It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #46
Senior Veteran
(female)

ivy2002 HB User
Re: Surgery Tomorrow, 2-22-13

hi.

i hope you are feeling better and reading about your experience has been informative...im very nervous about the surgery..

Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #47
(female)

roxybell HB Userroxybell HB Userroxybell HB User

Post Op Day #4

Very nauseous this morning. Did anyone else feel this way 4 days after? I did drink 2 doses of metamucil last night, so maybe that's why I feel so yucky. I do have diarrhea...

Still sore. May have overdone it this morning while trying to get my house straightened up (couldn't deal with it anymore) and my daughter ready and to school.

Walking is becoming easier - still slow, just not as slow. And still hunched over, just not as much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #48
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User

So sorry you are still sick to your stomach. Are you able to eat anything ? I have had nausea for the past three days and my surgery is Thursday . I was so thinking the nausea would be gone after surgery. I have been taking a dose of liquid antacid and drinking ginger ale and that helps some , seems to make me burp and then i will start to feel some better but the nausea will not go away and if it does it comes right back.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #49
(female)

I really think the nausea has to do with the Metamucil, but of course I can't be certain.

I *HAVE* been able to eat, but not much. Up until today, I've been eating toast (with no or very little butter), Cream Of Wheat (made with water), smoothies (ice, 2 bananas, 1 apple, handful of kale) and veggie broth. For lunch today, however, I attempted some more substance. I ate a Boca burger (which is only 0.5g of fat) sandwiched between bread, for a total lunch of 2.5g of fat. I don't feel any WORSE, so I'll take that as a good sign.

I definitely overdid it earlier today. My neighbor came over at noon with her grandson after we picked my daughter up from preschool and they stayed til 2pm. By that time I could DEFINITELY tell I need to lie down and rest for a while.

I REALLY wish I would have been one of those lucky people that felt better the very next day following surgery. But this is my honest account of how my post-op is going, and hopefully it will be helpful to others.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #50
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Please just forget about your bowels. That will sort itself out and all you are doing is confusing your system. Everyone has the bloating, the constipation, the gas. In a week it will all be gone - if you start eating properly. So, just let your body do the healing on this. Go easy on raw veggies. Many people who have just gone thru gb removal have problems with roughage for a while after surgery. I did. So just be easy with that. Being vegan is definitely a complication. The vegetable proteins also cause gas and bloating so you're kind of doubling down on it. Not really sure how to direct you on that as I don't know any true vegans - most vegetarians I know will eat fish and dairy products so it's easier to get the protein in without the added "benefits" of legumes and greens!

Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #51
(female)

I'm not too concerned with my bowels, actually. I just felt like I needed to go, but couldn't get anything out. Hence the Metamucil.

And thankfully, there are PLENTY of non-animal protein sources!

Last edited by moderator2; 02-26-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #52
(female)

Okay, I wasn't going to post about this but it's been bothering me since it happened this morning.

My first "real" bowel movement post surgery was this morning (after taking the Metamucil last night). All the stools were light brown, but on one of them, there was a very strange, dark colored, about an inch long strip. I don't know what it was - a dark blood clot? just a dark strip of stool? I don't know if it's something I should be worried about.

I had a second bowel movement about an hour later, and there wasn't anything like that on any of them.

Any ideas?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #53
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Maybe the kale? when I eat a lot of leafy dark green veggies my stools are darker. Or maybe some blood from the place where the gb was stuck to the bowel?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #54
(female)

Roxybell, I have had problems all my life with using the bathroom every day . If i skip a day or two without going then when i do go sometimes the stool will be different colors , sometimes different color on one side or on end of the stool will be different color. It is probably were you havent been in a few days . Don't think it is anything for you to worry about. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #55
(female)

So since yesterday morning, I've been feeling very short of breath. I remembering noting that it was 8:30am when I was first dealing with it. Now, I have anxiety issues, so I just kind of chalked it up to that. But it persisted all day and night, and now I just awoke at 3am with it.

I'm concerned that it has to do with the surgery. And there are some very valid concerns when you Google "shortness of breath after gallbladder surgery".

I'm trying to decide if I should call the on-call nurse line and ask them, or if I should just wait til the morning and call the surgeon's office. I think if I call the on-call nurse line, it's pretty much a guaranteed "get to the ER now" kind of thing, and I'm just not sure if that's needed. UGH!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #56
(female)

Roxybell, How are you doing this morning?

Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #57
(female)

Post-Op, Day #5

Woke up feeling okay. I am able to walk around this morning barely hunched over at all! I was a tiny bit nauseous, and actually eating Cream Of Wheat really helped that. RUQ is still sore, of course. Still hurts to laugh, cough, take deep breaths, etc - but that's going to take time to heal.

I did call the surgeon's office and left a message regarding the shortness of breath I've been feeling for 24+ hours now. His nurse called back about 15 minutes ago and recommended doing breathing exercises every, single hour. Breathe in, hold it, and blow out. She said to do that 10 times, breathing normally if needed in between the deep breaths. And that coughing in between is totally normal as well. It kind of reminds me of the "4-7-8" breathing I do (Dr. Andrew Weil) when I'm anxious. The purpose is to get some good air into the bottom of my lungs since I was pretty much bed bound on Friday and Saturday and didn't give my lungs much exercise. So she said to try these breathing exercises today and see how I feel tomorrow. But if the shortness of breath persists and/or I get chest pain, they'll want me to go in for a chest x-ray and stuff to check for pneumonia and a blood clot.

I also asked her about that weird dark spot on my stool, and she didn't seem too concerned about that. Only if, like, my ENTIRE bowel movement was dark, bloody stool. And since I've had 2 bowel movement since that were normal, it was probably just something unimportant.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #58
(female)

So glad you are feeling better today , that makes me feel a little better LOL my surgery is in the morning and i am having some nervous jitters today. Hope the breathing gets better for you.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #59
(female)

cabin921 - good luck tomorrow! let us know how it goes!

The following user gives a hug of support to roxybell:
cabin921 (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #60
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybell View Post
cabin921 - good luck tomorrow! let us know how it goes!
Thank you so much . I will post as soon as i can.

Reply Reply