It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
(male)

rizel23 HB User
Strange going's on...

Little history.

Male, Gall Bladder removed aged 23 in 2005.

Bile salt diarrhea instantly afterwards and never got any better despite doctors saying it would.

Finally found a medication that helped in 2012 "Questran" (Cholestyramine) half a teaspoon a day in juice made life as normal as i could get it and virtually stopped bile salt diarrhea.

January 2013 got the stomach flu/bug that was doing the rounds in the UK, stopped medication as no point as was not eating for 2/3 days and had constant diarrhea with the stomach flu anyhow.

Now hereís the strange part, by my own stupidity once feeling better i had a full fried English breakfast but forgot to take my Questran before, instantly i thought Iíll be off to the toilet in a few minutes, but this never happened! I was fine, so I have stayed off the Questran for a week or so now and can now eat anything without getting the bile salt diarrhea, i even had a Greggs sausage roll the other day for lunch as I knew from past experiences this would instantly send me to the toilet!

I have no idea whatís going on, any suggestions? I will be going to the doctors next week to get checked out as its very strange that since this stomach flu the side effects of my gallbladder removal have been almost cured!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Strange going's on...

More likely what happened is that your bile duct straightened out its issues while you were on the meds and you really didn't need them any more but just didn't know it. If you weren't careful about your diet for the first 2-4 weeks after your gb was removed, your problems stemmed from that. Once the bile duct (they leave it and that's what takes the place of the gb) came "online", all was well.

Just my two cents....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
(male)

rizel23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
More likely what happened is that your bile duct straightened out its issues while you were on the meds and you really didn't need them any more but just didn't know it. If you weren't careful about your diet for the first 2-4 weeks after your gb was removed, your problems stemmed from that. Once the bile duct (they leave it and that's what takes the place of the gb) came "online", all was well.

Just my two cents....
Thanks Titchou, yes i had a very small fat free diet for the first month or so after my operation, unfortunately due to a dropped gall stone in the first operation i later developed a liver abscess in 2008 and ended up with a further full open operation to correct and remove it.

I also had the bile duct widened (where it meets the stomach) done by endoscopy before my gall bladder was removed as stones were getting stuck causes 2 cases of jaundice before i eventually got the operation to have it removed

I’m just amazed that after 7 years my symptoms have gone, trust me i have tried almost every diet going and even became a fitness freak for a year, but the bile salt diahree just continued, hence looking for a medication last year.

Last edited by rizel23; 02-14-2013 at 04:12 AM.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sorry - I based my reply on the information in the original post. Your additional information would change that.

Reply Reply