It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
(male)

alexz28 HB User
Should I have gallbladder surgery?

I have developed gallstones I think mainly because I was not eating regularly for a while (skipping meals many times) which was giving my problems in the past. I had all the symptoms of bad gallbladder and attacks which led to me having gallbladder infection/inflammation, for which I was taking anti biotics for a week.

My doctor send me to see surgeon to get my gallbladder out. He said it was up to me to take it out or not, but he did say if it was him he would take it out.

I got back into working out and started eating regular meals (plus extra meals here and there) and snacks between. Since then (Oct 18 2012 after seeing the surgeon) I had no more attacks or any symptoms of bad gallbladder, I have not had full gallbladder attack since May when I went to ER for infection of gallbladder. I can eat anything now with out any problems even foods high in fat, foods that were high fat that gave me few attacks before do not bother me anymore. I think its all because I started eating all my meals again.

I don't know if I should have the surgery, my doctor said I could wait and see but next time I could develop pancreatitis which is pretty big trouble, but if I have surgery I am affraid I will problems after wards, I've read some people are worst off after surgery then before, plus I am not fan of having surgery (its my first, even if its no big deal).

BTW I don't know how many stones I have or how big and I didn't have HIDA test done.

What should I do? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Should I have gallbladder surgery?

Personally, I would have it out (have done that and have had no problems from it). The main concern besides the pancreatitis - which is brutal - is that it could rupture - like an appendix - and that is potentially fatal.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
(female)

roxybell HB Userroxybell HB Userroxybell HB User
Re: Go for gallbladder surgery???

If I were you, I'd request a HIDA scan before your surgery to see how your gallbladder is functioning.

As for right now, if you're having pain, you should probably ease up on the fatty foods as they are most likely the culprit.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The continuing dull pain means the gb is getting worse. You need to have it out. Sooner rather than later. Why have a HIDA scan when you already know you have gallstones? And you can feel what they are doing to you? Your doctor said he would have it out if it was him. Good advice!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
(male)

alexz28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
The continuing dull pain means the gb is getting worse. You need to have it out. Sooner rather than later. Why have a HIDA scan when you already know you have gallstones? And you can feel what they are doing to you? Your doctor said he would have it out if it was him. Good advice!
I think it would just ease my mind if I knew what my HIDA scan would say and If I knew how many stones I have and how big they are. If my test relieved low gallbladder function and I found out that my gallbladder was full of stones then it would be easier to opt for surgery.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

The HIDA won't tell you how many stones and how big. Most of the time they can't tell that till that take it out. All the HIDA does is give you an ejection fraction. And you can have a normal EF and still have stones. One does not correlate to the other. One tests for one thing and the other for another. There are two distinct problems with gb's: stones and function. You don't usually have problems with both -it's one or the other.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User

Quote:
The HIDA won't tell you how many stones and how big. Most of the time they can't tell that till that take it out. All the HIDA does is give you an ejection fraction. And you can have a normal EF and still have stones. One does not correlate to the other. One tests for one thing and the other for another. There are two distinct problems with gb's: stones and function. You don't usually have problems with both -it's one or the other.
Not for sure but cant having a hida if you have stones it could move a stone into a duct ?

Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
(female)

The only way to find out *how many* and *how big* is via a gallbladder ultrasound.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 AM   #9
(male)

alexz28 HB User

Quote:
OK that explains why doctor nor surgeon didn't say anything about having HIDA test done. They saw stones that was giving my problems and wanted me to have my gallbladder out. I am pretty sure my test would come back fine, I am just worried how am I going to be able to digest food with out my gallbladder, if its functioning fine but just has stone in it.

(about bold part) I thought that by ultra sound that they could, tell you how many you have and how big. If its like 2-3 and how big or if my gallbladder is full of stones.

I wanted to have another US to find that out. My mom recently went to see same doctor and asked that for me and he said, I could do that but it does not matter how many or how big the need to come out.

