It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
(female)

barredowl HB User
Question Hida 93%, saw surgeon

My Hida Scan is 93% and have various abdominal issues with gallbladder area pain off and on. Bloating, much fatigue, reflux, bad pain, etc . Finally spoke with a surgeon suggested by my gastroenterologist. He said that 93% was not "bad". I've had most CT's etc. to find out any abdominal problems. Have gastritis, diverticulosis, IBS, Lyme, Fibro, Neuropathy. No gallstones. Surgeon was honest and stated that it sounded like gallbladder but no guarantee. I'm sooo tired of hurting most of time altho will have a good day or so, but not sure if this will cure it. I know that I WILL not know for sure unless it is taken out but also guess I'm looking for it to be THE answer and stop all this nonsense. I also need to know it gallbladder disease or whatever can cause vertigo or dizziness and right eye pain and headaches. Drs. and Surgeon said they don't know. (go figure). Has anyone had experience with any of the above. I am so ambivalent about undergoing the removal of part of my body and keep hoping that diet will somehow help. Need feedback badly!
Thanks for reading...
Barredowl

Old 07-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
Re: Hida 93%, saw surgeon

Normal reference range for the HIDA scan ejection rate is 35-75%. Having an ejection rate that is too high means that you have gallbladder disease. At 93% you are way too high which means too much bile is being released at one time which can create all kinds of digestive issues.

It was unclear from your post, is the surgeon willing to remove the gallbladder? If no, ask the Gastro doctor to send you to another surgeon.

As to symptoms, the gallbladder has been called the great mimic as it can mimic a lot of other diseases. Symptoms can vary from person to person. It is also possible to have two different diseases at the same time. I have not heard of the gallbladder causing eye pain or headaches. I didn't have vertigo, but gallbladder disease caused my blood pressure to fluctuate and at times I had heart palpitations.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
(female)

barredowl HB User

Thanks for your input. The surgeon said that he would take it out as it sounds like gallbladder. I wonder why drs, etc. think that the higher the hida scan rate is, the better it is functioning? Sometimes I am just so perplexed about this. I am leaning towards the removal heavily as something must give (no pun intended). Cannot keep on living like this as it is NOT living. Been on prescription Prevacid for over 6 months, helped a bit in the beginning but then seemed like reflux and discomfort broke through. This is in addition to all the other "fun" things that present with gallbladder issues. If there is any other info you can share with me about this situation, I would be all ears. Also, how do you feel after the operation and how long ago did you have yours.
Thanks for your help,
Barredowl

Old 01-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
(male)

7NICK HB User

I know this message is quite late, but I am curious if you chose to remove gall bladder and how did you feel afterwards?

Old 01-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

barredowl HB User

I had my gall bladder removed in August. After the surgery, I took pain meds BEFORE feeling any pain to stay on top of things and to help rest and heal. Ate no or low fat foods after a few days of liquid only. There were no problems during the healing stage at all which I was pleasantly surprised about. After about 2 months, I developed bile diarrhea and bad heartburn (had heartburn already but felt worse because of bile). Apparently just a small percentage of people get this and lucky me fell into that group. I was given Sucralfate and Prevacid to help with stomach/heartburn issues and Colestipol for the bile. They are working except when I eat too much at one time or too much fat-laden food (you'd think I would learn by now!!). All in all, am glad I had it done as I don't have that "big fat basketball under the right ribs" feeling or feeling sick all the time. The drs. said it could have burst as it was diseased and then I would have been in a very bad place! Hope this helps.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
(female)

mab383 HB User

First, I'd like to thank everyone for your posts; they have helped me stay sane through a year long ride on a medical merry-go round. I am a 57-year old female in relatively good health; started having stabbing pains under my right rib back in April 2013; had ultrasound (no gallstones), CT scan normal, endoscopy normal, all blood work normal, first HIDA scan @ 48%. Gastro doc sent me to a pain management doc, who sent me to a physical therapist. Gastro said it was neuro-muscular.

Then in Sept., started feeling lightheaded, more pains/tightness under right rib and under right scapula. For last four months, I've been sick as a dog. The gastro doc passed me off to his physician assistant, who is much younger and took the time to listen to all my symptoms. She ordered a second HIDA - came back at 93% - she believes I have a hyperkinetic(?) bladder and it needs to come out. So does my primary doc.

