HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Gallbladder (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/)
-   -   Gallbladder Surgery? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/935629-gallbladder-surgery.html)

kataay17 01-16-2013 08:54 PM

Gallbladder Surgery?

I've been having digestive problems for the past three years. It started as a feeling of pressure and air on my right side and turned into nausea after eating 8 months ago. My doctor FINALLY did a HIDA scan and apparently my gallbladder is functioning at a 1% ejection fraction or maybe it's functioning at 1% (whatever that means)? Besides the really bad nausea (that was almost not noticeable when I took Omeprazole) and pressure on my right side I've been OK. I was wondering if that's strange. If it's only functioning at 1% shouldn't I feel awful?

Also, I probably have to get it taken out. I'm talking to a surgeon Feb. 1. I'm only 21 and am very skinny. I have no idea how this happened. I've heard some people have terrible after-effects when the surgery is completed so I'm pretty terrified about the surgery. What have people's experiences been? I appreciate anyone's feedback!

Titchou 01-17-2013 07:24 AM

Re: Gallbladder Surgery?

Since you are very skinny it's probably because you don't have enough fat in your diet. Since it's only functioning at 1%, it is working really hard to inject the bile into your digestive system. Like when you have a sore muscle in your hand and you try to do something manual, it hurts and you don't do it very well. Same thing for the gallbladder. It's more common in women leading people to think it may have an estrogen component as well.

It's a simple procedure. They poke 3-4 holes in your abdomen (after theyinflate it with gas) and pull it out thru your belly buttom where a large scar really won't show. I had mine out 8 years ago and you can't see any of mine. The whole procedure from going under anesthesia to being wide awake in recovery was only 40 minutes. And I felt better immediately! Eat low fat from now until about 2-3 weeks after having it out so that it doesn't work so hard. At 59 I jogged two miles a week after having mine out. It's reallynot a big deal for most people.

kataay17 01-17-2013 07:33 AM

All of that information is very helpful. I've never had surgery and that's probably why I'm so apprehensive about this situation. I'll keep you updated on my progress!

charlotte890 01-22-2013 04:18 AM

[QUOTE=kataay17;5118487]I've been having digestive problems for the past three years. It started as a feeling of pressure and air on my right side and turned into nausea after eating 8 months ago. My doctor FINALLY did a HIDA scan and apparently my gallbladder is functioning at a 1% ejection fraction or maybe it's functioning at 1% (whatever that means)? Besides the really bad nausea (that was almost not noticeable when I took Omeprazole) and pressure on my right side I've been OK. I was wondering if that's strange. If it's only functioning at 1% shouldn't I feel awful?

Also, I probably have to get it taken out. I'm talking to a surgeon Feb. 1. I'm only 21 and am very skinny. I have no idea how this happened. I've heard some people have terrible after-effects when the surgery is completed so I'm pretty terrified about the surgery. What have people's experiences been? I appreciate anyone's feedback![/QUOTE]

Hello!!

your symptoms sound exactly like mine!! Obvs its horrible to feel that way, but thank god there is someone out there on identical medication and having the same feelings.

I have been booked in for an ultrasound, but do you know if they will do a HIDA too by default? As Im pretty sure it'll be low function rather than gall stones (if indeed there is a problem). I too am 21, same size and weight as you haha, very skinny
:)

When is the surgery? Congrats on getting a diagnosis!!

x

kataay17 01-22-2013 06:42 AM

Hi!

It's comforting to know someone like me has it. It's been such a frustrating process. If I were you, I would ask your doctor for the HIDA scan. I had three ultrasounds where they found nothing. It could be inflamed and that won't show up in the ultrasound.

I'm meeting a surgeon on Feb. 1 and hopefully they can take it out soon after. It really does suck when everything makes you feel sick.