BTW I find it weird that I didn't have any big attacks since May, I had few small ones in the middle of the night but drink of water helped that pretty fast, and none since I got back to eating normaly in Oct. Ofcourse there was this whole week of this bull pain under my rib cage (today there was none).

the surgery is coming up fast and I think should go for it but I am starting to freak out about it again. I already postponned one surgery in Jan.

Last edited by alexz28; 03-04-2013 at 02:50 AM.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #10
(male)

alexz28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin921 View Post
Not for sure but cant having a hida if you have stones it could move a stone into a duct ?
Makes sense.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:03 AM   #11
(male)

alexz28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybell View Post
The only way to find out *how many* and *how big* is via a gallbladder ultrasound.
Saw you had your surgery recently, how are you feeling now, are having problem with digesting food.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

A HIDA Scan could move a stone into the duct. But just daily eating can do that as well. As for number and size of stones, yes, if you just have a few they can count them - if they want to take the time to do it. Usually if it's 2 or 3 or less, they'll say so. But some people are full of them and they really can't count them till they get it out.

As for how will you eat without a gb, I am sooo sorry no one has explained all this to you. No wonder you are so frantic! They leave the bile duct to regulate the bile. It can take a couple of weeks for it to works properly so that's why you should eat no fat for a couple of weeks after the surgery - and now until then so the gb won't try to work.

Let me know if you have other questions. It's a very simple procedure and most people bounce back within days. I was 59 when I had mine out and I jogged 2 miles a week later. Others don't do that well but as you are young, I'll bet you will do great.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexz28 View Post
Saw you had your surgery recently, how are you feeling now, are having problem with digesting food.
I'm 10 days post-op and I'm not really having any trouble digesting food. I started eating a little more fat one week post-op and nothing really happened. The only time I get cramps/pain is when I eat too much I think.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
(male)

alexz28 HB User

Quote:
A HIDA Scan could move a stone into the duct. But just daily eating can do that as well. As for number and size of stones, yes, if you just have a few they can count them - if they want to take the time to do it. Usually if it's 2 or 3 or less, they'll say so. But some people are full of them and they really can't count them till they get it out.

As for how will you eat without a gb, I am sooo sorry no one has explained all this to you. No wonder you are so frantic! They leave the bile duct to regulate the bile. It can take a couple of weeks for it to works properly so that's why you should eat no fat for a couple of weeks after the surgery - and now until then so the gb won't try to work.

Let me know if you have other questions. It's a very simple procedure and most people bounce back within days. I was 59 when I had mine out and I jogged 2 miles a week later. Others don't do that well but as you are young, I'll bet you will do great.

My surgeon said that some people have diarrhea few weeks afterwards that's about he didn't say anything about low fat diet after surgery, and my doctor told me that some people experiance loose stool when eating lots of fat, not just right after the surgery like for the rest of thier lives.

I didn't know anything about gallbladder before, when my doctor told me I have gallstones and they need to come I didn't know that meant removing the whole gallbladder. Then when I went to see the surgeon and he said about removing the whole gallbladder that cought me by suprise. I didn't really know what to ask at that point. Afterwards when I went home and started reading all these people who suffer after getting gallbladder remove it got me worried.

Why don't you think I didn't have any attacks for such a long time. I really think its because of change in my diet (eating more, even foods high in fat didn't bother me minus last week with the dull pain I had). The foods that gave me attack before didn't do that now.

I am kinda hoping because I was eating more thus my gallbladder working more I pass whatever was in my gallbladder, that's why I was thinking about having another US now to see if there is anything in there. Do you think its worth to have another US, if so then I have to call them back and postponned the surgery again. They want a least one week notice that way they can fill in the slot.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User

Just my thoughts but i think if you passed any stone you would have had pain when they passed. I just had my gb surgery done on Feb 28 and i went the first 4 days after with no bowel movement but had a normal movement today. My Mother had her gb removed a few years ago and had problems with spells of loose bowels but found that if she takes a pro biotic every day she doesnt have any more problems with it .

Reply Reply