It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
(female)

iluvmy67cuda HB User
should i get my gallbladder out?

I have alot of health problems already (I'm female, 29 years old, polycystic kidney disease and liver tumors and many other problems and very overweight 300lb) have had stomach pain for many years that they said was IBS and acid reflux. The HIDA scan they just did said ejection rate of 22% and the doctor wanted to remove my gallbladder. I don't have any stones, is just not functioning well. The hida scan caused me no pain at all. I don't want to jump into surgery unless it's totally necessary. At my weight and all my other problems it will be a very big deal and might not even stop my pain and could potentially do damage. Do i HAVE to get it out? What's the danger of keeping it? Could changing My diet help? I'm going for second opinion but i think they'll just say take it out. Could it be sphincterof oddi?

Last edited by iluvmy67cuda; 01-18-2013 at 05:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: should i get my gallbladder out?

You'd much rather it be the gallbladder than SOD, that's for sure. It's much more curable.

And you could keep it a while and go on a no fat diet. However, that's bad for your overall health and over time, it really won't make much difference. Eventually the gb will continue to get worse and could rupture. I actually know someone who passed away from a ruptured GB. It's like your appendix. You can cenrtainly live well without it. I have, my mother did and so have many of my friends.

Eat as low fat as you can from now till about 2-3 weeks after having it out. Then slowly introduce it back into your diet. You'll do just fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
(female)

iluvmy67cuda HB User

I'm just worried that the surgery could go wrong, I'm very overweight and mostly in my stomach, i would think it would be harder for them to see in there. Also my stomach has hurt badly and been so over sensitive for so long. I've had alot of surgeries but never stomach. My health is so poor,i hope my body can get through it.I'm petrified.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
(female)

hsmum HB User

(double post - sorry!)

Last edited by hsmum; 01-18-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
(female)

hsmum HB User

I've just joined the boards recently and am 48 hours out from my laparoscopic cholecystectomy. If your physician feels it's best to have your gallbladder out, then you should seriously consider it. You do not want a gallbladder attack. My post-operative pain is much less than the pain of my pre-surgery attacks.

One thing to consider: You say you have no stones, but if you have sludge in your gallbladder with tiny stones in the sludge, that has the potential to cause more problems than huge stones. The sludgy stuff doesn't always show up on ultrasound and the smaller stones are the ones that tend to get swept into the bile ducts where they can cause major complications.

You should voice all of your concerns to your physician before attempting the surgery. Tell him frankly that you're concerned about how your weight will affect surgery and recovery. Make sure you have all your questions answered to your satisfaction before proceeding.

I was terrified out of my mind before my surgery because it was my first surgery. It wasn't exactly a day at the park but it wasn't a bad experience at all and so far, none of the things I worried about have happened. Good luck and all the best!

Last edited by hsmum; 01-18-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
diet, gallbladder, obese, sphincter, surgery