It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

phillykevin HB User
Liver enzymes/gallbladder attack

My liver enzymes were all out of whack in the bloodwork i had done in the emergency room friday nght. My urine was very dark Saturday and Sunday. Today the urine is almost normal. I had follow up blood work done today to make sure the liver enzymes are headed in the right direction. I'm more concerned about my liver enzymes being screwy then I am about needing my gallbladder removed. I read irregular liver enzymes is fairly common after a gallbladder attack. Did any of you have a spike in liver enzyme numbers when you had a gallbladder attack? My gallbladder attack was horrible. I thought I was about to die. It was the worst pain i've ever felt in my life.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Liver enzymes/gallbladder attack

My bilirubin was high until about 3 months after I had mine out. Not real high but still above the normal line. When are you having your gb out? Be sure to eat no fat until 2-3 weeks after.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

phillykevin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
My bilirubin was high until about 3 months after I had mine out. Not real high but still above the normal line. When are you having your gb out? Be sure to eat no fat until 2-3 weeks after.
ALL of my liver enzymes are high. Im seeing the surgeon on monday to talk about the surgery. Im getting poor treatment. The nurse at the surgeons office said the emergency room should have never discharged me with my liver enzymes out of whack. It indicates a blockage from the liver to the gallbladder. I should have been admitted and had surgery immediately. I asked if im sick why i can't see a doctor until next monday. She said,"You picked a bad week to get sick. This IS PASSOVER AFTERALL."

Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Find another surgeon! Surely he isn't the only one in Philly.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

phillykevin HB User

Quote:
Find another surgeon! Surely he isn't the only one in Philly.
I also have hiv. I went to my hiv doctor on monday after i made the appt. with the surgeon. He took more bloodwork to see "which direction my liver enzymes are headed". He said as long as I don't "feel sick" I shouldn't be concerned unless the new bloodwork shows my liver enzymes are getting worse or not improving.. He is going to call me on thursday. If the liver enzymes are worse or the same he said i should go back to the hospital. The thing about philly and the medical profession is that i don't think you understand what "THIS IS PASSOVER" means.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Yes, I do understand about Passover and that this is also Holy Week for Christians. In a place with large medical centers though there are usually a good number of other faiths as well.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

phillykevin HB User

Quote:
Yes, I do understand about Passover and that this is also Holy Week for Christians. In a place with large medical centers though there are usually a good number of other faiths as well.
Now im kind of stuck in the middle in a wait and see situation. I have one nurse telling me I should have never been released from the hospital and my regular doctor doing the next right thing which is to see if the liver enzymes were out of whack from the gallbladder attack(which is common) or from some other problem. My liver enzymes were all normal 2 months ago and on friday night they were 4x's above the normal range. My doctor is testing me for hepatitis and everything else he can think of. I know when the liver isn't functioning properly urine gets very dark. It was very dark on saturday better on sunday and close to normal on monday. So hopefully the bloodwork comes back OK. I really don't have a choice but to wait for the bloodwork.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

phillykevin HB User

In a major city like philadephia the emrgency rooms are geered toward saving the lives of people in critical condition. If you can walk and talk they refer you to a doctor and discharge you. They aren't very interested in a guy with a gallbladder attack and high liver enzymes. Its like,"OK here is your diagnosis.YOU ARE NOT ABOUT TO DIE SO GO HOME AND FOLLOW UP WITH SOMEONE ESLE."

Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Be sure to eat no fat until you get this resolved. It will keep the gb attacks down.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
(female)

hsmum HB User

Hi Kevin, my enzymes were also very high prior to my surgery. I'm not sure where they are at the moment but I go back next month for bloodwork to check. Please keep in mind that even though your numbers may have improved a bit and your urine is clearing up, it doesn't mean your gallbladder problems are over. You may have passed a gallstone that was blocking the bile duct but there are probably more mobile stones just lurking. Hope you get some kind of resolution soon.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

phillykevin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmum View Post
Hi Kevin, my enzymes were also very high prior to my surgery. I'm not sure where they are at the moment but I go back next month for bloodwork to check. Please keep in mind that even though your numbers may have improved a bit and your urine is clearing up, it doesn't mean your gallbladder problems are over. You may have passed a gallstone that was blocking the bile duct but there are probably more mobile stones just lurking. Hope you get some kind of resolution soon.
Thank you for posting. I'm looking foward to seeing the surgeon on monday. My doctor called this morning wth mondays bloodwork and said my liver enzymes were through the roof and to go to an emrgency room. They did more bloodwork. My enzymes were back down to where they were last friday so they discharged me. I have to get more bloodwork on friday. Im just really exhausted at this point.I remember my grandmoms advice,"DON'T GET SICK!"

Old 03-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

phillykevin HB User

The gallbladder attack was a blessing in disguise. It revealed a bad reaction to a drug called lamictal. The liver issue was a seperare issue from my gall bladder. They market lamictal as a drug that is safe. It has killed over 500 people due to liver failure.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

phillykevin HB User

They don't know if the hgh liver enzymes are from the meds or a temporary blockage of the bile duct or who knows what. I'll try to relax until the bloodwork comes back. Hopefully they continue to trend down.

Reply Reply