out like I did.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

This sound like when I had my appendix removed a few years a go. You have gas trapped inside causing pain it all rises to the top like the shoulders chest and coller bones. As for acid problems I suggest two Zantac in place of the PPI followed after every meal with a swig of Gaviscon and 10 mins before you eat DGL chews lastly probiotic daily will help keep you regular especially if your taking pain meds. Good luck things will get better it will just take time and a but of suffering

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretch1one For This Useful Post:
Lsmisserable (12-04-2012), noevr (02-22-2013)
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Lightbulb Re: Gallbladder removed , miserable post op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch1one View Post
This sound like when I had my appendix removed a few years a go. You have gas trapped inside causing pain it all rises to the top like the shoulders chest and coller bones. As for acid problems I suggest two Zantac in place of the PPI followed after every meal with a swig of Gaviscon and 10 mins before you eat DGL chews lastly probiotic daily will help keep you regular especially if your taking pain meds. Good luck things will get better it will just take time and a but of suffering
I forgot take some gas X type pills for the gas pain they really help also once your over the hump in a few weeks it will be ok

Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsmisserable View Post
I guess I'm here to see if anyone can relate to my ill feelings . I am first off a big worrier, I always think what symptoms I have mean the worst ! I had my gallbladder out 5 days ago , I am short of breath and have heartburn and a strange feeling in my throat like an air pocket idk even how to explain it , have a hard time with drinking and eating as I feel full to the bottom of my throat but then I get an acidy nausea feeling if I don't eat anything very sour stomach ache. I'm just really feeling miserable all over , I hope and pray this will pass , I had an infected gallbladder with 6. Stones , I called in to talk to dr about acid controller and asked a few other questions , I think they seem like they have never had someone with any troubles before . I have been taking generics Prilosec for a couple of days but no change , I do take an Ativan to calm my nerves when I am home alone and start to totally worry endlessly . My family must all think I'm nuts , I feel bad for being this way .. I know it hasn't been very long since the surgery I guess I'm just feeling overwhelmed and a bit depressed . I just want to feel normal , as does everyone I'm sure .. I'm trying to keep walking and just not to think about every little symptom all the time , hurts to breath in but the strong shoulder pain is better , the gas they use made a rotton pain in my shoulder and side of neck , well anyone else that dealt with a crappy time with gallbladder ? That can relate ? I could go on about every little thing but I have complained enough and will spare you the rest
Awwww, I feel soooo badly for you!!! I had my surgery on Friday and have been battling nausea ever since. Now I was doing the reflux regement prior to them saying it was my GB, so am still on that. But today, I tried to eat a bit more to advance my diet of toast, lol, and I have a heartburn feeling right in the center of my chest, and that nauseated feeling too. Im hoping we are just on the road to recovery. For the past 4 months as they figured out my GB problem, my nutrition has been awful awful awful. I lost 70 lbs and was expecting when my GB came out I would have a ton of energy. Not yet, but Im still hoping!! I have followup with my GP on Monday. I've also been running a 99-100 fever, so am wondering if that is making me feel a little iffy??? Im here for ya if you need to talk more!!!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
(female)

Lsmisserable HB User

Oh gosh your new into this too !! Yes I relate to the nausea , I wake up in the night and just feel pukey, even more so than during the day . I got out and walked around the block today , doing some light house work , and trying to keep my mind busy so I stop worrying about myself . Eating kinda makes me scared , I don't want to get sick . And you lost 70lbs oh gosh you must have been feeling really crummy before .. I was just always having a cramp in my side , went on for a couple months . I would like to drop some lbs but don't want to be sick to do it . Does your side were your gallbladder was bother you at all , like crampy ?? My new thing is a pounding headache , wake up with it in the night too , idkaybe from not eating as much as I am used to . It was so depressing cause I had talked to many ppl before my surgery and a lot of them were like your gunna feel great when it's over and it's only a day or two and you will be ready to go .. Makes me feel like a looser that I'm like a baby it seems . I don't go back to dr till the 18th , so we will see . Oh did you get that pain from the gas at all ? Mine got better but still have it when I breath deep , thanks for chatting and I hope your going to heal fast !

Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
(female)

wendya2J HB User
Re: Gallbladder removed, miserable post op

Im hoping the pain and buring Im feeling tonight is that gas? When I came out of anesthesia I told them my chest hurt - could have been the gas? But they did an EKG (of course) and then gave me my asthma medicine and it went away. I really feel bad since dinner tonight. UGH!!!! I dont even know what to tell the Dr on Monday!!!!! I mean I saw pictures and my gallbladder was an awful color and the duct was all ulcerated and stuff and when they cut it open all the black sludge and a few little gallstones came out. I had the pain on my right side terribly the 2 weeks presurgery, but I woke up with it gone. Now its shoulder blade pain on my left side and burning in the center of my chest. hopefully its the gas and it will work its way out tonight!!!!!

