It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

roxybell HB Userroxybell HB Userroxybell HB User
Surgery Tomorrow, 2-22-13

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting, though I've been reading for a while now.

I saw the surgeon this morning and I'm having my gallbladder removed tomorrow morning at 7:30am - after nearly 6 months of pain, tests and tons of frustration and stress. I'm very scared and could REALLY use some support and POSITIVE experiences given.

Thanks in advance!
Lisa

Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Surgery Tomorrow, 2-22-13

You shouldn't be scared! It's a very easy procedure and you'll feel better immediately. Just be sure to stay on a fat free diet for a couple of weeks. The slowly add fat back in. You'll be fine. It take longer to to highlight your hair than to take your gb out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Bella143 (02-25-2013), roxybell (02-21-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
(female)

charlotte890 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybell View Post
Hi Everyone,

I saw the surgeon this morning and I'm having my gallbladder removed tomorrow morning at 7:30am - after nearly 6 months of pain, tests and tons of frustration and stress. I'm very scared and could REALLY use some support and POSITIVE experiences given.

Thanks in advance!
Lisa
What were your symptoms?

Did you have a hida scan?

x

Old 02-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

It really is very easy. My surgery was at 8:30 and I was home on my couch at 11:30. I was up doing things around the house the next day. You do need to be moving but balance it with rest. Take your pain meds if needed. I took some at night but it gave me a headache so I switched to over the counter pain meds.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to maggiemoo For This Useful Post:
roxybell (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
(female)

I've had pain in my URQ since the first week in September. It started off as pain and nausea, but the nausea eventually eased.

Initially, the GI (NP actually) assumed a stomach issue, so they ran blood tests (all fine) and scheduled an endoscopy. That came back fine, with the exception of minor gastritis - which was treated with carafate. I was so annoyed because I KNEW my stomach wasn't the issue, that it was most likely my gallbladder, but they wouldn't run another HIDA because I had one done 10 months early that came back "normal" (83%) in their mind. That was the 1st week in October. Pain persisted, but I honestly don't even remember what was done about it during Oct-Dec. I know they wanted me to try amitriptyline but I could never get myself to take it. By December I was so frustrated and finally told them that I was demanding an ultrasound of my gallbladder, since they wouldn't redo the HIDA. The ultrasound showed sludge. That was the first week in January. I was referred to a surgeon who immediately basically said, "out with your gallbladder!". But he also wanted to do a CT scan of my abdomen to make sure there was something being missed. I had that done on January 17th and that, again, came back fine. More blood work at the end of January, then a visit with the GI NP one week before surgery was scheduled. I told her about how I read here that a score of 83% on a HIDA was NOT normal and she looked at me like I was crazy. Even brought in the *actual* GI (she was the nurse practitioner for the GI) and that's when he changed the course of everything. Even HE never heard of "overactive gallbladder". After reviewing my tests, he told me to cancel surgery and that we were going to try some other things first. First up, was repeat HIDA. I had that done last Thursday (2.14.13) and it came back at 87%. Again, they claimed that as "normal". The next step in the GI's plan was antibiotics. I have a fear of new meds and after researching the two antibiotics online, I just couldn't take them. And then yesterday morning (2.20.13) around 4am I woke up in absolute excruciating pain and ended up going to the ER. Where, of course, they can only treat the pain not the real issue. So the basically just doped me up (didn't even WORK!) and sent me on my way with a prescription for Bentyl (anti-spasmodic, mostly used for IBS). I got home from the hospital yesterday morning and the pain just never eased up. So last night I just decided I was done fighting. Called and made an appointment with the surgeon this morning, was lucky I was able to see him today (and the specific one that the GI WANTED me to see, not the dumb guy from last time). When he came into the room today, he was like, "you have sludge - those are small stones! no wonder you're in so much pain!". We went over my history and he decided I should have it taken out ASAP since I've been miserable for so long. I agreed. Tomorrow morning is surgery.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybell View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Lisa
If you dont mind me asking what is wrong with your gb ? I have an overactive gb and i am seeing my surgeon in the morning.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
(female)

I have posted two long replies, and neither of them are here. How frustrating!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
(female)

And then THAT one posts right away. What the heck?!?!

Anyway, I'll do the short version: I've been having pain in my URQ since the first week in September. After numerous tests (endoscope, tons of blood work, gallbladder ultrasound and ct scan of abdomen) and a trip to the ER yesterday morning because I woke up at 4am in the worst pain that I've had associated with this - I've just decided I'm done.

The gallbladder ultrasound showed sludge and my HIDA scan that I had last Thursday was 87% (previous one done in January of 2011 was 83%). The trip to the ER was the breaking point. I'm REALLY hoping this is the solution and the END OF MY PAIN. Praying so hard for that!

Lisa

Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
(female)

Roxybell, thank you for the info my hida scan was 92% and i like you have had it . I have been sick for months lost alot of weight been to the er also . I am seeing a surgeon in the morning . Hope all goes well for you , will be thinking and praying for you . You will sure feel better when you get that bugger out of there .Please let us know how you are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabin921 For This Useful Post:
roxybell (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
(female)

charlotte890 HB User

How'd it go?

Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
(female)

Apparently everything went fine. I am very sore (URQ, my back and my chest and shoulders), but I guess that's to be expected. I HATED waking up out of anesthesia - my legs were shaking, my vision was blurry and was immediately nauseous.

The surgeon told my husband that my small bowel was "stuck" to my gallbladder ...whatever THAT means. But I'm freaked out by it.

So yeah. Got there at 6am. Surgery was at 7:30am and it was less than an hour. I left the hospital at 11:30am - very sore, very dizzy and nauseous, but i figured I could just be all that in the comfort of my bed at home.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
(male)

dimsler HB User

I'm having very similar symptoms, above normal hida scan, and two inconclusive ultrasounds, with an endoscopy scheduled in a few weeks. I didn't realize you can have a high hida scan ejection rate with sludge build up? Hope you get better soon and please tell us if you're feeling better!

Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
(female)

Right?! I know! That so WEIRD to have sludge with a high ejection fraction! I haven no idea, I don't understand at ALL.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
(female)

My mom just called to check on me and she said my husband called her at 8:10am saying that my surgery was done, so it took less than 40 minutes! WOW!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
(female)

Roxybell, so glad everything went well and hope you get to feeling better soon . I saw my surgeon this morning and my surgery is for thursday morning. Please post and let us know how you are doing.

Reply Reply