It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
(female)

Dbush006 HB User
Unhappy Post gallbladder day5

Woke this morning with pain in my back, right side. Hard to sit down, stand up, without more pain then I have had since surgery any ideas, is this normal? This is a make you cry pain. Have been able to cough with pillow assist, not today..terrible. Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User
Re: Post gallbladder day5

Was it done laparoscopy? Your pain shouldn't be so bad, maybe some gas pockets? If it was done the old school way, you will have more pain. Did they give you anything for pain? If so, take it...it will help. If the pain continues to be unbearable, contact your doctor to make sure no infection or anything else. Feel better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
(female)

azoremom HB User

I need help please. I saw you had back right pain AFTER surgery. My daughter has had a deep inner pain on the right back side for a few years and the last few months it got worse. They did a complete ultrasound on the abdominal area and the only thing they saw were polyps - which many people have. She did say some stones could be hidden and also that it looked somehow like there was a history of gall bladder problems. She is 21 and in school - FAR from home. She went today to talk to a surgeon since the first doctor advised removal - especially when it runs in the family with many of the cousins having theirs out young, also. This doctor said it is NOT the gallbladder and it is probably muscle spasms. Has anyone - you included - ever had mostly the gallbladder pain seeming to be in the right back and not so much the front? She does get nauseated sometimes, but not that often and food is definitely seeming to be a culprit. She can't determine if it is just the fatty foods. Pains are several times a week and at least twice a week with about 8 to 10 hours straight. She ALWAYS feels an annoying pain, but not that it interferes. This is all just last few months so consistent. If I can at least know if anyone else had this type of thing, I can go further in my research to help her. They said back spasms or muscle spasms and to do yoga. I have a bad back and spasms at times and they are nothing like she has ever described. Thank you.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, polyps can cause pain. She should though have a HIDA scan which will test for gb function. Below 35% or above 75% is considered non functioning. I suggest she have one.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
(female)

azoremom HB User

Thanks. Will a doctor listen to a 21 year old? That is the question. hmmm. I will tell her to ask or I can call from overseas myself and they will see how important this is. All my research showed that the polyps do not usually cause the pain.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The purpose of the gb is to spew bile into the digestive system when there is fat present to be digested. It does this by contracting. Two things can cause gallbladder pain. One, if the gb is diseased and makes contracting painful - like trying to walk with a pulled calf muscle. It's painful. This is when gb function testing is important to see if it is underactive or overactive.

Second, when any of the following are present - stones, polyps or sludge - because they impede the contraction of the gb. The most painful would be the stones because they are spiney and sqeezing down on something spiney is very painful. The others not as much.

Hope this helps you understand the work of the gb and why things hurt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
azoremom (02-16-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User

Titchou have seen you post on several gallbladder post and was wondering if you could answer this for me . I have been posting on my hyperactive gallbladder (92%) do you know if with an overactive gb if it can release bile when it is not suppose to ? I have had times when i would feel ok then all of the sudden it is like my body was putting out something that would start making me feel ill even though it had been hrs since i had eaten. Hard to explain how it feels kinda like an acid rush and i will just start feeling sick. I know it is not acid i had an upper scope done on my stomach yesterday and surgeon said stomach looked good no ulcers no inflamation no reflux. So im wondering if the overactive gb can be putting out bile when its not suppose to , when there is no food there to deal with. Thanks

Last edited by cabin921; 02-15-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Yes, that's one of the reasons that it's a problem....spewing too much bile to digest something and also releasing bile when there is nothing to digest.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User

Oh thank you so much i was starting to think i was crazy. I told my husband that is what i thought was happening but then thought it sounded like i was crazy lol. I can not find alot of info on the overactive gb, surgeon told me yesterday it is not very common an not much data on it. Thanks so much

Old 04-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
(female)

kmht HB User

Titchou, I see you are in B'ham, AL and I am in AL also, about an hour south. I am looking for a GI that has experience with hyperactive GB, preferably in B'ham. Do you know of any? I had a HIDA scan with 98% EF and replication of pain after cck. Been dealing with this for many years and husband said we need to go to B'ham, where the good doctors are. :-)

Old 04-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

My surgeon was Dr Dave Rader at St Vincent's. I didn't use a GI as had stones and my PCP told me to have it out. I asked around to some friends who had theirs out and they had used Dr Rader. So I just called up, made and appt and told my PCP to send the test results to him.

Reply Reply