It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
(female)

JLCS HB User
Wondering what to do...

I am a 31 year old female and my problems started after having my son in 2009. I had what I thought was bad indigestion for a few weeks and then it went away. Skip to 2012 in the summer while pregnant with my daughter I had a severe painful attack that finally subsided after about 6 hours. I told my OB about it but nothing was ever done.

I had my daughter November 2012 and I had lost 40lbs by Christmas when I started having the pain again. January 8th I had a bacon cheeseburger and that's when all my problems started. The worst pain I have EVER felt in my life. Went to the hospital and couldn't sit still so I left (I live in Canada and our wait times are awful). I went to my family doctor, he set me up for an ultrasound and some Tylenol 3 for pain. That didn't help and with a 3 year old and a newborn at home I couldn't be out of commission for long. I decided to go back to the hospital. They gave me a shot for pain and my nausea and set up an ultrasound for the next day - multiple gallstones and a referral for surgery. Well my referral isn't until March 21st and now I'm having ANOTHER attack, I haven't been able to eat, am throwing up anything I eat, I'm nauseous and my urine is orange! From reading I know the orange pee isn't that great but I don't know what to do. I called my family doctor and told them with no phone call back. Do I call the surgeon to see if they can move my appointment up?

No one understands in my family the pain and frustration I feel with this!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Wondering what to do...

Yes, I would see if oyu can move the surgery date up, Until then, NO fat of any kind - not even good fat in olive oil and fish. Plain chicken breast, turkey breast, baked potatoes, steamed veggies, plain bread, no mayo, no eggs, nothing fried, no milk products unless fat free. And eat that way for about 2-3 weeks after surgery. Hope all works out for you.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Can you go to the Er? With an attack like that it can be very dangerous. I had a friend who almost died from ignoring one. It gets septic or something I am not sure. Call the on call surgeon maybe explain your symptoms. Best of luck let us know what happens. Cathy

Old 01-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

You might call and ask to speak with the surgeon's nurse. I was in the ER on a Saturday with a gallbladder attack and pancreatitis. The stone past while there and I was feeling much better so they released me to follow up with the surgeon on Monday. When I called, the receptionist put me off until the following week but the surgeon's nurse overheard the conversation. She pulled my ER report and called the doctor. I saw the surgeon Tuesday and had surgery first thing Thursday morning.

Another thing would be to call the family doc back and insist on blood work to check your pancreas. A stone can get stuck in the common bile duct causing problems with the pancreas. That is dangerous and usually requires hospitalization. I was just lucky my stone past in a short period of time so I avoided the hospital.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Oops, submitted twice. Haven't been on the boards for,a long time.

Last edited by maggiemoo; 01-30-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Duplicate

Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
(female)

JLCS HB User

So my eyes started turning yellow so I went to the ER last Wednesday night. They admitted me with high liver levels. Completed an ultrasound in the morning and saw no blockage but my levels went up again. Friday they completed a MRI and again saw no blockage so they were going to schedule to have my gallbladder removed on Saturday but my levels went up again on Saturday morning. They cancelled surgery and said I would be having an ERCP Monday. Still in hospital missing my 3 year old and 2 month old. They allowed me to go home Saturday night and Sunday night but had to return at 8am for the day to have my blood work done and hooked up to the IV since they were only allowing clear fluid. I went back in on Sunday morning and my levels went up again and the doctor advised that I shouldn't go home that night like they had said I could. Monday morning I went for the ERCP and the sedative and the medicine to keep my gag reflex down didn't work, so the procedure was awful. Gagging and throwing up almost the whole time. Worst time ever! No stone blocking but I had a very small duct with lots of sludge and bile built up. They cut it to open and all flowed fine. Tuesday morning my levels started going down so they did surgery to remove my gallbladder Tuesday afternoon.

I am feeling better but my urine is still dark but my eyes are returning to their proper colour. I am home and happy and recovering well.

Thank you for the advice to go into the ER. I probably would have had a bigger problem if I hadn't.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Wow! So sorry you had to go thru all that. but am glad that you got it checked out. Hope your healing is good. Keep us posted. Be sure to eat very low fot for a while. Don't shock that bile duct they left to regulate things. It's had enough of a shock.

Reply Reply