It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
(male)

matt582 HB User
My Situation Advice Please!

Hi,

Had my first attack about 4yrs ago and stayed in hospital for 2 days whilst they did a scan on me. Was told i had 2 small gallstones and sludge. Was sent home and between then and now ive had approx 6 more attacks , some really severe pain and some quite severe. Most of the times ive gone to hospital due to the pain not subsiding. Every time ive had blood tests in the hospital to see if i had a blocked bile duct or inflammation and every time they have come back perfect. The last doctor i saw in the hospital said it was strange as normally you find blood test results to be off?

Anyway , went back to the doctors about 2 months ago and asked to be referred back to the hospital so i can have a scan to see if i still have the gallstones as im not that happy to have it out. My reasoning behind this is my Aunty had hers out 6yrs ago and is having terrible problems now such as acid, painful stomach etc
When i went to see the surgeon at the hospital he seemed really aloof and just disregarded any other form of treatment instead of removal. I asked if i could have a scan and he just said , no point. I expressed my concerns but he just avoided my questions. I mentioned a HIDA scan and he just replied "well we dont even know if your gallbladder is functioning properly yet"which excuse my ignorance but isnt that the whole point of the HIDA scan??
He said to leave it 4 months and stick to a strict low fat diet and then come back to see him then.

I asked my doctor prior to seeing the hospital, if i could have the treatemnt that tries to dissolve them and was told no point as they dont work (something ive read a lot about recently and find that not to be true).

My question is, am i doing the right thing , going back to my doctor and asking for the tablets to try and dissolve them? I just dont see the point in just having it out when its not a daily problem , sometimes i can go months and sometimes can have 2 attacks in the space of a month. I am desperate to try and save my gallbladder as have read about the increased risk of bowel cancer, possible ghost pains etc

Any advice is really appreciated

Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: My Situation Advice Please!

The first thing you need to do is quit reading all the "ifs" and "mights." I'm sorry your aunt has these issues but without knowing what all problems she had before having the gb out, what her diet was like for the first few weeks after having it out, what her health was like at the time, you really can't compare it.

I had mine out 8 years ago and have had no problems. I ate no fat for 3 weeks after having it out and then slowly added it back to my diet. That's the best way to do it.

Keep in mind that just because you don't have attacks doesn't mean those stones aren't causing damage. Also, if it should rupture, you would face emergency surgery and possible death. I do know someone who passed away from a ruptured gb. They remove about 500,000 every year and the failure rate (people who continue to have problems) is about 2%. You can live a perfectly normal life without one - just like your appendix, tonsils, spleen, etc. Please consider having it removed. You will be glad you did.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
(male)

matt582 HB User

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have no objection to having it out if its needed, im just curious as to why the doctors are so quick to recommend removal when surely in this day and age they could do other methods. If te tablets work in 50% of people , why would they insist on an operation that surely must be more costly than tablets?

I know of a young girl who had hers out and eats like a horse now with no issues but also seen the flipped side of the coin with my aunty and its worrying.

Matt

Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
(male)

matt582 HB User

Hi,

Please excuse the description below...

Im wondering if this is my gallbladder at all as i have stomach ache all over lots of times. Today for instance , woke up and fine , no pains at all , eaten really well, low fat , no rubbish. Just had tortillas for tea, chicken, peppers, very low fat and my stomach is really hard and bloated with pains all over, even to the left , which is nowhere near my gallblader. Also just been to the toilet and as i have for the last week , as it comes out ive been catching it in toilet paper and the poo is really shiny and hard and almost like big pebbles stuck together. Im wondering if i have IBS or gastritis or both.

What are your thoughts

Matt

Last edited by matt582; 03-21-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
(male)

matt582 HB User

To add , the colour of my poo is normal brown , which defies the theory that not enough bile and it would be a lighter yellow colour.

Matt

Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The meds may or may not dissolve all the stones. It may cause them to move and get one stuck in the bile duct. That can be very bad and cause issues for the rest of your life as it may damage the duct.

Also, the stones are spiney. When your gb constricts to spew bile into your system in order to digest fat, the inside of your gb gets damaged and scarred from the spines. That can cause your gb to be low functioning - which would show on a HIDA scan - or cause infection which in turn causes it to rupture, etc. In other words, you are basically playing Russian Roulette with your gb. Why not just have it out an be done with it all?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt582 View Post
Hi,

Please excuse the description below...

Im wondering if this is my gallbladder at all as i have stomach ache all over lots of times. Today for instance , woke up and fine , no pains at all , eaten really well, low fat , no rubbish. Just had tortillas for tea, chicken, peppers, very low fat and my stomach is really hard and bloated with pains all over, even to the left , which is nowhere near my gallblader. Also just been to the toilet and as i have for the last week , as it comes out ive been catching it in toilet paper and the poo is really shiny and hard and almost like big pebbles stuck together. Im wondering if i have IBS or gastritis or both.

What are your thoughts

Matt
I had gb surgery 3 weeks ago today . I had pain in right side under ribs but also had center of stomach pain and pain in left side also under ribs and in left shoulder blade. I think with gallbladder you can have pain in many different places. My stool was sometimes light colored but most times it was normal brown and i never had loose stools .

Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
(male)

matt582 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
The meds may or may not dissolve all the stones. It may cause them to move and get one stuck in the bile duct. That can be very bad and cause issues for the rest of your life as it may damage the duct.

Also, the stones are spiney. When your gb constricts to spew bile into your system in order to digest fat, the inside of your gb gets damaged and scarred from the spines. That can cause your gb to be low functioning - which would show on a HIDA scan - or cause infection which in turn causes it to rupture, etc. In other words, you are basically playing Russian Roulette with your gb. Why not just have it out an be done with it all?
Because removal isnt a guaranteed cure. Im trying to make sure it is definitely my gallbladder before its out. Once its out , theres no putting it back in.

Matt

Last edited by matt582; 03-21-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Having cataracts removed is no guarantee you won't have more vision issues. Having your tonsils out is no guarantee you won't have strep throat again. Having an organ transplant is no guarantee the new one won't get diseased. But it's all better odds than not doing it!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
(male)

matt582 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Having cataracts removed is no guarantee you won't have more vision issues. Having your tonsils out is no guarantee you won't have strep throat again. Having an organ transplant is no guarantee the new one won't get diseased. But it's all better odds than not doing it!
I can see what your saying but can you see what im saying? Removing your left leg for a problem with your right arm isnt going to help and if it isnt my gallbladder , im no better and have had an organ removed for nothing.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Everyone has to make their own decisions. You obviously have had gb attacks but if you feel that it isn't that bad, that's fine. You just need to be aware of the risks and ready to act if/when it gets worse. I'm just trying to give you all the info you need to make an informed decision. I don't know how hard it is to get a HIDA scan over there. I've read they don't do them as often as they do them in the States but you might see about it so that you know everything there is to know about your situation.

Reply Reply