It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

Judy967 HB User
how are people doing after a gall bladder operation

I'm wondering about myself and a friend having remaining issues after gall bladder removal (myself a year, my friend 6 months). We both still have gas, poor digestion, elimination issues and pain in the liver area? I'm thinking it's a toxic liver being very stressed and am upping my liver support through supplements, but so far, it's only mildly helpful. Also, I can't eat at night - like after 7:30 or I have a night of gas and digestive pain. Is the bile just not available at certain times to digest the food? Have people had positive help from taking bile salts? I try betaine and other things but it's not enough and helps sometimes and not others. I'd welcome any help or hearing what others have experienced.
Thank you very much,
Judy

Old 04-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: how are people doing after a gall bladder operation

You might try posting on the Gallbladder board where more people who've had these issues are. I didn't have and still don't have any problems since having mine out. My only problem was stones though and no other issues.

Did you eat stay no fat for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
(female)

roxybell HB Userroxybell HB Userroxybell HB User

When you say "pain in the liver area", what kind of pain do you mean? I'm 2 months post-op today and have had this soreness (and sometimes just down right PAIN) kitty corner from my belly button. I'm wondering if maybe it's the same thing you're describing...

Old 04-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
(female)

peaches1923 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy967 View Post
I'm wondering about myself and a friend having remaining issues after gall bladder removal (myself a year, my friend 6 months). We both still have gas, poor digestion, elimination issues and pain in the liver area? I'm thinking it's a toxic liver being very stressed and am upping my liver support through supplements, but so far, it's only mildly helpful. Also, I can't eat at night - like after 7:30 or I have a night of gas and digestive pain. Is the bile just not available at certain times to digest the food? Have people had positive help from taking bile salts? I try betaine and other things but it's not enough and helps sometimes and not others. I'd welcome any help or hearing what others have experienced.
Thank you very much,
Judy
I'm almost 1 month post op and just starting to feel better. Right now Im just a little bit weak and still having some bathroom issues. I also have some problems sleeping. Pain now is minimal and eating not too bad. I have lost 28 pounds through this. I would like to feel 100% but Im not quite there yet. I think this takes a lot longer then doctors tell us at least for some of us!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It can also depend on what kind of shape you are in at the time of surgery. I had some notice - over a month - and so added extra mileage to my jogs and more days in the gym lifting weights to build up my strength and hopefully not be out so long. I really think it paid off as I jogged two miles a week after my surgery and was back in the gym after 3 weeks. I also was only off work 2-1/2 days.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
(female)

madalene88 HB User

I had my gallbladder taken out (laprascopic) on the 23rd, due to gallstones.
I had four incisions, the one by my belly button is a little tender as is the one slightly to the right of my belly button, the highest one to the right hurts the most, but inside, and it feels a little swollen underneath (gallbladder area) what i am really confused about is the incision to the far left of my upper abdomen? I did ask the nurse after I woke up but all I can remember was her saying "sometimes...."lol. All I wanted to do was to go home ASAP, the pain from the gas was a lot worse than what I had anticipated! Luckily that's worn of. I just can't stand up straight and have to change positions a lot to get comfy. I am still taking paracetamol and naproxen, and I am waiting for my outpatient appointment in the post.

Last edited by madalene88; 04-26-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

I know a lot of people have 4 incisions but I only had three so I'm not conversant on the reasons for this.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:45 AM   #8
(female)

madalene88 HB User
Unhappy Re: how are people doing after a gall bladder operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I know a lot of people have 4 incisions but I only had three so I'm not conversant on the reasons for this.
Thank you for your reply, it's not the fact of the four incisions, I've heard of cases where they have used five! It's just the place it's in, on the far left, no where even near the gallbladder :/ it's all lumpy and yucky, the top two incisions are the worst.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
(female)

peaches1923 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madalene88 View Post
I had my gallbladder taken out (laprascopic) on the 23rd, due to gallstones.
I had four incisions, the one by my belly button is a little tender as is the one slightly to the right of my belly button, the highest one to the right hurts the most, but inside, and it feels a little swollen underneath (gallbladder area) what i am really confused about is the incision to the far left of my upper abdomen? I did ask the nurse after I woke up but all I can remember was her saying "sometimes...."lol. All I wanted to do was to go home ASAP, the pain from the gas was a lot worse than what I had anticipated! Luckily that's worn of. I just can't stand up straight and have to change positions a lot to get comfy. I am still taking paracetamol and naproxen, and I am waiting for my outpatient appointment in the post.
I also have 4 incisions.. One in the upper part of my stomach, one by my belly button and two on the right side of my stomach where the gallbladder was. I have No incisions on my left side. Since you had surgery only 3 days ago I think all the pain is normal. It took me almost 1month to feel better and Im still having bathroom issues. Hope you feel better soon!

The following user gives a hug of support to peaches1923:
madalene88 (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
(female)

madalene88 HB User

Thank you Peaches1923, I am feeling a lot better now, I cooked dinner tonight, I just felt a bit achey afterwards and I can totally relate to the itchiness lol
Has any one heard of having an incision on the far left side of the upper abdomen? I have my outpatients appointment on the 10th of May so I will ask my surgeon, it's just really bugging me :/

Old 04-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
(female)

TwinsMom03 HB User

I have four incisions belly button two on the right one on the left.

The Following User Says Thank You to TwinsMom03 For This Useful Post:
madalene88 (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
(female)

madalene88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsMom03 View Post
I have four incisions belly button two on the right one on the left.
Thank you! I'm not the only one
Do you know if there was any particular reason for this? Or is it just the way certain surgeons like to do things?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
(female)

TwinsMom03 HB User

No special reason. I guess they all do it a little differently like you said.

The Following User Says Thank You to TwinsMom03 For This Useful Post:
madalene88 (04-29-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
(female)

LLocket HB User

i have had mine out for 2 years nearly now, i still have attacks now even with healthy foods like an apple. cant eat then sleep. have to wait 5 hours to pass by before even laying down, a bath...etc..

i lost weight to begin with and even though i had a healthy diet, i put on weight.
the scars below my left breast is the worse, i still feel it and chest pain, gallbladder pain is there.

even though i have other issues, been told its do it with my gallbladder and the extraction. something like that.

Reply Reply