Good luck and hopefully they find out what's going on!

kataay17 02-25-2013 05:06 PM

So my gallbladder surgery is next Monday and I feel like I still have a lot of questions. The fact that I've had no pain and only pressure seems odd. Classic gallbladder problems usually involve pain. I guess I'm afraid I won't feel better after the surgery because it's another problem. Does anyone ever have no pain from gallbladder issues?

cabin921 02-25-2013 06:19 PM

[QUOTE=kataay17;5138318]So my gallbladder surgery is next Monday and I feel like I still have a lot of questions. The fact that I've had no pain and only pressure seems odd. Classic gallbladder problems usually involve pain. I guess I'm afraid I won't feel better after the surgery because it's another problem. Does anyone ever have no pain from gallbladder issues?[/QUOTE]

I started out with no pain but then after a few months the pain started but has not been severe but the nausea is getting worse. I have an overactive gb 92% ejection rate on hida. Have surgery set for Thursday.

kataay17 02-25-2013 06:22 PM

Oh wow that's very overactive. Mine's functioning at 1% so I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I've been nauseas for 8 months and have felt the pressure for probably three years. I feel like at this point I should have pain. I guess everyone's different though. Good luck with your surgery!

Titchou 02-25-2013 06:25 PM

The nausea is a huge gallbladder issue symptom. The pain usually comes from stones which are spiney. When the gallbladder constricts to spew the bile, it clamps down on the spines and that's what causes the pain. At 1% and 8 months of nausea, that's a good indication of a problem gallbladder.

cabin921 02-25-2013 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=kataay17;5138361]Oh wow that's very overactive. Mine's functioning at 1% so I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I've been nauseas for 8 months and have felt the pressure for probably three years. I feel like at this point I should have pain. I guess everyone's different though. Good luck with your surgery![/QUOTE]

Thanks ! My mother had a big gallstone in hers and never had not one pain all she did was get very very sick nausea and throwing up but she said no pain . Go figure.

kataay17 03-04-2013 03:05 PM

Hello everyone! I got my gallbladder out this morning. I was wondering if anyone knew how to break up the gas they fill you with. It's incredibly painful and I'm having difficulty breathing deeply. Any helpful foods to eat or exercises that help?

cabin921 03-04-2013 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=kataay17;5141815]Hello everyone! I got my gallbladder out this morning. I was wondering if anyone knew how to break up the gas they fill you with. It's incredibly painful and I'm having difficulty breathing deeply. Any helpful foods to eat or exercises that help?[/QUOTE]

Bless your heart i know how you feel. I just had mine out Feb 28th and my shoulder pain is still with me from the gas. Walk as much as you can it will take a few days to get it all out . You might could try some gas x . I took some liquid anti acid and it helped some. I like you could not take a deep breath cause it would expand my ribs and was very painful.Today is day 4 for me and it has been much better , now i can take a deep breath without it hurting. the mornings was my worst , i guess cause i would lay down at night and it would build up.I am still passing alot of gas when i eat hoping that will get better soon. The tops of my shoulders hurt really bad from the gas the first 3 days and the top of my right shoulder is still hurting some but not bad now. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

roxybell 03-04-2013 05:39 PM

I'm 11 days post-op. I had it done on a Friday morning and had the gas/horribly uncomfortable pressure til Sunday morning. You must walk, walk, walk. It's really the only way to get rid of it. I was in tons of pain and very dizzy, but made myself get up and walk around my upstairs - back and forth in from one end of the house to the other - a couple times each day. I started with 10 minutes and by the time I could do 15 minutes, the gas was pretty much out. I was burping a lot and once I finally was able to pass gas, that helped me a LOT.

kataay17 03-04-2013 05:45 PM

Thanks guys! It's nice to know some people are in the same boat. Ive been trying to walk around but I passed out and convulsed so I'm a little hesitant ill probably try more tomorrow and drink a lot of water.

Titchou 03-04-2013 05:54 PM

Please try ginger ale instead of the water. You need some calories to keep from getting faint. Your blood sugar is probably very low. Frozen yogurt is good too.