Referred me to a surgeon who blew off all my symptoms; said none of them are related to the gallbladder. He also said my HIDA scan was normal. My symptoms are:

-Intermittent pain under right rib and around to right back; also I get a tight band extending from center to right under rib cage. Pain getting sharper; sometimes extends to under left rib. Worse with movement/exercise. Four episodes of full-on intense pain for about 1/2 hour; then stopped.
-Daily nausea – within hour/hour and 1/2 of eating (like clockwork); sometimes ache/pain in right shoulder; down to elbow. Sometimes nausea wakes me up (3-4 am).
-Gagging; dry heaves in morning.
-Belching all day long – whether I’ve eated or not; ALL DAY long. ALOT of gas, flatulence.
-Constipated; not normal for me. Smaller stools – can’t move bowels without a laxative.
-Lightheadedness; sometimes pretty bad. Weak, lethargic, sick feeling
-Intermittently feel feverish or chills – however temp has never been over 99
-At times cold calves/feet, headache on right side of head
-Overall restlessness.

He said he would do the surgery since my symptoms were getting worse; I'm eating a non-fat, low-fat diet because I'm afraid of inducing the pain. Never, ever would I have thought it would be this hard to diagnose a gallbladder problem. I scheduled the surgery for April 4; walking out of the surgeon's office, I just couldn't believe he blew me off - I guess there is wide variance in what docs and surgeons believe is a sick gallbladder. None of the docs could tell me why I had such a wide variance in my HIDA scan scores - how can they expect me to believe it is an accurate test?!!! Both times, when they injected the CCK, it started the spasming/stabbing pains under my right rib - then for two days after, I was sick. I don't want to yank a healthy organ but I feel this is my gallbladder. I give these docs the benefit of the doubt, understanding that diagnosis is harder without stones - I wish they would give me the same when it comes to my symptoms. Should I get a second opinion ?- there's only 1 other gastro group in town and this has seriously impacted my life - I struggle to get through every day. Then, they'll want to do all the tests again - this is getting very expensive. Sorry for my long post and thank you so much in advance.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
(female)

barredowl HB User

Hi and sorry you have to go through a mess similar to what I did. My dr. said test results were fine even though it was 93%. Took matter into my own hands and had the operation. Glad I did as I, too, struggled with each day with many of the same things you did. You can get a second opinion but I did that too and that dr. said your gallbladder is working great! (Yeah, right!) It was hyperkinetic and I believe more drs. are becoming aware of that condition as time passes. Meanwhile, we suffer. My unofficial opinion - it needs to come out. Good luck with whatever you decide and hope you will feel much better

Old 03-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
(female)

mab383 HB User

Thank you so much barredowl for your thoughts - I know when something isn't right with my body. I guess many docs simply rely on the test results - perhaps they are concerned about malpractice suits. That is why I was grateful for this young gastro physician's assistant - she actually took into account all my symptoms. Have a wonderful weekend!

Old 05-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #9
(female)

mab383 HB User

I just wanted to follow-up to say that I did have the surgery; pathology report came back that I had a chronically inflamed gallbladder - I said to the surgeon - "so there was something wrong with my gallbladder - he replied - oh yeah.

Thank God for my gastro doc's young, smart PA - in spite of all the "normal" test results, she was the only one who listened to all my symptoms and made the right call! Even the gastro doc blew me off! I'm five weeks out and still struggling a bit - have low thyroid levels and possibly a vitamin B12 deficiency -- can gallbladder surgery deplete these? Thank you all again for helping reassure me that I wasn't crazy!

Old 05-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
(female)

barredowl HB User

Hi Mab383, glad you got it out and am feeling a bit better. We all know our bodies much better than drs. especially when something does not feel right. I don't know about the thyroid and b12 issues. I did not have those problems, only the bile diarrhea and some scar tissue twinges. I do take diff. vitamins and herbs but I also have chronic Lyme disease and other conditions. You may try getting b12 shots and seeing how you feel after those (just a suggestion). I know this reply is a couple months late and hopefully now you feel much better. But always keep searching for answers. Even if we don't like the answer at least we can deal with it! Best to you...

Old 05-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
(female)

mab383 HB User

Thanks so much barredowl! I am looking forward to feeling better -- just have to wait it out on the new thyroid meds...I feel like I am healing pretty good from the gallbladder surgery -- yesterday I went for a half-hour walk and today I feel a bit sore in the area where the gallbladder used to be. I'm trying to find the right balance between taking it slowly and increasing my exercise level so that my stamina increases. And you are right...I will keep searching for answers, no matter what! Thanks again!

Reply Reply