It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #31
(female)

roxybell HB Userroxybell HB Userroxybell HB User
Re: Surgery Tomorrow, 2-22-13

I'm vegan, hence the veggie broth instead of chicken broth. Also no frozen yogurt. I had my husband buy some regular dairy-free yogurt, but I was surprised how much fat was in it.

Ginger ale DOES sound like a good idea though! Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #32
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Maybe some frozen sorbets that are dairy free? There are some vegan varieties.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #33
(female)

hsmum HB User

Hi Roxy! I had my gallbladder surgery on January 16th. What you're feeling is not that uncommon. Honestly, the second and third day after the surgery can be the roughest; that's when pain levels peak and some of the good drugs from the surgery are wearing off. Also, the scopolamine patch can cause some temporary rebound nausea and dizziness; I went through that for about 48 hours.

Expect to have some ups and downs. I've had a relatively smooth recovery but it took about four weeks for me to feel completely like myself again. But here I am about six weeks out and I feel very, very good. I've had no digestive side effects at all, even with adding a little fat in here and there. Having the surgery will make you feel better, maybe just not immediately.

Good luck! Laparoscopic surgery is still surgery and even if your outside incisions look okay, your insides are still healing.

The Following User Says Thank You to hsmum For This Useful Post:
roxybell (02-24-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #34
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User

Roxybell, was wondering how you are doing now ? The closer Thursday gets the more nervous i am getting. Hope you are feeling better now.

Last edited by cabin921; 02-25-2013 at 06:13 AM.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #35
(female)

Hi Everyone!

Post Op: Day #3, 72 hours after surgery

I got to take the "dressing" off of the incision sites this morning before I showered, so what's left are the Steri Strips. Yuck. The two incisions on the top have a slight black and blue tinge around them and seem a tiny bit swollen. I guess that's to be expected since that's where the gallbladder was. Very sore still, and a bit nauseous but the nausea feels a bit better after eating some plain cream of wheat made with water. I felt hungry for the first time yesterday, so that's good. I stopped taking narcotics and am only taking Tylenol now, because I think the narcotics are what made me throw up on Saturday night. I haven't taken it since Saturday afternoon and my nausea hasn't been as bad as it was, so take that for what it's worth.

I can walk around better, but I have to be hunched over and walk slowly. But at least I'm not dizzy anymore so I don't have to hold on to anything.

It still hurts to burp, cough, laugh, etc - but I suppose that's going to take a while to feel better.

My husband goes back to work today, so today might be a challenge. We're going to have a talk with my 4 year old daughter and make sure she understands that mommy can only do so much right now. And I will have to keep reminding myself that this is temporary, that it's okay if the house is messy and I'm not cooking great meals. I know to some that might not seem hard, but I'm a "clean freak" and seeing my house not really being taken care of is driving me nuts. LOL

The following user gives a hug of support to roxybell:
cabin921 (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #36
(female)

One thing I feel I should mention, because it's really starting to concern me, is that since I woke up this morning, my face has been really itchy. Any idea what THAT is from?!

I have a call into the surgeon's office, so hopefully they call me back soon.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #37
(female)

One other thing - I've yet to have a BM. Of course I haven't eaten much, but still...

Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #38
(female)

hsmum HB User

Your digestive system needs a few days to "wake up" before it's ready to resume all its functions, but it's good you have a call in to your surgeon. Hopefully he or she can reassure you and/or see you in the office if there are any problems. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #39
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Pain meds will constipate you and you probably haven't eaten enough to have a BM!

I personally find it so odd that just about everyone gets concerned about this within a few days of surgery. And trust me, as sore as you are inside right now, you don't want to have a big BM!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #40
(female)

I actually got the BM sensation a little while after writing that post. TMI but I had to push and man, it HURT! I mean, of course it did - I just had surgery - I just didn't think I'd be sore hours later! And it was just a real little bit!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #41
Facilitator
(female)

You need to remember that your gb was up under your right rib cage. They pulled it out from under there, down past your waist and out your belly button. You are all bruised inside between those two places. Of course you are going to be sore. They didn't pull it out right where it was!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #42
(female)

Yes, I know where my gallbladder was located and that they pulled it out of my belly button. It's not like I didn't know I was going to be sore!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #43
(female)

Another thing that's going on today (apparently day #3 has lots of stuff for me!) is that for a few hours now, I've been dealing with a burning feeling in my skin to the left of the top incision. Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 02-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #44
Facilitator
(female)

Probably just healing. Incisions can sort of burn when the skin starts closing. All of mine did....

Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #45
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Roxy,
Glad you called the surgeon's office, hopefully they have called you back. Just wanted to let you know that I was checking in on you and hopefully you are feeling better.

Maggie

The Following User Says Thank You to maggiemoo For This Useful Post:
roxybell (02-25-2013)
Reply Reply