It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
What Are Some Things to Eat After Gallbladder Surgery?

Hello. If you've had your gallbladder removed, could you please tell me what you started out with eating and what you avoided?

I'm having a hard time and everyone says something different.

Thank you for your time.

Hugs,
Salty

Old 06-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: What Are Some Things to Eat After Gallbladder Surgery?

Avoid fat mainly. FOr some people, they find it helps to avoid roughage (raw fruit and vegetables) as well. After about 2-3 weeks you can start to slowly introduce the fats and roughage back into your diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
(female)

dolores79 HB User

Hello, I cooked non fat veggie soup in advance, before my surgery and froze it. (by 2 servings approx.) That way I had something ready to go to when/if hungry after the surgery. I ate just that for the first couple of days and it turned out to be a great idea!. I tried apples and pears and that gave me a bad stomach ache so I avoided those, even now 1 month post surgery...I am afraid to try them again, but I made some sugar free apple compote and that is perfectly fine (I use it on waffles for breakfast and love it!. Chicken has been my best friend since..Have not had eggs yet.
In short avoid fats for the first weeks and then introduce slowly, one at a time, up to 50 grs a day. Yogurt was fine for a while but now I have narrowed down my heartburn to it.
I am ashamed to admit I had a big mac with kiddie fries last week (almost 1 month post surgery) fully expecting severe ill effects that never came!.
It is sooo sooo personal that you will have to do the trial and error approach but no fat is the golden rule!.
Good luck!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
(female)

dolores79 HB User

forgot to mention that not eating or skipping meals is what causes the most discomfort post surgery so make sure to eat smaller meals, more often.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
(female)

downforthecount HB User

I had my gallbladder out June 4th so I'm two weeks out. It was hit-n-miss for me but no dairy at all. Made me feel nausea's. I had lots of jello, dry breakfast cereal, plain english muffins, toast, broth from a box and tried pasta today which worked out good. I also had five or six peanut M&M's the other day and it didn't effect me.

Reply Reply