It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
(male)

dimsler HB User
Re: Surgery Tomorrow, 2-22-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybell View Post
Right?! I know! That so WEIRD to have sludge with a high ejection fraction! I haven no idea, I don't understand at ALL.
All the doctors here are pressing for my gallbladder removal, my pain has been episodic, especially when I eat fatty food. I get these pretty bad attacks that last for 2-4hours in the middle of night. I wake up with night sweats. Then after a day or so life goes back to normal.

I saw the hida scan and even watched it on the screen, I watched the dye empty itself out and into my stomach.

So now I'm wondering how can my gall bladder be diseased? I wonder if I should demand another ultrasound to make sure my biliary ducts are not sludged up.

I am definitely feeling what you're going through, about the ongoing debate of gall bladder surgery.

I really hope your life returns back to normal. Please keep us posted.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
(female)

roxybell HB Userroxybell HB Userroxybell HB User

Well I'm glad you've got your surgery scheduled!

It's been 7.5 hours since my surgery and here's how I feel: I'm laying in bed feeling VERY sore. My URQ hurts, the right side of my back hurts really bad and my throat hurts really bad from the tube they put down it (I assume). It hurts to get up and go to the bathroom - just the act of walking. It hurts to take a deep breath in.

I took Tylenol 3 a few hours ago, but about 15 minutes ago I read the bottle and it says you're supposed to take two, and I only took one. So that's probably why I haven't felt any relief.

Hoping to sleep. I was up at 4am this morning (and the 2 nights prior because of pain. ironic, no?) I haven't really eaten much - maybe about 8 ounces of vegetable broth. Just not in the mood for food. Otherwise just laying here in bed trying to relax (haha. good luck with THAT, Lisa)

I will keep posting updates for others' future reference.
Lisa

The Following User Says Thank You to roxybell For This Useful Post:
cabin921 (02-22-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You should be better in a day or two. The small bowel being stuck to the gb may mean that you are sorer longer as they would have had to release that. try staying stooped over when walking for a da or so. And if you have to cough or laugh, hold a pillow to your stomach. Do take your meds - properly- and try to walk starting tomorrow as much as you can to release the gas they inflated you with. And try to eat something solid - even if just a plain potato, toast, etc.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
(female)

Well, I'm about 40 hours post surgery. Still in a lot of pain, but I think it's mostly from the gas. The incision areas themselves aren't hurting that bad.

I took a shower a few hours ago, and when I got out, I was crazy dizzy and nauseous. Totally thought I was going to pass out. I quick got dressed and came back to bed. Before I showered, I took the anti-nausea patch off that was behind my ear. Apparently that really WAS helping.

So I haven't been doing much walking around today. I did eat a piece of toast and I'm still working on the smoothie my husband made for me this morning. I'm just not that hungry.

I was REALLY hoping I'd be one of those people who felt a million times better immediately after surgery. I guess that's just not my luck.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybell View Post
Well, I'm about 40 hours post surgery. Still in a lot of pain, but I think it's mostly from the gas. The incision areas themselves aren't hurting that bad.

I took a shower a few hours ago, and when I got out, I was crazy dizzy and nauseous. Totally thought I was going to pass out. I quick got dressed and came back to bed. Before I showered, I took the anti-nausea patch off that was behind my ear. Apparently that really WAS helping.

So I haven't been doing much walking around today. I did eat a piece of toast and I'm still working on the smoothie my husband made for me this morning. I'm just not that hungry.

I was REALLY hoping I'd be one of those people who felt a million times better immediately after surgery. I guess that's just not my luck.
So sorry you are still not feeling well. When i read your post it made me think of my daughter the part about taking the shower that is the same thing she felt the day after when she took her shower. But wanted to tell you she did ok the next day.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabin921 For This Useful Post:
roxybell (02-23-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #21
(female)

Since I'm feeling so yucky, I decided to take my temp and it's right around 99.7. Is this something I should be concerned about? Now I'm freaked out that there's an infection.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #22
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Don't be reluctant to call your surgeon to tell him/her how you feel. They do want to know about a fever so they can catch an infection early. You probably don't want to wait until Monday--since you have a fever and you are feeling lousy. They have someone on call.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #23
(female)

Well, I called the 24 hour nurse line and the nurse I spoke to said that if my fever goes over 100 to call the surgeon's office and they'll page the on-call surgeon.

I just took my temp again, and it's at 99.2 now. I guess I'll keep an eye on it and if it goes over 100, call the surgeon's office.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #24
(female)

This (what I'm assuming is) gas pain is ABSOLUTELY AWFUL.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #25
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Shame on these surgeons who don't release more of the gas. I didn't have this issue at all so I can't say how it feels. If I had though, I'd have called out my surgeon on it when I went for my post surgery check up!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #26
(female)

Well, my temp did continue to go back down to normal last night. I have no idea what the spike was about. Just glad it's normal again.

48 hours post op:
My gas pains are better. I have been burping a lot since I woke out of anesthesia, but that was it. I finally started doing the other thing last night, and that has helped a lot I think. It still hurts to burp, but not as bad. And i haven't felt that strange wave or rolling sensation across my abdomen since yesterday late afternoon, so that's been a nice relief.

I tried to eat mashed potatoes last night, but I just couldn't do it with the nausea. All I had yesterday was a piece of plain toast and a smoothie. I attempted the potatoes around dinner, but only a few spoonfuls. Then I tried 2 Saltines around 11pm, and I actually threw up after that. However I was finally able to fall asleep a little while later, so that was good.

Today I woke up around 5am very nauseous again. My husband got up and made me a piece of toast and some veggie broth. I ate half the toast and a few sips of the broth. I know I need to get more food in my stomach. Ugh.

One little bit of good news is that I was just able to walk around my upstairs for 15 minutes straight without getting dizzy or holding onto walls. That's big! Hopefully the dizziness is gone for good now.

So all in all, 2 days post op and the gas pains are easing up a bit and I'm not really dizzy anymore. Nausea is still in effect big time though. I also started Metamucil because I *feel* like I need to go, but haven't. blah.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #27
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User

Don't know if you have taken any pain meds but those will make you have nausea and also make it hard to go to the bathroom. Gingerale or warm ginger tea might help with the sick stomach . So glad you are no longer dizzy as that is an awful feeling.

Last edited by cabin921; 02-24-2013 at 07:58 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabin921 For This Useful Post:
roxybell (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #28
Facilitator
(female)

Yes, ginger ale is your friend. And you have to get some fluids in you or you'll be back in the ER for dehydration. And if you haven't already, get off the pain meds. Try tylenol or advil instead. They won't bother your stomach as much nor make you constipated. And I bet the mashed potatoes had milk or butter in them...that's a no-no. A plain baked one would be better. And frozen yogurt is good too.

Last edited by Titchou; 02-24-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #29
(female)

I'm not worried about dehydration as I've been drinking a lot of water. Not as much as usual (75oz) but maybe about 48oz. And no, the potatoes did NOT have milk or butter - I had my husband make them with veggie broth.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #30
Facilitator
(female)

You need the added benefits of the ginger ale or frozen yogurt. The sugar and protein will keep your blood sugar up and help with shakiness, dizzy, nausea, etc. Plain water doesn't do any of that.

And glad he used veggie broth - though chicken might have been better as it would have had some protein.

Reply Reply