You feeling any better tonight? I might tackle the fridge tomorrow and maybe my bedroom closet - we will see!! haha!!!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
(female)

Lsmisserable HB User

My stomach was really sore / sour feeling , had chicken noodle soup , home made good stuff and a few crackers sipped some ginger ale . Stomach feels better but that dang pain I have goes up the back of my shoulder into the side of my neck with every breath , grrrr sick of that !! They did warn me about that gas pain but I guess I thought it would go away sooner . I had pressure feeling in the middle of my chest and my back muscles feel sore . I think we both will be much happier when the chest shoulder junk leaves us . Are you the type that worries much about what it is for sure ( the pain ) ? I am rediculios about that stuff , just hate that I am that way ! It's good you go back to dr soon just at least for some reassurance , my dr doesn't se to understand how that works I had my husband kind of pounding gently ... On my back to see if some of the gas would move out , that pain even hurts when I burp ! How stupid is that ! But he tapped a little to low on my side on my back and holly cats that didn't feel good uff da ! Have you tried heating up something and using that on your chest / gas pains ?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
(female)

wendya2J HB User

oooohhhhh yes! I am a worrier. In fact, I have another appt soon with someone about anxiety. Its really starting to rule my life. In the past year, we have had so many crazy and bad things happen from deaths, to destruction of our small beach home due to Sandy to being in a car accident and totalling our car to my cousin being diagnosed with esophogeal cancer to all this junk with me. When thinking back, Im not sure what may have been anxiety attacks or gallbladder attacks!!! I just want to be my self again!!!

I have been using ice and heat for relief. Chicken noodle soup was good the first night, but didnt sit well the 2nd, so Im done with that!! lol...Im still wondering about all the reflux stuff too - so who the heck knows.

But what should I tell the Dr on Monday if Im still not eating anything and have discomfort????????

Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
(female)

Lsmisserable HB User

tell him exactly that , tell him how food sits with you and your concern with the chest discomfort .I am almost sure they will say give it time, which is soooo hard to do when all you want is to feel good and not worry. Gosh you sound like my life with all of the stuff that has happend around you, seriously it is just the same here. I am in Minnesota, what state are you from? I am ummmm... 47 years old , jeeze did I say that , wow I don't think of myself as that ! Well just try to write down all of the things that you would like answers about, write it as soon as you have a concern so you don't forget about it the day your there and then go back home and wish you had remembered. Have you been going to the bathroom/problems ? I have read other posts and some ppl are running like crazy, I am total opposite. Just another complaint from me !!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
(female)

wendya2J HB User

I am 44 years old and live in the Philly area - lol!!!! Well, I've had constapation for the past few months, and they gave me colace still in the hospital...then on Monday am I was loose as a goose twice, but now nothing since then - lol...but Im really not eating much at all. I am so thankful the surgeon gave me time off to heal before going back to work, I gotta work these kinks out!! I dont want to go back to work saying - well, Im not quite better, just a little - lol!!!!! Im ready to move on!!! Im guessing he will say give it time too, it just really bothers me that it feels almost exactly the same as it did 2 months ago!!!!!!! How many tests did you have to have before they thought gallbladder. I had the ultrasound, endoscopy, swallow study, CT scan, HIDA scan.....lol.....my insurance company had never even heard of me before - just thanked me for my years of donation - and now I bet the are not so happy with me!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
(female)

Lsmisserable HB User

Oh gosh for me is was one day , boom done , I went to the walkin clinic part of the hospital , told them I had a cramp in my side for a couple of months and just in general didn't feel well . They sent me to er , er sent me right to untra sound . The gal doing it said no wonder you don't feel good you have stones in there ! Went back down to er , gave me an apt date to see surgeon and 3weeks later it was surgery . I just don't understand I still have such a sore side , when I stand it's still crampy right were my gallbladder was and even a pinchy cramp lower in side too , see worry worry !!! And I have gone to the bathroom once and it was not very remarkable , I'm taking colace and drinking mirilax !!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Just some general information,ladies. When they remove your gb, they pull it from underneath your ribs all the way down to your belly button where it finally comes out. So there is a lot of bruising and rubbing internally when this is done. That's why you are sore in places away from the where the gb was located. This can take weeks to go away. Most people are just generally sore - I was. Others, more so.

As for bowel movements, you didn't eat for a day or so when you had it out and you were on narcotic pain meds. Both of these can mess with your bowels. Additionally, you probably didn't eat a lot after the surgery for several days. All of this adds to the constipation or lack of a BM. It really isn't anything to worry about. Eat low to no fat for 2-3 weeks after and then slowly add fat abck into your diet. That will make a smoother transition in BMs as well.

Walk as much as you can. That will help with the gas pains and the soreness. Avoid lifting anything over about 5 -10 pounds for 2-4 weeks, depending on your level of tolerance. If you were in really great shape before the surgery, you can do more sooner. If not so good, it will take longer. I am a regular jogger and do weight training as well. At age 59 I had mine out and jogged 2 miles a week later. I was sore, had to walk part of it but made the whole 2 miles and was back in my jogging routine from then on. Weights were a a few weeks off. And loose clothing where the incisions are will help also (had a bra issue but it was OK for the most part).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Titchou; 12-06-2012 at 08:37 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
wendya2J (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
(female)

Lsmisserable HB User

Yes , any and all info is greatly appreciated . I know I am impatient , I just want to get back my my normal . I have horses to take care of and not being able to go lift hay bales to feed them puts a lot of extra work on my husband . So getting back to feeling better is much needed ! Thanks for your advise , it helps !

Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
(female)

Lsmisserable HB User

wondering how your feeling wendya2j ? Have your gas pains left you? And is your chest feeling better? I went to the mall yesterday to pick up a couple xmas items and then to walmart... I could not wait to get home, Every step I took hurt were my gallbladder was, now this morning I have that dang cramp along my side when I walk. The nausea is better and over all I feel better though so hopefully this junk with the crampy feeling goes soon !! Just checkin in with ya , hope all is well ,

Reply Reply