It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
(male)

jlt1984 HB User
Unhappy Gallbladder Surgery - Tomorrow 1/10/13

Hello all,

About a week ago, I began to feel an intense bloated feeling in my right side. The episode was "severe" only for a few hours that evening, and then for about five days I could continually feel a tolerable bloated feeling in my right side. I went to PCP who referred me for an ultrasound, which revealed "multiple large shadowing gallstones, the largest of which is 1.9cm in diameter."

The pains have since lessed and I am feeling better, but I do have laproscopic GB removal scheduled for tomorrow morning and I am absolutely terrified of everything, as it is my first medical procedure. I am scared of the anesthesia (I had no idea I would be on a ventilator) more than anything, and at my pre-op I let them know how apprehensive I was about this. They then mentioned they would give me Versed prior to the procedure to "calm me." I later did research on this drug and there is so much negative information online about how it is tolerated; now I cant decide if I'm more afraid of the anesthesia or the Versed!

Can anyone provide any words of support on their experience (did they take Versed...what happened before and immediately after going to sleep...did they go home same-day and how difficult was it to move) etc.?? I know there are other threads about this, but it is somehow more comforting if it is related to your own concerns I guess?

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
(female)

debshark HB User
Re: Gallbladder Surgery - Tomorrow 1/10/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlt1984 View Post
Hello all,

About a week ago, I began to feel an intense bloated feeling in my right side. The episode was "severe" only for a few hours that evening, and then for about five days I could continually feel a tolerable bloated feeling in my right side. I went to PCP who referred me for an ultrasound, which revealed "multiple large shadowing gallstones, the largest of which is 1.9cm in diameter."

The pains have since lessed and I am feeling better, but I do have laproscopic GB removal scheduled for tomorrow morning and I am absolutely terrified of everything, as it is my first medical procedure. I am scared of the anesthesia (I had no idea I would be on a ventilator) more than anything, and at my pre-op I let them know how apprehensive I was about this. They then mentioned they would give me Versed prior to the procedure to "calm me." I later did research on this drug and there is so much negative information online about how it is tolerated; now I cant decide if I'm more afraid of the anesthesia or the Versed!

Can anyone provide any words of support on their experience (did they take Versed...what happened before and immediately after going to sleep...did they go home same-day and how difficult was it to move) etc.?? I know there are other threads about this, but it is somehow more comforting if it is related to your own concerns I guess?

Thanks!
My daughter had her gallbladder removed at 24. I was with her. She did just fine. Take the Versed. It just makes you have that "I don't care" feeling. The procedure went well. I was shown before and after photos by the surgeon and it def needed to come out. She's 26 now and doing fine. You'll be ok.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

They gave me valium - in my IV - and I didn't give a flip about much of anything. The versed is fine too. They don't give you much anyway because you aren't going to be out long. I don't even remember anything once they moved me from the gurney to the surgery table. they hooked something else into my IV and I was out. 40 minutes later I woke up in recovery feeling great - no pain in my side! They'll send you back to a room once you're pretty much awake and then once you can keep down some Coke or 7 Up, a cracker or two and urinate for them, you'll go home. I got to the hospital at 5 AM and was home in my bed by 10 AM. Slept the rest of the day pretty much. Took a shower the next morning. Felt great. Went to work the next day for 1/2 day and then was back full time after that and jogged 2 miles a week after having mine out. An elderly friend had walked on his treadmill the day after having his out! I couldn't quite make that.

But seriously, this is one of the easiest procedures you'll ever have. Be sure to eat no fat for 2-3 weeks after. The pain meds will make you constipated so don't get in an uproar over that. It's normal. Just be wise in what you eat and do.

Oh and you never even know about the ventilator...in fact, I'm not sure I was even on one.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
(male)

jlt1984 HB User

debshark and Titchou, I really appreciate your quick responses. I've been second guessing the need for this procedure since I have been feeling better the past few days and low and behold, I'm starting to feel the "quivers" in my side again this morning and a little bit of a bloated feeling. I guess that's my sign that I do in fact need to proceed...lol. Thanks again!

Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Keep us posted and good healing!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
(female)

jorama HB User

Just to let you know I had my gallbladder out on Monday. I too was petrified. The procedure took an hour. As soon as you can urinate they will send you home. Don't worry about the meds they give you before the procedure they will be your best friend! Good luck and all the best! Keep us posted!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
(male)

jlt1984 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorama View Post
Just to let you know I had my gallbladder out on Monday. I too was petrified. The procedure took an hour. As soon as you can urinate they will send you home. Don't worry about the meds they give you before the procedure they will be your best friend! Good luck and all the best! Keep us posted!
Thank you for your response....how are you doing now? Were you moving around much on Monday/Tuesday?

Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
(female)

jorama HB User

I have been moving around. Do not stay in bed all day! I do a little stuff around the house and then rest. Sleeping is difficult for me cause I hate sleeping on my back. Ice will help with the pain and inflammation. Take your pain meds every 4 hours. They wheeled me in at 9:15 and by 10:20 I was done. Very quick surgery. All the best!

Old 01-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

One thing I found was that I had to crawl into bed front ways on my knees and then sort of fall over on my side once I got in. And I had to crawl out backwards. It's jsut what worked best for me. Didn't take anything but Aleve or tylenol after the second day.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
(male)

jlt1984 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
One thing I found was that I had to crawl into bed front ways on my knees and then sort of fall over on my side once I got in. And I had to crawl out backwards. It's jsut what worked best for me. Didn't take anything but Aleve or tylenol after the second day.
That's strange, I would think moves like that would be extremely painful to the incisions lol. Here's hoping that I wake up in a good state tomorrow....very anxious about it being switched to large incision, etc....but feeling better with these posts.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
(female)

jorama HB User

Please let us know how your doing. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

The reason that was easiest is because I could stay bent over and not use my abs. You're going to want to hunch over and I found that easier than trying to sit down and swing my legs up and into the bed. And it's rare they have to do the full cut any more. It'll most likely be lap so you'll be fine.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
(male)

jlt1984 HB User

Thanks for your support everyone! Arrived at hospital at 9 and now its 330 and im home...all went smoothly other than pain from the gas. Ill give an update later...still sleeping it off lol

Old 01-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Yes, sometimes the gas can be an issue. Youor best bet on that is to walk, walk, walk. But not till tomorrow! Rest well.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
(male)

jlt1984 HB User

Just wanted to post an update to this thread for anyone who may read it in the future from the pre-op prospective.

I had the procedure on Thursday at 11AM, and it is now Saturday 5PM. The pain from the procedure is not even close to what I feared it would be; it really is true that the recovery is fairly easy. I am easily getting up out of bed and walking, and have been since Friday. I'm still taking the Vicodin, as the belly button incision seems to be especially sore/irritated; but I can barely feel anything in the other three incisions. Although I had no appetite, I ate plain mashed potatoes on Friday evening which caused me to become extremely bloated and miserable. I actually woke up today with an appetite and a growling stomach and have had more potatoes (with no bloating) as well as a handful of Wheat Thins and grapes today with no problems so far. I don't think there could have been a more terrified pre-op patient than I was, but it really is not as bad as you fear it will be!

Reply Reply