It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
(female)

StephanieB79 HB User
Could it be Gallbladder even with normal ultrasound?

I have been experiencing an overwhelming array of symptoms that begin in May of this year. I feel like they have been progressively getting worse. My gastro Dr began to suspect the problem could be my gallbladder so we did an ultrasound and my results were normal. I had an endoscopy done in late May which was relatively normal (small hiatal hernia and mild stomach inflammation). I take Prilosec daily which does seem to control the reflux symptoms that I was having.

My symptoms seem to be all over the place. Some will lessen or disappear and others will get worse or take their place. I am hoping someone can relate and tell me whether or not these sound like gallbladder symptoms.

Crampy pain in RUQ --- feel this throughout the day
Chills and/or hot flashes after eating --- happens sometimes within a few minutes of eating. When the chills come they are so bad that my legs shake.
Random bouts of nausea and dizziness --- sometimes shortly after eating but also seems to just randomly happen sometimes.
FATIGUE --- have been unusually fatigued for months
Sense of fullness in my chest --- usually on the left side but sometimes on the right. Makes me feel like I can't eat or take a deep breath. Sometimes this lasts for days and other times, just for a short while.
Pain in my right back, near shoulder blade
Pain near my sternum, right around the center but sometimes to the left.
Weight loss --- I have lost over 20 lbs since April and I was a normal weight to begin with.
Sometimes after eating, my heart will start to race and it seems really forceful. Tends to calm down in a few minutes.
Keep switching between constipation and diarrhea, which are things i RARELY experienced before all this started.
I've basically had pain all around my ribcage. It originated in the left side, under my ribs. I've had that gnawing feeling in there for months. Not quite a pain but uncomfortable. When the pain started showing up on the right side, my Dr suspected gallbladder.

Basically, I had an ultrasound of the RUQ which came back with normal results. I go through periods of time where I can hardly eat at all for a week or two and then it seems to get better. I have had nearly constant pain of some sort in my upper abdominal area for months. I had a CT which also did not reveal anything.

A few nights ago, I ate some chicken soup with saltines and within minutes, I had a pain my back that just keep getting worse. Then it developed into a sudden and excruciating pain that bore through my upper right chest to my back. Worst pain I've ever felt. It lasted about 15 minutes. Was kind of hard to breathe. My right shoulder hurt as well and my right arm was a little tingly/numb. Just talking was difficult.

I guess I'm just wondering if any of these symptoms sound related to GB issues even though diagnostics haven't revealed any stones or other problems. I've heard it's not uncommon for GB trouble to be hard to diagnose. Should I keep after my Dr and push for the HIDA scan? I'm just at my wits end with this because SOMETHING is wrong and we are not finding it!

Sorry if this is all jumbled up and out of order!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Could it be Gallbladder even with normal ultrasound?

Not all of it sounds like typical gallbladder issue. But a HIDA Scan would rule it out or in.
So I'd ask for it.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

I agree it is time for the HIDA scan; make sure they give the the precise ejection fraction score, not just whether you passed or failed. The most likely reason that the ultrasound failed to find stones, it that there may not be any.

You may have "sludge" in your gallbladder, which the ultrasound has a hard time detecting. Sludge are microcrystals, like small grains of sand, that will eventually become stone. So picture your gallbladder as a small sack filled with many sharp edged pieces of sand. When the gallbladder tries to contract, it is trying to squeeze down on the sand.

Some of the symptoms you mention are a little uncommon. However, I also had pain in my left ribs, and heart palpitations. I also initially got relief from Prilosec.

You're on the right path, keep pushing and if necessary fire any doctor that is not willing to work with you to resolve the issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Collector167 For This Useful Post:
StephanieB79 (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
(female)

StephanieB79 HB User

Thank you both for responding so quickly! Sometimes I feel a little crazy with this ridiculous laundry list of symptoms.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
(female)

vachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB User

I had an infected gall bladder which caused pretty similar symptoms. Ultrasound came back normal and CT scans. Finally, the HIDA scan came back at 8%, and I had my gallbladder removed.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
(female)

StephanieB79 HB User

Did you feel better afterwards?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
(female)

vachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB User

It took about three weeks after gallbladder surgery, before I really started feeling better. It actually has taken about two months for me to get back to my "normal".

Old 12-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
(female)

StephanieB79 HB User

After the ultrasound results came back normal, my Dr suggested that I follow up in three months! I left a message with her detailing some of the newer symptoms and at this point her recommendation is a colonoscopy I think I am going to wait a while and see what happens before I book this procedure. I am convinced that I'd spend another $850 and not find anything. So frustrating to KNOW something is wrong and spend so much money without getting results. I guess rule-out is a big part of the diagnostic procedure.

Reply Reply