It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

NHChic HB User
I feel like my GB is fine, BUT....

After having an acute Pancreatitis attack last week, doctor feels I should have it removed.

Never had a problem. Healthy weight. One AM> got horrendous pains, thought I would die, suffered for over a day, went to ER and was DX with AP. No gallstones, lots of sludge, and a dilated Pancreatic duct.

My GP has referred me to surgeon and I have a GE appt in Jan.

Im not eating much, my appetite has faded a bit. but I dont feel that bad. Just very lethargic and sometimes pains on my right side. But nothing like the suffering Im reading about, and Im very grateful.

Im 44, and Ive had 3 Abdominal surgeries since age of 14. Not sure if I would qualify for Laparoscopy....

Im just so confused.

I can see why I need to take it out. It will only take one crystal or stone to destroy my pancreas and liver, but it just seems weird as it seems that my GB is fine otherwise.

I hope Im ordered a HIDA scan so I can find out whats truly going on.

The results also stated they couldnt exclude Ischemic Colitis as a result of Pancreatitis. So, I had a lot going on. Guess Im just in shock at how fast this went.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
(female)

NHChic HB User
Re: I feel like my GB is fine, BUT....

I guess Im curious what I should do next? I see Gastro Next Tues.
Would they suggest a colonscopy to make sure that my colon wall thickening has gone down? And do you think doctor will suggest a HIDA scan?

I cant see them just saying, you had one pancreatic attack, lets take GB out. Also, would gallbladder sludge be a result of a sluggish GB or hyper?

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
(female)

NHChic HB User

I guess Im curious what I should do next? I see Gastro Next Tues.
Would they suggest a colonscopy to make sure that my colon wall thickening has gone down? And do you think doctor will suggest a HIDA scan?

I cant see them just saying, you had one pancreatic attack, lets take GB out. Also, would gallbladder sludge be a result of a sluggish GB or hyper?

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Last edited by NHChic; 12-10-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: double entry

Old 12-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I can't see it either but you do have sludge and it will turn to stones eventually. You could ask for a HIDA to determine level of function and I think that would be wise. THen you could decide. There are many other things that can cause a pancreatitis attack so I wouldn't think it's just the gb.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
(female)

NHChic HB User

Ok, thank you. I believe they feel it was a stone. Now, its probably more of a judgment call as to whether I have the GB removed.
Thanks!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
(female)

NHChic HB User

I ended up having my GB removed on Dec. 15th. Had another bout of pancreatitis. Again, they only found some sludge, no stones in any ducts. I did have cholesterosis.
Do hope it's the end of the hospital stays and IV's. What a journey.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Hope it takes care of things. Have you been sticking to the pancreatitis diet? It's pretty strict unfortunately.

Reply Reply