It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
(male)

bbdd23 HB User
Having shortness of breath..

Hi all, I went to the ER yesterday where I had the following tests done:

XR Chest PA or AP and Lateral (Standard)
XR Abdomen (2 Views)
Complete Blood Count with Differential
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
Lipase
Troponin I
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
D-Dimer
Level, Valproic Acid
EKG Standard

All my tests came back healthy and normal except for my gall bladder xray....the ER doctor ordered an ultrasound and it confirmed that I have a large gallstone. It was surprising to me because I am not in pain. My symptoms are as follows:

Burping (I mean alot)
Shortness of Breath (only after eating things that are difficult to digest it seems)
Anxiety (mainly from shortness of breath)
Slightly stuffy nose (I also have deviated septum if that amounts to anything)

The symptoms were very manageable two to three weeks ago, but I was feeling good and started to overeat. I also had alcohol one night, but I didn't think it was anything excessive really. My diet has probably been bad, I've always considered myself to be in pretty good health. At this point I can't really digest any starches, dairy products give me problems, along with the other typical things like red meats and fat.

The ER doctor recommended I contact a surgeon about getting my gallbladder removed, and that seemed reasonable to me but it is a pretty big decision obviously. Based on what I'm reading the prognosis on a gallstone isn't good. And they tend to come back, is this correct? I just thought that gallstones caused more pain. I did have SEVERE pain like...5 years ago in the same area but none of the other symptoms. It promptly went away after a few doctors visits though. I just don't get the shortness of breath, where is that coming from? Is it a reaction to my body's inability to digest starchy/fatty foods? It goes away as my stomach gets empty..but I gotta eat eventually. I'm new to the whole gallbladder thing so any advice/help is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
(female)

Narda99 HB User
Re: Having shortness of breath..

Sorry to read that you are having so many discomforts. I cannot really offer any advice only to say if you do decide to have your gallbladder removed, that it is a very simple process, at least it was in my case. I certainly didn't have bad pains before mine was removed, actually it was more like a nagging one under my ribs and in the back. After the ultrasound I was told I had a huge gall stone, and it probably should come out. Saw the surgeon the next day, and 5 days later had the surgery. I went into surgery at 8:30 and was back home at 12:30 pm. No discomfort and no restrictions on diet or exercise. Saw surgeon for follow-up 10 days later, had the strips removed and released with no other appointments. You should certainly feel much better after it is removed. Good Luck.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
(female)

k9love HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narda99 View Post
Sorry to read that you are having so many discomforts. I cannot really offer any advice only to say if you do decide to have your gallbladder removed, that it is a very simple process, at least it was in my case. I certainly didn't have bad pains before mine was removed, actually it was more like a nagging one under my ribs and in the back. After the ultrasound I was told I had a huge gall stone, and it probably should come out. Saw the surgeon the next day, and 5 days later had the surgery. I went into surgery at 8:30 and was back home at 12:30 pm. No discomfort and no restrictions on diet or exercise. Saw surgeon for follow-up 10 days later, had the strips removed and released with no other appointments. You should certainly feel much better after it is removed. Good Luck.
Hi, I hope you dont mind me asking you a ?

Was your pain constant? and did it hurt for you to touch that area? just trying to find out as I have very simular pain and tests etc show nothing but I havent actually had any gallbladder test apart from ultra sound on right organs, can they tell from ultra sound alone?

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If you have gallstones, you need to have the gb removed. There are too many bad side effects from not doing it and you can live perfectly well without one. I don't miss mine at all. Don't run the risk of it getting infected and rupturing. That could be fatal.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
(male)

bbdd23 HB User

Hi all,

I had an appointment with a gastroenterologist who actually felt my gallbladder and I did feel a bit of discomfort..but it wasn't agonizing pain or anything like I've been reading. He says that some of my symptoms sound like they could be gallbladder related, given that I do have a large gallstone...but that the burping/shortness of breath could be indicative of gastritis or a sluggish stomach due to the medication I take. He recommended I get an upper endoscopy, which I am in the process of scheduling now.

I did have some SEVERE pain about 7 years ago and my upper abdomen that radiated to my back area..but I was never diagnosed with gallstones in a trip to the emergency room. Those lasted about a month off/on and then never bothered me again. My health at that time was still good honestly so I didn't panic about it much. It just went away after a while.

Prior to my trip to the ER in April I did have a somewhat frightening attack but it wasn't THAT painful..it felt kinda like a small heart attack with slight pain in mid section and I could feel my chest tightening up..made it hard to get in a deep breath and created a panicked feeling. It lasted about 4-6 hours and I haven't really felt the same since. I haven't had another panicked feeling like that but I've also changed my diet significantly since then. I guess I'm just confused because I don't have the 'classic' gallbladder symptoms right now..though I think I might have when I was younger. Any one have any thoughts on what I'm going thru?

Old 06-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I think you are seeing complications from the gallbladder issues and that you should have it removed. When it is not working properly you can excess or not enough digestive bile which can cause all sorts of digestive problems including gastritis. And you don't have to have doubled over, praying for death kind of pain from a bad gallbladder to have it out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
bbdd23 (06-15-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
(male)

bbdd23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I think you are seeing complications from the gallbladder issues and that you should have it removed. When it is not working properly you can excess or not enough digestive bile which can cause all sorts of digestive problems including gastritis. And you don't have to have doubled over, praying for death kind of pain from a bad gallbladder to have it out.
That's what I think too, but want to get the endoscopy done first to make sure everything else looks ok.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

That would be a valid idea. At least then you'll have more information.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Gallbladder problems often causing bloating and gas buildup, which distends the stomach and abdomen and crowd your lungs causing shortness of breath. I would eat small amounts more frequently but avoid fatty foods that will stimulate your gallbladder. The stone will not go away, so you are facing continued symptoms and getting worse eventually. Might as well do it now than wait for a crisis to occur, in my opinion.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
(male)

bbdd23 HB User

Hi guys, another question..gallbladders really confuse me..

I ran four days in a row just after waking up and was OK..I ate only a nutri-grain bar prior to running. This morning however I didn't eat one and had only applesauce and struggled with my jog as I had alot of gas build-up and burping while running...I don't understand that that applesauce has no fat in it. I was still able to get some jogging in..and walked a total of two miles. The gassy burping though left me a bit breathless at times. Just really annoying.

I also have noticed that when I push down on my right abdomen I almost feel it 'click' or something. It doesn't hurt but it's weird and I've never noticed it before. My primary symptom is not pain, it's gas build up..would a large gallstone really cause that much burping? Seems to be conflicting info out there..some say it is completely unrelated some say it is. I've had some digestive irregularities with bowel movements...but I haven't had diarrhea or anything, most of the time it's just dry and hard....kinda painful at times. I dunno, just looking for some helpful insight from people that have gone through this crap before. Pretty miserable and confusing, can go crazy if you think about it too much so I'm trying not to until I get my endoscopy/meet with surgeon.

Reply Reply