It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
(male)

andym1721 HB User
Surgery on Friday, Scared... please help :(

Hi everyone,

I'm a 24-year-old graduate student (male) who was recently diagnosed with gallstones (my doctor said that it appeared that my gall bladder was full of them). I was promptly ushered to a surgeon who seemed quite eager to take it out. In a flurry of events, I'm now scheduled for the surgery on Friday morning.

I'm very anxious, because I have been reading horror stories online and don't know what to think about post-op. I have a few questions below and would greatly appreciate any responses

1) Does anyone know the percentage of people who have real, actual problems post-op???? There is so much conflicting information that I have absolutely no idea what to expect, and it seems like a lot of people don't trust their doctors.

2) Is it okay to drink alcohol after surgery? I've been reading that this is a death sentence. I really don't want to give this up.

3) Can I still exercise after and retain muscle mass?? I've read about people losing excessive amounts of weight after surgery...

And foremost...why wouldn't my doctors even BRUSH on these potential life-altering side effects??? Is it because the effects are uncommon? Or are my physicians being negligent???

Sorry if I seem a bit antsy...it just hit me that I will be going under the knife soon and realized that I don't have much information...thank you everyone for your input.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
(female)

goombay HB User
Re: Surgery on Friday, Scared...please help :(

Hi andym,
I had my gallbladder out when I was 29 and had no trouble at all. I had it done laparoscopically and was eating greasy food right after the surgery ... literally. That in hindsight probably wasn't a very good idea; however, I had no problems with it. I probably wouldn't suggest drinking right away, but I do drink and it has never bothered me. Also, my boyfriend's mother (70) just had gallbladder surgery with no problems except for pain. I don't know the actual statistics... just what I have experienced. I also definitely wasn't one who lost weight. Good luck. - goombay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had mine out 8 years ago at age 59. No problems and I know tons of people from teenagers to some in their 80's and non have had any problems. I still drink alcohol and eat whatever I want. I jogged 2 miles a week after having mine out. I still work out also. You can lead a perfectly normal life after having it out - just like losing yout appendix, tonsils, etc.

Do try to eat as little fat as possible between now and about 2-3 weeks after surgery. It will help the bile duct they leave get "online" more easily. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
(female)

hsmum HB User

Try not to worry too much. If your gallbladder needs to come out, better to have it taken care of now when it's not an emergent situation. I had my gallbladder removed a week ago and so far, so good. I've had very little pain, no diarrhea yet and just a twinge of queasiness here and there, which I expected as everything adjusts. My physician advised a very low-fat diet until I see him in followup. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
(male)

gazter HB User

good luck with the surgery, i had mine out a few weeks ago.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
(male)

MO guy HB User

andy m,
try not to worry about the gall-bladder, better if lyposcopic, i left hosp. the next day!
What i wanted to mention is have them check out your Ampula Tube for any flow restrictions ( that is how they found a mass on my pancreas ).
I was 41 at time of discovery so your never too young! Good Luck man you'll be fine!

The Following User Says Thank You to MO guy For This Useful Post:
andym1721 (01-27-2013)
Reply Reply